law student attire

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
NeedAllTheHelpICanGet
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:06 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby NeedAllTheHelpICanGet » Wed May 14, 2008 10:08 pm

chup wrote:
NeedAllTheHelpICanGet wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote: I was rockin' ties with my jeans and sneakers years before men's fashions mags began advocating the shabby chic look.


Well aren't you special, deary? Would you like some more cookies and milk?

I think OperaAttorney was offering himself as a counterexample to the implication by dogship that the only reason someone would wear a tie with jeans is because they're some hipster lemming or because GQ or the NYTimes told them to.



First of all, we all love Opera around here. He commands our respect. But it's good to know he's got a posse to back him up.

chup wrote:I, too, have been wearing ties with casual dress for years because I LIKE IT AND I THINK IT LOOKS GOOD ON ME.


I'm sure it does, sweetie. And besides, how could anything not look good on you? Would you like some cookies, dear?

chup wrote:If the Times wants to offer me props my style, good for it.

You don't need their approval. Momma already thinks you're special.

Palomita
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:24 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Palomita » Wed May 14, 2008 10:54 pm

Whatever, I'm going to LS in vegas so I can come straight from my shift @ the strip club and not change for class. :P

what happens in law school stays in law school!

User avatar
thedogship
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby thedogship » Wed May 14, 2008 11:01 pm

"combined with a desire to superficially evade their privilege"

This may be the best part about the hipster "culture" for me. And before I offend anyone too much, I am speaking from my own experience of witnessing this phenomenon in DC. And trust me, this happens, a lot. Well-off kids that are embarrassed or frustrated by their relatively privileged suburbanite upbringing, who decide to shun the "mainstream", and move into up-and-coming/mixed income communities (which in DC means pretty bad neighborhoods) to get in touch with the common man and feel that they've left their privilege behind and are experiencing something real. It's not too long after that they realize it isn't all they thought it would be, and at the end of the day they're really just living in a crappy part of town and eating raman noodles which isn't as cool as they thought it would be.

I know this doesn't apply to everyone in the hipster crowd, and certainly not to everyone that dresses in that style, but it is a painfully cyclical phenomenon that I have seen done time and again in DC. How do I know? I used to work at a studio that was chock-full of young, talented, hipster types, new to town and dying to get a taste of real urban living. The buyer's remorse kicked in a few months later and they toned down their bragging. If you want to dress like a hipster, by all means, go ahead. But spare me the whole "holier than thou" "I'm in touch with the common man/I support the little guy" attitude when you grew up better off than me. The hypocrisy and phoniness is what kills me. (Apologies that the rant has taken us away from the fashion focus of this thread.)

User avatar
nate_2001
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby nate_2001 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:09 pm

^^

exactly.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby chup » Wed May 14, 2008 11:44 pm

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet wrote:Would you like some cookies, dear?

Yes, please.

JusAbstinendi
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby JusAbstinendi » Thu May 15, 2008 1:53 am

Depends on the type of cookie.

Which brings me to the next issue at hand: What's the best type of cookie?

I'm going with oatmeal.

User avatar
Hachi
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:43 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Hachi » Thu May 15, 2008 1:58 am

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet wrote:
I'm sure it does, sweetie. And besides, how could anything not look good on you? Would you like some cookies, dear?

chup wrote:If the Times wants to offer me props my style, good for it.

You don't need their approval. Momma already thinks you're special.


I think it's funny that you've somehow called other people in this thread homosexual, and you're referring to presumably men as dear ans sweetie.

I also think its funny that theres all this backlash against 'hipster' culture.

In fact, there seems to be backlash against any type of 'fashion' in this thread. The fact that you're (in particular) trying to knock people with some sense of fashion simply for having it, it says alot about you. and none of it is good, cinnamonslice.

User avatar
Mosel
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:50 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Mosel » Thu May 15, 2008 1:12 pm

I'm sure I've encountered people like thedogship mentioned, but I must say they are at the periphery. Two possible reasons for my observation: the 'underlying philosophy of hipsters' is so interwoven into our being that we don't take notice of it; or the movement has become mainstream to the point that the underlying philosophy is no longer relevant despite its catalystic nature. At least in L.A., hipster is really just a style. Do we happen to lean a little left and maybe harbor some socialistic sympathies? Probably. I know I do. That fact might have had something to do with my introduction to the 'scene', but it's hardly a talking point now.

