law student attire Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

New

Re: law student attire

Post by 20090922 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:06 pm

logicianwannabe wrote:My dad thinks it's necessary to show everyone that you're sharp, motivated, and organized by dressing fashionably and neatly in semi-formal dress every day. He contends that this will be the impression you want your classmates and professors to remember about you, and that this impression would be absolutely essential later on, since they might serve as references in future jobs. It seems to me that dressing in this way would instead tell people that you're a conservative, sheltered, uptight, awkward gunner that they should avoid dealing with at all costs.
So basically, your dad wants you to look like a complete tool to the rest of us. Are you sure he isn't saying this to you so he can laugh at you later on?

jgarr

New

Post by jgarr » Tue May 13, 2008 12:07 pm

If you're really worried about it, have some friends snap some pics of you in like 3 different 'appropriate' outfits on the first day of school. Send them to your dad, and then after that tell him you are too busy to bother with pictures and wear whatever the hell you want.

On another note, I have a few friends at Michigan Dental school right now and they are required to do the khaki/sweater/button down shirt thing in class.

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Tue May 13, 2008 12:14 pm

lazyewok wrote:
ari20dal7 wrote:
Laugh all you want now, but you won't be laughing when some 3L stuffs you in a locker and takes your lunch money. It's a jungle out there.
O..M..G! Are you serious?! ::wets pants::

sounds scary. is there some kind of law school mafia i can pay to protect me?

hiphoppopotamus

New

Post by hiphoppopotamus » Tue May 13, 2008 12:24 pm

you don't want your dress to be memorable whatsoever, for either extreme...looking like a slob or an overly dressed tool will send the wrong impression, every time. just be clean and focus your energy other things, like your classes. i guarantee people will remember you for what comes out of your mouth much more than what's covering your body.

Undecided83

New

Post by Undecided83 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:28 pm

abbygal0330 wrote:You should wear whatever will make you feel most comfortable while you are busting your ass to get good grades.
This is right. As a senior in UG, I think I dressed up a little more than most of my friends for class. I think it was because it is hard for me to stay focused and motivated if I am dressed for an afternoon on the couch. I was extremely busy with the thesis, job hunting, etc.

I suspect I´ll be the same way in law school, especially since I have been out of school and working for 2 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Tue May 13, 2008 12:32 pm

i expect law school to be a mixed bag pretty much like UG. there'll be people in sweat pants and people in nice fashionable clothes just because people have different styles of dress normally. but i also think it'll be pretty easy to tell whos dressed up cause thats their natural style and whos dressed up like a douche trying to iimpress :P

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue May 13, 2008 12:33 pm

I think what you wear is fine, and I don't think you need to dress up anymore than you do.

But I would say that although jeans and a tshirt is fine, people should be wary about dressing like a complete scrub. Everyone understands if you miss a shower one day, maybe even two if it's around finals, but DO NOT be the smelly, gross, dirty kid in class. I don't care how good your answers are to questions or how smart you are, if you are this kid people will ALWAYS remember you as that kid.

Living in America

Bronze

Post by Living in America » Tue May 13, 2008 12:42 pm

During my law school visits, I noticed that many people dressed a lot better for class than I would have expected. I don't think you will be labeled a "tool" if you dress well for class, as long as it isn't over the top.

New

Post by 20090922 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Living in America wrote:During my law school visits, I noticed that many people dressed a lot better for class than I would have expected. I don't think you will be labeled a "tool" if you dress well for class, as long as it isn't over the top.
I'm going to wear a 3-piece suit everyday for class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Living in America

Bronze

Post by Living in America » Tue May 13, 2008 12:48 pm

I think I'll just dress like My Cousin Vinny:

--ImageRemoved--

jgarr

New

Post by jgarr » Tue May 13, 2008 12:55 pm

Living in America wrote:I think I'll just dress like My Cousin Vinny:

--ImageRemoved--
I think you should dress more like Apollo Creed

Fourttier

New

Post by Fourttier » Tue May 13, 2008 12:56 pm

I knew a law student who dressed like a slob, looked like a slob, and kinda acted like a slob. He graduated ranked number 8 in his class, of a Tier 2 school. And then was hired for the highest known starting salary in his graduating class. Seems that how you dress in law school doen't really matter in some cases.

jgarr

New

Post by jgarr » Tue May 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Fourttier wrote:I knew a law student who dressed like a slob, looked like a slob, and kinda acted like a slob. He graduated ranked number 8 in his class, of a Tier 2 school. And then was hired for the highest known starting salary in his graduating class. Seems that how you dress in law school doen't really matter in some cases.
Ironing shirts = time lost studying : )

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue May 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Fourttier wrote:I knew a law student who dressed like a slob, looked like a slob, and kinda acted like a slob. He graduated ranked number 8 in his class, of a Tier 2 school. And then was hired for the highest known starting salary in his graduating class. Seems that how you dress in law school doen't really matter in some cases.
Well yeah it doesn't matter for firms that don't see you on a regular basis, and only see you dressed up for the interview. Of course they aren't going to care that you dressed like a homeless person on a daily basis, because they don't know about that side of you.

