law student attire Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
chup

Diamond

Re: law student attire

Post by chup » Thu May 15, 2008 10:33 pm

frazz wrote:I went into Vanderbilt Hall at NYU Law last year to go to the bathroom and I saw a guy wearing a sweater vest with no shirt underneath. I think being able to even dress yourself at all might be an advantage.
ZOMG john mayer goes to NYU LAw!!!!??

Seriously though, how the hell does someone pull that off?

frazz

New

Post by frazz » Thu May 15, 2008 11:45 pm

aschup wrote:
frazz wrote:I went into Vanderbilt Hall at NYU Law last year to go to the bathroom and I saw a guy wearing a sweater vest with no shirt underneath. I think being able to even dress yourself at all might be an advantage.
ZOMG john mayer goes to NYU LAw!!!!??

Seriously though, how the hell does someone pull that off?
Not sure if that is a sweater vest or just a sleeveless shirt. Also, if you are famous enough you can wear anything. This guy wasn't famous though. He also didn't wear deodorant, which I'm sure famous people like John Mayer make sure they do.

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Fri May 16, 2008 2:35 am

lots of famous people don't have good hygiene either- they don't really have to dress well or bathe.

Matthew McConaughey is notorious for not wearing deodorant and smelling a little bad. But, he's Matthew McConaughey, he can do whatever he wants.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Fri May 16, 2008 6:13 pm

According to Google, he also never wears a shirt. Ever.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:15 pm

Matthew McConaughey is so unattractive. I don't get it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Fri May 16, 2008 6:22 pm

aschup wrote:According to Google, he also never wears a shirt. Ever.
Matt Damon confirms it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuYD2cwMbpw

One time he couldn't get his shirt off, almost ruined his career:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxkGgV-9R4s

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet

New

Post by NeedAllTheHelpICanGet » Sat May 17, 2008 4:52 am

Hachi wrote:
NeedAllTheHelpICanGet wrote:
I'm sure it does, sweetie. And besides, how could anything not look good on you? Would you like some cookies, dear?
aschup wrote:If the Times wants to offer me props my style, good for it.
You don't need their approval. Momma already thinks you're special.
I think it's funny that you've somehow called other people in this thread homosexual, and you're referring to presumably men as dear ans sweetie.

I also think its funny that theres all this backlash against 'hipster' culture.

In fact, there seems to be backlash against any type of 'fashion' in this thread. The fact that you're (in particular) trying to knock people with some sense of fashion simply for having it, it says alot about you. and none of it is good, cinnamonslice.

You know that thing that kids do on the t.v., with one hand, palm-down, passing approximately 3 inches over one's head from the front going backwards? That gesture would be appropriate at this juncture. (hint: re-read my posts)

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet

New

Post by NeedAllTheHelpICanGet » Sat May 17, 2008 4:55 am

aschup wrote:
NeedAllTheHelpICanGet wrote:Would you like some cookies, dear?
Yes, please.

hahaha...now you're gettin' it...

Hachi

New

Post by Hachi » Sat May 17, 2008 11:57 pm

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet wrote: You know that thing that kids do on the t.v., with one hand, palm-down, passing approximately 3 inches over one's head from the front going backwards? That gesture would be appropriate at this juncture. (hint: re-read my posts)
How I read this: I argue the same way I dress. Like a 6th grader!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eriro

New

Post by Eriro » Mon May 19, 2008 3:01 pm

law school fashion role model:

Circe

Bronze

Post by Circe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:13 am

Do any girls actually dress that way in law school? You know...feminim and dressy? From what I've seen, girls in law school dress quite casually and more on the boring masculine side *yawn*.

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:21 am

TraceyCharlotte wrote:Do any girls actually dress that way in law school? You know...feminim and dressy? From what I've seen, girls in law school dress quite casually and more on the boring masculine side *yawn*.
If you catch me wearing pants at any point during 1L, you can sue me.

