FIRST YEAR DISMISSAL FOR LOW GPA

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kengalante

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:02 pm

FIRST YEAR DISMISSAL FOR LOW GPA

Postby kengalante » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi
I received a dismissal letter from my law school I am in my first year, I brought up 2 incidents of disturbance that occurred during 2 separate tests to my Dean in person.

In the first incident a student seated to my right during the test he was cheating on his final exam by looking at his phone during the test he was also receiving several calls his phone had several vibrations. This disturbed several students and a big argument took place between this student to my right and with the student in-front of me who was causing the issue,so the proctor came and took this students phone away and this student was sent to deans office. This commotion created a distraction for several minuets As we know during test Time is of the essence (Time limited test, 50 mins exam around 10 mins were wasted)

The second incident happened during the (Contracts test) I went to the bathroom for 5 mins leaving my laptop open with unfinished Essay on the school provided site and when I returned back to the class someone had closed my laptop so I temporarily lost the test essay since my screen went black IT dept rep was called in for help and they rebooted the site and recovered the exam essay, I was very nervous and scared of loosing this Essay which made me loose several minuets of this limited time test so I was working in panic and quickly trying to put try the Essay together with the possibility of time running.

After listening to both incidents Dean has agreed to allow me to retake the first test only (Legal Process) also Dean acknowledged the disturbance occurred in that class also few other students had the similar complain and now I am allowed with several other students to retake the first test for the legal process.
The multiple choice Themis questions that were given in the class, I scored a 95% on. These are the bar questions . The teacher said that if anyone scored above an 80% there final grade would be rounded up by 1/3. The professor said that she wouldn’t be able to do that, but Dean said he would round up the F by 1/3 of a grade after speaking with the register office.

For (Contracts) I met the teacher and went over the test with her and while reviewing the test she agreed she missed several corrections and when I pointed out that these corrections could have helped my final GPA so she said well even these few corrections would not have helped me to bring the overall GPA and would have not stopped the termination from school (I am very disturb by this statement by the teacher who takes these corrections this lightly and spoke loosely about the termination. I believe every point matters and it all contributes towards my final GPA.I should be allowed to retake the 2nd test too.)


My problem is even if I Retook legal process and get (A )from (C+) MY combine Gpa will be at 2.169 which does not even qualify for Academic policy committee hearing a minimum required for hearing is GPA of 2.183. If I retake the contract final and even get a I will be above the required GPA.
I am very confident about myself.

Only way I will qualify if I was allowed to retake both the subjects.

Please advice,What should I do ?
Should I take some legal help ?
Should I pressure school to allow me to retake second test ?
Should I loose this year and next year and start year after as suggested by Dean ?
Please help

tier4_partner

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Re: FIRST YEAR DISMISSAL FOR LOW GPA

Postby tier4_partner » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:15 pm

What we’re all of your grades? Were you attending a 4th tier school? How much debt do you presently have?

User avatar
totesTheGoat

Moderator
Posts: 816
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: FIRST YEAR DISMISSAL FOR LOW GPA

Postby totesTheGoat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 pm

kengalante wrote:I should be allowed to retake the 2nd test too.


Why? Why wouldn't your test simply be regraded? Beyond that, it sounds like the number of corrections the prof would make wouldn't be enough to get you reinstated at school.

My problem is even if I Retook legal process and get (A )from (C+) MY combine Gpa will be at 2.169 which does not even qualify for Academic policy committee hearing a minimum required for hearing is GPA of 2.183.


Sounds like you're not going to be returning for 2L.

If I retake the contract final and even get a I will be above the required GPA.


You didn't list any reason why you should be allowed to retake the exam. Minor corrections to a graded exam are handled through regrades, and usually a school has a policy and deadlines for regrades. Did you meet your school's deadline for regrading?

I am very confident about myself.


I can see that.


Please advice,What should I do ?

Find a new profession.

Should I take some legal help ?

What, exactly, would you hope to accomplish with that? You didn't meet the GPA cutoff, and even if the one ambiguous grade is resolved most in your favor, you still don't meet the GPA cutoff.

Should I pressure school to allow me to retake second test ?

You won't accomplish anything. They aren't going to let you retake just because the prof said they could find a couple extra points for you.

Should I loose this year and next year and start year after as suggested by Dean ?

Depends. Is somebody else paying for your schooling? If so, sure. If not, find a new profession.

kengalante

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Re: FIRST YEAR DISMISSAL FOR LOW GPA

Postby kengalante » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:14 pm

I do not want to give up becoming a Attorney.
I am going to apply in few other schools

tier4_partner

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Re: FIRST YEAR DISMISSAL FOR LOW GPA

Postby tier4_partner » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:03 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
kengalante wrote:I should be allowed to retake the 2nd test too.


Why? Why wouldn't your test simply be regraded? Beyond that, it sounds like the number of corrections the prof would make wouldn't be enough to get you reinstated at school.

My problem is even if I Retook legal process and get (A )from (C+) MY combine Gpa will be at 2.169 which does not even qualify for Academic policy committee hearing a minimum required for hearing is GPA of 2.183.


Sounds like you're not going to be returning for 2L.

If I retake the contract final and even get a I will be above the required GPA.


You didn't list any reason why you should be allowed to retake the exam. Minor corrections to a graded exam are handled through regrades, and usually a school has a policy and deadlines for regrades. Did you meet your school's deadline for regrading?

I am very confident about myself.


I can see that.


Please advice,What should I do ?

Find a new profession.

Should I take some legal help ?

What, exactly, would you hope to accomplish with that? You didn't meet the GPA cutoff, and even if the one ambiguous grade is resolved most in your favor, you still don't meet the GPA cutoff.

Should I pressure school to allow me to retake second test ?

You won't accomplish anything. They aren't going to let you retake just because the prof said they could find a couple extra points for you.

Should I loose this year and next year and start year after as suggested by Dean ?

Depends. Is somebody else paying for your schooling? If so, sure. If not, find a new profession.



On second though. Forget my questions. I’ll just second this. Probably time to move on unless rich uncle bob is paying your tab.

uncle_rico

New
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:09 am

Re: FIRST YEAR DISMISSAL FOR LOW GPA

Postby uncle_rico » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:41 pm

kengalante wrote:I do not want to give up becoming a Attorney.
I am going to apply in few other schools

At the very least you should really consider taking some time off before deciding to reapply to law school. You will have an uphill battle trying to apply to law schools given your dismissal and may very well be stuck choosing between schools that ought to be shut down. After some time off, reevaluate why you want to go to law school and consider whether it is a good option for you given your past performance. Too be blunt, it looks like you did poorly in all of your classes and even if you were able to retake these exams you would need a bit of a hail mary to get the grades that you need to remain eligible. MAybe after some time off you'll be better focused if you decide to go back to law school or maybe you'll decide that law school isn't for you

kengalante

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Re: FIRST YEAR DISMISSAL FOR LOW GPA

Postby kengalante » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 pm

I was thinking of applying for fall semester in the same school ?

tier4_partner

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Re: FIRST YEAR DISMISSAL FOR LOW GPA

Postby tier4_partner » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:12 pm

You have to be a flame.

Goran

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Re: FIRST YEAR DISMISSAL FOR LOW GPA

Postby Goran » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:39 am

Ken,

I quit my first semester. Its the same result of having to leave the school and you think you have this horrible GPA hanging over your head. Take time off to fully consider if this is what you really want and reapply somewhere else. You can still come back from it. I relocated to the east coast and went somewhere else. Graduated with a 3.8. I logged in so you can send me a private message if you want additional tips.



Return to “Law School FAQ?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: totesTheGoat and 9 guests