law student attire Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
stratocophic

Gold

Re: law student attire

Post by stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:51 pm

bignoseknowsnoes wrote:
logicianwannabe wrote:My dad is bugging me like crazy about this in emails--that if I want to succeed in the legal profession, I have to seriously improve the way I dress. Granted, how you dress definitely affects others' perceptions of the kind of person you are. But typically, I wear dark button down shirts with semi-formal pants, always tucked in and with a belt, black socks, leather shoes, currently I'm wearing a black leather jacket. All my clothes are in good condition, an I don't think I have any problem with putting things together that flagrantly don't match. Perhaps I could iron more often, but that is all. . . I don't really see any flaws in my dress--perhaps it's not highly elegant/fashionable, but is that really necessary? Certainly if I dressed any more formally for class, I would get the "tool" label, and if I dressed more "fashionably" I would have to take out more loans.

What are opinions on this matter?
Do you, by any chance, have two dads?
Oooooh man. *shakes head*

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:58 pm

I plan wearing v-neck shirts from Hanes, flip-flops, and denim or cargo shorts. Maybe some sweats with some brand spanking new sneakers.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:00 pm

chadwick218 wrote:My attire every single day: nikes, jeans, long-sleeve t-shirt, various colored northface fleeces. I go for weeks at a time without shaving ... I don't give a shit b/c it really doesn't matter and it's easy.
I'm tired of shaving as we speak. Cannot wait to start law school so I can stop shaving daily.

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:02 pm

blerg wrote:
ari20dal7 wrote:
For those of you who haven't had to wake up nearly everyday and wear a suit and tie, it gets old really fast. I would enjoy your last few years of being able to dress comfortably. Once you enter the suit and tie world, the only real variety you have is your tie. And maybe your shoes. And maybe a light colored suit you wear on Fridays.

Seriously, don't be in a hurry to look like a professional, it pretty much sucks to dress nice every day.

The kids with collared button up shirts stood out like at admitted student events. Not in a good way.
Damn skippy. This is particularly true when your coworkers don't know how to dress, as it becomes impossible to care about dressing sharply in such an environment. The worst thing is when you have to wear a suit and don't care what it looks like.

I AM SO EXCITED TO NOT WEAR HEELS AND SLACKS EVERY SINGLE DAY. Also, to have my dry cleaning bill come down a little.
+1. I will still remain somewhat fashionable. Def dress down more. I foresee lots of jeans. Never was comfortable in sweats for an entire day.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:06 pm

ogman05 wrote:
blerg wrote:
ari20dal7 wrote:
For those of you who haven't had to wake up nearly everyday and wear a suit and tie, it gets old really fast. I would enjoy your last few years of being able to dress comfortably. Once you enter the suit and tie world, the only real variety you have is your tie. And maybe your shoes. And maybe a light colored suit you wear on Fridays.

Seriously, don't be in a hurry to look like a professional, it pretty much sucks to dress nice every day.

The kids with collared button up shirts stood out like at admitted student events. Not in a good way.
Damn skippy. This is particularly true when your coworkers don't know how to dress, as it becomes impossible to care about dressing sharply in such an environment. The worst thing is when you have to wear a suit and don't care what it looks like.

I AM SO EXCITED TO NOT WEAR HEELS AND SLACKS EVERY SINGLE DAY. Also, to have my dry cleaning bill come down a little.
+1. I will still remain somewhat fashionable. Def dress down more. I foresee lots of jeans. Never was comfortable in sweats for an entire day.
Sweats for an entire day is gross. Not sure why, but it is just gross, lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:04 pm

aschup wrote:Steamer >>> Iron >>> GULC >>> GW >>> George Mason.
Fixd.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:05 pm

Sweats are disgusting.

I plan on wearing decent-looking jeans and t-shirts, along with my boots or sneakers.

That should be pleasantly anonymous.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:09 pm

News flash: The only thing your classmates will care about is if you're wearing something way too tight or exposing.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:13 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:News flash: The only thing your classmates will care about is if you're wearing something way too tight or exposing.
Assuming this would be a plus. I'm planning on wearing stripper dresses and clear heels.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gregw8705

New

Post by gregw8705 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:51 am

gdane5 wrote:See maybe its just me, but I wouldnt like "suit guy" simply because he wore suits everyday. It would come off as very pretentious and stuck up. Like "Im going to dress better than everyone because I am better than everyone". A really awesome prank would have been if everyone in one of his classes wore the same suit as him on a given day. Maybe some would have worn a top hat or an ascot.
He's apparently been doing it for years. It's not an affectation or anything like that. That's obviously your first impression, but he's grounded. Lots of 1Ls here have been showing up in suits for 1L OCI, so I think I'm going to start asking him how his interview went everyday just for kicks.

Dingo McPhee

New

Post by Dingo McPhee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:16 pm

logicianwannabe wrote:But typically, I wear dark button down shirts with semi-formal pants, always tucked in and with a belt, black socks, leather shoes, currently I'm wearing a black leather jacket.
Like this?
--ImageRemoved--

Delinquent

New

Post by Delinquent » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:21 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:News flash: The only thing your classmates will care about is if you're wearing something way too tight or exposing.
Assuming this would be a plus. I'm planning on wearing stripper dresses and clear heels.

Clear heels? That's just nasty...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

Go on...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

Me gustas, me gustas.

Tienes novio?

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 pm

You mean like this
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Dingo McPhee wrote:
logicianwannabe wrote:But typically, I wear dark button down shirts with semi-formal pants, always tucked in and with a belt, black socks, leather shoes, currently I'm wearing a black leather jacket.
Like this?
--ImageRemoved--
:lol:
--ImageRemoved--

KNW13

New

Post by KNW13 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:16 pm

Didn't want to rifle through the 10 pages of this thread, but, to solve all your problems:

Pajama Jeans.

--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”