Circe

Bronze

Post by Circe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:40 am

deal. :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:36 am

I thought the girls were dressier at Duke when I visited (my sample size is one class session), but at Michigan there's maybe more of a mix. I don't feel like a freak wearing a dress or a sweatshirt. And it's not like high school where people notice and care what people are wearing. Except for Inappropriate T-shirt Guy. He bugged the crap out of all of us who really didn't want to stare at a topless woman on his back during Civ Pro (where he sat front and center) at least once a week.

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:14 am

I'll have been in uniform for five years by the time I get to law school -- it's like wearing digital camo pajamas -- so I anticipate one of two reactions when I finally get to start wearing civilian clothes again...

1) I dress to the nines because my feminine side comes roaring out after years of hibernation, or...

2) My lazy side decides dressy clothes are not nearly comfortable enough, and follows years of digital camo pajamas with actual pajamas in class.

It's a toss up.

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:29 am

Alexandria wrote:Except for Inappropriate T-shirt Guy. He bugged the crap out of all of us who really didn't want to stare at a topless woman on his back during Civ Pro (where he sat front and center) at least once a week.
That's a classy dude, right there.

In that case, THIS is what I'm wearing to class [not work safe]. Think that'll go over well?

jump3452

New

Post by jump3452 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:32 am

I have a hot pink hard plastic shell for my Mac...am I going to be judged? hahahaha...and I certainly plan on wearing skirts, dresses, and maybe the occasional heel/cute flat to class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:19 pm

EmmyD wrote:
TraceyCharlotte wrote:Do any girls actually dress that way in law school? You know...feminim and dressy? From what I've seen, girls in law school dress quite casually and more on the boring masculine side *yawn*.
If you catch me wearing pants at any point during 1L, you can sue me.
You mean people can go to class without wearing pants? F-ing sweet! Now I'm looking forward to law school even more - boxers and basketball jerseys it is for SoftBoiledLife.

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:29 pm

...I don't want to be seen nor do I think people want to see me in panties; dresses and skirts it is...

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:44 pm

I LOVE wearing dresses and skirts too. It always makes me feel so feminine.

....but be careful about saying no pants. Those Michigan winters can get pretty rough especially if you're just wearing skirts or dresses.

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Tight, skirts, and dresses :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Ahhhh...I stand corrected.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:37 pm

zOMG CLOTHES!
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

optimusbjork

New

Post by optimusbjork » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:59 pm

thedogship wrote:
logicianwannabe wrote:
jgarr wrote:I don't know why anyone would 'dress up' for class. I'll be sporting the mesh shorts as far into winter as possible.
My dad thinks it's necessary to show everyone that you're sharp, motivated, and organized by dressing fashionably and neatly in semi-formal dress every day. He contends that this will be the impression you want your classmates and professors to remember about you, and that this impression would be absolutely essential later on, since they might serve as references in future jobs. It seems to me that dressing in this way would instead tell people that you're a conservative, sheltered, uptight, awkward gunner that they should avoid dealing with at all costs.

Your dad is wrong. You are right. Unless it is an interview day, important meeting, etc... do not overdress for class. No one cares. Unless that's your natural dress style, don't be "that" person who is trying to impress everyone else. 1. it won't work, and 2. it will have the opposite effect. . . . There are way too many uptight, rigid, and socially awkward people in law school as it is. Don't be one of those people. Be normal. This is probably the last chance in your life you get to dress normally on a regular basis. Don't ruin it for yourself because your dad has an antiquated vision of what law professors care about.
Word.

Law professors couldn't care less what you're wearing if you can't even state the facts of the case.

Dressing up for school everyday will definitely make you stand out as "that guy." Plus, after 5 days of classes and 8+ hours of being at the law school, you'll start to wish you dressed comfortably. As long as you shower, you're good. ;)

Omaha2006

New

Post by Omaha2006 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:17 pm

If anyone "tucks in their shirt" for no reason in undergrad, he is a tool.

Dress like a cool guy in law school. If anything it will show you have confidence.
Last edited by Omaha2006 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”