Style-culture is such an interesting study. I remember when I was in my teens and early twenties fronting a rock band. Then my dress was--absolutely--a wearable soapbox. Now, I just wear what I like. Sounds noble enough, right? The problem is we can never fully separate the form from the idea. A jacket never stands alone in its platonic ideal of function and form. It takes on the entire historical context of what society's collective narrative says it is. A biker jacket and a blazer serve the same function--at least basically. We all know they carry very different connotations, though. So 'what I like' is still probably at least partially influenced by the culture with which I associate it. So no one is every really just dressing for comfort.

Sorry for rambling. I was going somewhere, but then I realized there's really no point in hashing it out. I just love talking about how culture perceives style. It leads to great arguments of causation that beget claims of reverse causation. They invariably end with someone calling someone a tool, the tool calling someone else a douche bag, and then finally someone saying "look man, I just buy what I like!"

I love it. To save time: I am a tool, a douche bag, and a person that buys what he likes, regardless of how independently that value comes to be. :lol:

yay 0L!!!!

User avatar
Undecided83
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Undecided83 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:20 pm

--LinkRemoved--

I plan to dress like these guys.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby kn6542 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:26 pm

or the movement has become mainstream to the point that the underlying philosophy is no longer relevant despite its catalystic nature


That "underlying philosophy" was mainstream long before you were even born. Hipsters just desperately want to be cool. There's nothing more interesting there.

User avatar
Mosel
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:50 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Mosel » Thu May 15, 2008 2:45 pm

kn6542 wrote:
or the movement has become mainstream to the point that the underlying philosophy is no longer relevant despite its catalystic nature


That "underlying philosophy" was mainstream long before you were even born. Hipsters just desperately want to be cool. There's nothing more interesting there.


I would agree, then disagree. Of course the underlying philosophy has been mainstream for a while. It depends on what you're identifying it as....

the need to be cool? yes, that has been mainstream for eons.
the need to not want products from large corporations? not quite as old.
I'm not sure to which piece your were speaking.

I'm saying that the function of the word has shifted to simply defining a look, as opposed to defining a philosophy. As annoying as 'hipsters' are, it is just as annoying that the anti-hipster contigent seems they automatically understand every motivation of every single person who thinks, "hmm...those tight red jeans look cool," and then writes that person off under "they're just hipsters desperately trying to be cool..."

the misunderstanding goes both ways. And that is what I find interesting--opposing cultures trying to understand manifestations of those respective cultures as if both cultures subscribed to the same rubric in the first place. There are different motivations, different values, and basically just completely different people that cannot be forced under the same umbrella. but we all knew that already. So it's all moot.

edited to fix my itallics.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby kn6542 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:55 pm

There is no misunderstanding. Many people want to be cool. What they do to be seen as cool depends on their definition of cool. That's it. It's really quite boring.

CaptainDirtyBird
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:22 am

Re: law student attire

Postby CaptainDirtyBird » Thu May 15, 2008 3:04 pm

Hey...leave khakis alone. JFK wore khakis and so did JB.

Also, when he wore scarves, it was for a fucking reason. Goddam hipsters with thier scarves as accessories - shits gayer than a fanny pack.

User avatar
Mosel
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:50 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Mosel » Thu May 15, 2008 4:25 pm

kn6542 wrote:There is no misunderstanding. Many people want to be cool. What they do to be seen as cool depends on their definition of cool. That's it. It's really quite boring.


if you say so. I find it quite amusing. :mrgreen:

EastCoastExile
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:26 am

Re: law student attire

Postby EastCoastExile » Thu May 15, 2008 5:02 pm

I wonder if splitters will be easily identifiable by their attire. Will it be extended periods of no preparation and looking like crap; and then one day getting really lucky, looking nice and acting like this is some how their true nature?

AndrewScott
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:40 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby AndrewScott » Thu May 15, 2008 5:03 pm

Wow, can there really be this much animosity and insecurity in burgeoning 1Ls? :D

The way I dress is a function of (1) what's required/respectful and (2) what's cost effective/comfortable.

In college, I wore T shirts and jeans, when it wasn't snowing. My last few years I worked downtown part time, so I wore the suit + tie. It made me feel good to be dressed up -- because I actually had a reason to be. I worked at the SEC. If I didn't have a reason, I would have felt like a douche. Did I get a different response from classmates/profs when I wore the suit vs. jeans? Nope. Not in business classes or philosophy classes.

Now I've been working for 2 years, and I wear slacks and a dress shirt every day, usually from CK (because they're on sale :D). When I'm not at the office, I wear the T shirt and jeans, or nice jeans and a Ralph Lauren sweater. Will probably wear the same thing to law school.

What's wrong with khakis besides the fact that they get wrinkled (= ugly and costly upkeep) and they are less comfortable than jeans? Nothing. All the fashionistas in this thread are hilarious. Ties with jeans? Really? Thanks for the laughs. :D

User avatar
brillig
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:40 am

Re: law student attire

Postby brillig » Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 pm

EastCoastExile wrote:I wonder if splitters will be easily identifiable by their attire. Will it be extended periods of no preparation and looking like crap; and then one day getting really lucky, looking nice and acting like this is some how their true nature?

Yes. This day will occur exactly once per 1L class per semester. The day it counts. You will be looking spiffy as usual, and I will roll in in my rock star exam wear and own the test.

EastCoastExile
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:26 am

Re: law student attire

Postby EastCoastExile » Thu May 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Scott Jurgenson I love it:

[/quote]
brillig wrote:Yes. This day will occur exactly once per 1L class per semester. The day it counts. You will be looking spiffy as usual, and I will roll in in my rock star exam wear and own the test.


Phew, I was worried that splitters would be slyly taken in by that helpful salesman (adcomm) at the clothing store convincing you that "the past is the past just pay full sticker price" "you are turning over a new leaf" so they can get commission (boost LSAT) knowing full well you would be silly enough to sign up for that store credit card (loans) despite your history of not living up to your end of the bargain (GPA so low as to not hurt the lowest quartile). :wink:

Unstoppable
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:56 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Unstoppable » Thu May 15, 2008 8:41 pm

EastCoastExile wrote:Phew, I was worried that splitters would be slyly taken in by that helpful salesman (adcomm) at the clothing store convincing you that "the past is the past just pay full sticker price" "you are turning over a new leaf" so they can get commission (boost LSAT) knowing full well you would be silly enough to sign up for that store credit card (loans) despite your history of not living up to your end of the bargain (GPA so low as to not hurt the lowest quartile). :wink:


The LSAT is a better predictor of law school grades than undergraduate GPA, so that's a silly worry. :)

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby chup » Thu May 15, 2008 9:13 pm

AndrewScott wrote:Wow, can there really be this much animosity and insecurity in burgeoning 1Ls? :D

...wait for it.

AndrewScott wrote:Ties with jeans? Really? Thanks for the laughs. :D


FAIL.

User avatar
wardboro
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:46 am

Re: law student attire

Postby wardboro » Thu May 15, 2008 9:17 pm

This is me being sarcastic.
Last edited by wardboro on Thu May 15, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby chup » Thu May 15, 2008 9:59 pm

I can't tell if the above is sarcasm. Stupid internets.

rui
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:49 am

Re: law student attire

Postby rui » Thu May 15, 2008 10:11 pm

///
Last edited by rui on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wardboro
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:46 am

Re: law student attire

Postby wardboro » Thu May 15, 2008 10:14 pm

If I could actually fill out a Jersey like that, I'd definitely try to rock the jersey, at least on occasion, As it is, my poor tiny frame would look minuscule even in Spud Webb's jersey. (Sorry Spud, no offense, and I can't dunk.)

frazz
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:52 am

Re: law student attire

Postby frazz » Thu May 15, 2008 10:25 pm

I went into Vanderbilt Hall at NYU Law last year to go to the bathroom and I saw a guy wearing a sweater vest with no shirt underneath. I think being able to even dress yourself at all might be an advantage.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests