Law Review and Transferring Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
teacher2lawyer

New

Law Review and Transferring

Post by teacher2lawyer » Wed May 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Perhaps this is better suited in the "transfer" forum, but I will attempt to ask here.

I am planning on transferring schools. I am a part-time student, so if my upcoming grades (coupled with next semester's grades) are good enough to transfer, should I still attempt to write-on to law review?

My school's law review web page states that associate editors are on law review for a year. My concern is that if I make law review then transfer, I will be placing the law review in a bad position because they could have given my spot to someone else who didn't intend to transfer. I don't know if this is a big deal or not, so I would like to gather everyone's thoughts. Does anyone have experience with this predicament, and if so, what was the outcome?

Generic1L

New

Re: Law Review and Transferring

Post by Generic1L » Thu May 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi. I transferred from my original school after making law review, but I graded-on to law review. That being said, while my departure may have been a little inconvenient, it allowed another student to write-on after me, so I think it should be fine.

Law review is pretty intensive work, so the school will probably offer the spot up to someone else if you leave. If for some reason this is not the standard procedure, I think writing-on is still justified because transferring out is not a forgone conclusion (e.g. you may change your mind, there may be a discrepancy, etc.). Additionally, for selfish reasons, I would also write on because making your school's law review, even if you transfer, will be relevant for OCI.

aj1221

New

Re: Law Review and Transferring

Post by aj1221 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:10 pm

The usual process is that law review will just give your spot to the next highest scoring student. It generally shouldn't inconvenience them because this happens every year. As long as you let them know as soon as your deadlines allow, it should be ok.

I also wrote on/graded on (our school made you submit a write-on even if you knew you graded on) at 1L school and let them know as soon as I made a transfer decision.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”