law student attire

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
valrp
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:13 am

Re: law student attire

Postby valrp » Wed May 14, 2008 11:38 am

I don't think hipsters think much about what they put on themselves (as far as thinking the dress "ironic")...they just do what their friends do, no?

User avatar
Oklahoma Mike
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:48 am

Re: law student attire

Postby Oklahoma Mike » Wed May 14, 2008 11:40 am

Oh, I think most hipsters recognize and seek irony, that's the whole point.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby chup » Wed May 14, 2008 11:59 am

I agree, hipsters ruin everything.

However, I like the tie look because it's a throwback very cool, classic WWII-era fashion that also doesn't require looking radically out-of-place and drawing a bunch of attention to oneself. If I could rock the 3-piece + hat, I totally would. Fuck irony, I just think it's classic style.

--ImageRemoved--

Nike6075
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Nike6075 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:15 pm

chup wrote:I agree, hipsters ruin everything.

However, I like the tie look because it's a throwback very cool, classic WWII-era fashion that also doesn't require looking radically out-of-place and drawing a bunch of attention to oneself. If I could rock the 3-piece + hat, I totally would. Fuck irony, I just think it's classic style.

--ImageRemoved--


This only works if you live in a sepia-toned, dimly-lit world. Which, I guess, means it is only acceptable at Cornell...

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed May 14, 2008 1:24 pm

Dressing up for class? Not a chance. I too will rock my tees, tanks, shorts, jeans, flipflops, sandals, sneakers, baseball hats for class.

But for OCIs and other events that require business attire, I'll flip the script and show up in a Gucci suit. I hope ;).
Last edited by OperaAttorney on Wed May 14, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed May 14, 2008 1:28 pm

thedogship wrote:
chup wrote:
thedogship wrote:It's true - and all the pathetic intentional battery, trespass to chattels, and conversion claims you make subsequently will fall on deaf ears as people's first question will be "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" Rule 1: Prateck ya neck.


FALSE: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/fashion/11CODES.html?_r=1&scp=33&sq=ties&st=nyt&oref=slogin

Seriously though, anyone else a big fan of the tie + jeans look? If someone asked me, "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" my answer would be "Yes, I had a good reason. Because it's baller. Now leave me be, peasant."

Image


This look screams "I read that this look was popular in a magazine and I don't think for myself". Jeans + tie on a law student = slightly less annoying than hipsters trying to be ironic by wearing ties.


Hmm. The above statements screams "I'm young, straight, unimaginative, and...."

I was rockin' ties with my jeans and sneakers years before men's fashions mags began advocating the shabby chic look.

User avatar
thedogship
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby thedogship » Wed May 14, 2008 1:47 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
thedogship wrote:
chup wrote:
thedogship wrote:It's true - and all the pathetic intentional battery, trespass to chattels, and conversion claims you make subsequently will fall on deaf ears as people's first question will be "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" Rule 1: Prateck ya neck.


FALSE: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/fashion/11CODES.html?_r=1&scp=33&sq=ties&st=nyt&oref=slogin

Seriously though, anyone else a big fan of the tie + jeans look? If someone asked me, "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" my answer would be "Yes, I had a good reason. Because it's baller. Now leave me be, peasant."

Image


This look screams "I read that this look was popular in a magazine and I don't think for myself". Jeans + tie on a law student = slightly less annoying than hipsters trying to be ironic by wearing ties.


Hmm. The above statements screams "I'm young, straight, unimaginative, and...."

I was rockin' ties with my jeans and sneakers years before men's fashions mags began advocating the shabby chic look.


Good for you. That doesn't mean that it looks good when a million other fools are trying to rock that look. I wore argyle years before it became trendy. And I haven't worn it in years for that same reason because every other "unimaginative" DB out there is wearing it. And I'm not too sure what being young and straight have to do with thinking that looked is played out. Do you have to be old and gay to appreciate something about a look that has past its time? Give me a break. Tie with jeans screams "I'm trying too hard to be noticed" or "I'm trying to be an ironic hipster".

JusAbstinendi
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby JusAbstinendi » Wed May 14, 2008 2:01 pm

WTF is an ironic hipster. Don't make me google this junk.

User avatar
Mosel
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:50 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby Mosel » Wed May 14, 2008 2:09 pm

to sum up:

hipster = what bitter, out-of-style people call effortlessly stylish people?

khakis = bad. always.