But the OP was talking about how your peers and professors will see you.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Tue May 13, 2008 1:05 pm

My goal is not to be noticed for my dress.

From my ASD I remember the kid with the tucked in button up shirt and khakis that didn't really fit, and an annoying kid in a suit sort of deal who kept asking questions about IP Law during a financial aid presentation. I couldn't tell you what the others were wearing, but it wasn't distracting or noticeable.

For older students, I think that dressing nicely is more appropriate. I really don't think that my professors are going to remember my clothes as long as they

1. Are clean
2. Cover me properly
3. Fit properly

jgarr

New

Post by jgarr » Tue May 13, 2008 1:05 pm

I think as long as you are groomed and don't wear the same stuff everyday you are fine. And please DONT SMELL BAD if you go to NU.

Undecided83

New

Post by Undecided83 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:14 pm

lishi wrote:...they aren't going to care that you dressed like a homeless person...
Being well dressed is so easy a caveman could do it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Tue May 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Undecided83 wrote:
lishi wrote:...they aren't going to care that you dressed like a homeless person...
Being well dressed is so easy a caveman could do it.

Mosel

New

Post by Mosel » Tue May 13, 2008 1:43 pm

but i also think it'll be pretty easy to tell whos dressed up cause thats their natural style and whos dressed up like a douche trying to iimpress
TITCR.

Don't forget: this is professional school and there will be students who are well-removed from undergrad, have been in the work force for some time already, and have already 'transitioned' into wearing business clothes. But like the quote above states, I think it will be easy to pick out the people who dress a little nicer simply because that's their thing and that's what they're accustomed to. It will also be easy to pick out the people who are all snazzed up because "I need to look like a winner to be a winner!!" The former earn my respect. The latter earn my LOLs.

raggerga

New

Post by raggerga » Tue May 13, 2008 2:00 pm

I love threads like these. They make me feel way better about my chances during OCI. There are a lot of awkward people out there.

FWIW Jeans and t shirts, and flipflops unless its pouring rain or snowing.

ms. snackmeister

New

Post by ms. snackmeister » Tue May 13, 2008 2:15 pm

I really think you dad is well intentioned, but yes I think that slacks and botton up shirt is a little too much for everyday. I was also worried about what to wear, but once I sat in on some classes I realized its pretty much 1/2 a step up from undergrad. Meaning jeans is okay with nicer shirt than just a t-shirt. I think polos are fine for guys. Just be clean and well groomed. I recommend going to your local law school and sitting in on a few classes, maybe even take your dad with you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Go Bears

New

Post by Go Bears » Tue May 13, 2008 2:45 pm

I can't believe someone on here thought that polos/button-up casual shirts are overdressing.

I am 32 years old, and there is no way that I'm going to look like a homeless person in class. I would look like a tool on the opposite extreme - the oldster who is trying to look hip (I remember a scene on "Friends" - it was a sitcom back in the olden days - when one of the main characters Joey was trying to get an acting part written for a 19-year-old. He came out with a Knicks jersey, sweats pulled down around his ass and a stocking cap. I don't want to be that guy).

I mean, polos and button-ups w/jeans or very casual khakis are essentially my couch clothes these days.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Tue May 13, 2008 2:54 pm

Go Bears wrote:I can't believe someone on here thought that polos/button-up casual shirts are overdressing.

I am 32 years old, and there is no way that I'm going to look like a homeless person in class. I would look like a tool on the opposite extreme - the oldster who is trying to look hip (I remember a scene on "Friends" - it was a sitcom back in the olden days - when one of the main characters Joey was trying to get an acting part written for a 19-year-old. He came out with a Knicks jersey, sweats pulled down around his ass and a stocking cap. I don't want to be that guy).

I mean, polos and button-ups w/jeans or very casual khakis are essentially my couch clothes these days.
I hear ya. Nonetheless, there's a wide range of button up shirts--some are clearly more casual than others. I'm definitely going to be wearing button up shirts and khakis when I go to LS, but I doubt I'll be making use of my collection of solid blue, solid white, and striped blue shirts (all very business casual and none of which can be worn without being tucked in). I'm certainly not going to be ironing my clothes on a regular basis.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:58 pm

Far as I'm concerned, jeans, shorts, t-shirts are all fine so long as they're clean. Hell, I even rock jerseys sometimes when the mood strikes. Point being, just do what makes you happy so long as you're clean.

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Tue May 13, 2008 3:03 pm

i can't imagine anyone would go to class smelly... if i go to the gym between class i'll make sure i shower :)

im gonna dress the same way i normally do (tshirt, jeans, and flip flops). you have your last three years of casual dress freedom, if a tshirt and jeans is what youre most comfortable in why not take that opportunity?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”