Young + straight = tragically out of style

Older + gay = effortlessly stylish; ergo, hipster?

I can't follow any of this shit...it's making my head spin. I live in L.A. where everyone is a hipster, no one notices a tie with a pair of jeans because everyone wears it, preppy is considered fashionable, irony is parodied as ironic, and Ed Hardy is the dress-code for any starbucks cafe east of West Hollywood.

Something tells me I'm going to stick out horribly at LS.

User avatar
valrp
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:13 am

Re: law student attire

Postby valrp » Wed May 14, 2008 2:16 pm

I'm just going to stick to my own personal style. I don't understand why anyone would change the way they dress just for law school. A nice suit or two for OCI's will be neccesary, but I do not see any need for additional clothing purchases. It's funny to me to see so many male's worry about this, though. I thought guy's didn't care what people thought of them?

JusAbstinendi
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby JusAbstinendi » Wed May 14, 2008 2:20 pm

Almost all of this thread has a bit of envy laced throughout it. I don't understand why it's fine to wear jeans and a t-shirt, but if you wear slacks and a tie, you're a tool. Is a more formal attire undesirable because people don't want to look dressed down in comparison and because it raises the bar? Is a less formal attire desirable for the opposite reasons?

Some guy wears a suit to class and you "can just tell" he's doing it to stand out, as opposed to that casual, I-wear-suits-with-panache guy. What? What a ridiculously subjective evaluation. It's interesting seeing the new-style conformism here by lambasting what appears to be the old-style conformism. Maybe in forty years it'll switch back. Fashion's cyclical, right?

User avatar
thedogship
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby thedogship » Wed May 14, 2008 2:24 pm

Mosel wrote:to sum up:

hipster = what bitter, out-of-style people call effortlessly stylish people?

khakis = bad. always.

Young + straight = tragically out of style

Older + gay = effortlessly stylish; ergo, hipster?

I can't follow any of this shit...it's making my head spin. I live in L.A. where everyone is a hipster, no one notices a tie with a pair of jeans because everyone wears it, preppy is considered fashionable, irony is parodied as ironic, and Ed Hardy is the dress-code for any starbucks cafe east of West Hollywood.

Something tells me I'm going to stick out horribly at LS.


Yeah, I can see how that argument got fairly absurd. Hipsters are definitely not effortlessly stylish though. They put as much effort into that look as anyone else. You may stick out a bit, depending on where in the country you end up, but i wouldn't sweat it too much. However, you can't compare style in LA to anywhere else in the country; it's its own little oasis in that regard.

User avatar
thespinstartshere
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:49 am

Re: law student attire

Postby thespinstartshere » Wed May 14, 2008 2:41 pm

I think this thread got "fairly absurd" about four pages ago. My opinion - wear whatever you want as long as it is not obscene and/or distracting. Personally, I prefer a preppy style (polos, oxfords, topsiders, and yes, even khakis). If people think I am stylish, great; if not, I couldn't care less. Perhaps we will all be enlightened by the styling choices of our peers. I am fairly certain that dress is really only significant when interviewing.
Last edited by thespinstartshere on Wed May 14, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NeedAllTheHelpICanGet
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:06 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby NeedAllTheHelpICanGet » Wed May 14, 2008 3:36 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:Hmm. The above statements screams "I'm young, straight, unimaginative, and...."


Hmm. The above statement screams "I'm old, gay, and judgementally creative, :wink: !"

OperaAttorney wrote: I was rockin' ties with my jeans and sneakers years before men's fashions mags began advocating the shabby chic look.


Well aren't you special, deary? Would you like some more cookies and milk?

User avatar
NeedAllTheHelpICanGet
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:06 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby NeedAllTheHelpICanGet » Wed May 14, 2008 3:40 pm

thespinstartshere wrote:I think this thread got "fairly absurd" about four pages ago. My opinion - where whatever you want as long as it is not obscene and/or distracting. Personally, I prefer a preppy style (polos, oxfords, topsiders, and yes, even khakis). If people think I am stylish, great; if not, I couldn't care less. Perhaps we will all be enlightened by the styling choices of our peers. I am fairly certain that dress is really only significant when interviewing.


I love how you correctly identify the absudity of this whole thing, and then make your own whole-hearted, earnest contribution! LOL :lol: !

...Ah...love it...

User avatar
thedogship
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby thedogship » Wed May 14, 2008 3:42 pm

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:Hmm. The above statements screams "I'm young, straight, unimaginative, and...."


Hmm. The above statement screams "I'm old, gay, and judgementally creative, :wink: !"

OperaAttorney wrote: I was rockin' ties with my jeans and sneakers years before men's fashions mags began advocating the shabby chic look.


Well aren't you special, deary? Would you like some more cookies and milk?



My thoughts exactly.

kritiosboy
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby kritiosboy » Wed May 14, 2008 4:04 pm

....

kritiosboy
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby kritiosboy » Wed May 14, 2008 4:06 pm

.
Last edited by kritiosboy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby chup » Wed May 14, 2008 4:10 pm

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote: I was rockin' ties with my jeans and sneakers years before men's fashions mags began advocating the shabby chic look.


Well aren't you special, deary? Would you like some more cookies and milk?

I think OperaAttorney was offering himself as a counterexample to the implication by dogship that the only reason someone would wear a tie with jeans is because they're some hipster lemming or because GQ or the NYTimes told them to. I, too, have been wearing ties with casual dress for years because I LIKE IT AND I THINK IT LOOKS GOOD ON ME. If the Times wants to offer me props my style, good for it.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby chup » Wed May 14, 2008 4:12 pm

kritiosboy wrote:--LinkRemoved--

Every day, all day. my assitant will be wearing a matching suit/


DE PLANE BOSS, DE PLANE!
Image

User avatar
thespinstartshere
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:49 am

Re: law student attire

Postby thespinstartshere » Wed May 14, 2008 4:15 pm

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet wrote:
thespinstartshere wrote:I think this thread got "fairly absurd" about four pages ago. My opinion - where whatever you want as long as it is not obscene and/or distracting. Personally, I prefer a preppy style (polos, oxfords, topsiders, and yes, even khakis). If people think I am stylish, great; if not, I couldn't care less. Perhaps we will all be enlightened by the styling choices of our peers. I am fairly certain that dress is really only significant when interviewing.


I love how you correctly identify the absudity of this whole thing, and then make your own whole-hearted, earnest contribution! LOL :lol: !

...Ah...love it...


You are certainly correct in pointing out the irony. Unfortunately, my gunner personality will not allow me to pass up an opportunity to opine, regardless of the level of absurdity. Rest assured, though, my contribution was only half-hearted.

kritiosboy
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby kritiosboy » Wed May 14, 2008 4:17 pm

chup wrote:
kritiosboy wrote:--LinkRemoved--

Every day, all day. my assitant will be wearing a matching suit/


DE PLANE BOSS, DE PLANE!
Image


lol

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby chup » Wed May 14, 2008 4:21 pm

thespinstartshere wrote:Rest assured, though, my contribution was only half-hearted.

A real gunner would never have written that sentence.

User avatar
thespinstartshere
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:49 am

Re: law student attire

Postby thespinstartshere » Wed May 14, 2008 4:32 pm

chup wrote:
thespinstartshere wrote:Rest assured, though, my contribution was only half-hearted.

A real gunner would never have written that sentence.


Isn't that the truth. I guess I need to put away the E&Es and Hornbooks and concentrate on what I am typing.

User avatar
nate_2001
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: law student attire

Postby nate_2001 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:56 pm

Mosel wrote:to sum up:

hipster = what bitter, out-of-style people call effortlessly stylish people?

khakis = bad. always.

Young + straight = tragically out of style

Older + gay = effortlessly stylish; ergo, hipster?

I can't follow any of this shit...it's making my head spin. I live in L.A. where everyone is a hipster, no one notices a tie with a pair of jeans because everyone wears it, preppy is considered fashionable, irony is parodied as ironic, and Ed Hardy is the dress-code for any starbucks cafe east of West Hollywood.

Something tells me I'm going to stick out horribly at LS.



The wikipedia article on hipsters is actually pretty good, but you'll find it perhaps somewhat East Coast centric.


The vintage clothing and thrift store appearance of hipsters in a modern liberal context reveals a wish to consume ethically, combined with a desire to superficially evade their privilege; to avoid purchasing new clothes from large corporations accused of unfair working conditions, such as Gap and Nike. This choice usually manifests itself through refusing to purchase items such as clothing from large corporations, but also extends to a preference for bands who are not signed to major labels and/or who do not offer their creative output for use by the advertising industry.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_%28contemporary_subculture%29




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests