International Student-F1 Visa, Employment, Employment Visa, etc. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
MindyKale

New

International Student-F1 Visa, Employment, Employment Visa, etc.

Post by MindyKale » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi,

I've been trying to find information on this from people but so far I don't have anything conclusive or empirical.
I am an International student (international GPA) and would need a US Student visa to go to law school. Are there usually students who are in law school classes that are on visas?

As someone without a citizenship and would need sponsorship to be employed in the US, how do law firms or schools look upon this, would it be harder to find employment and what are some options other than BigLaw firms that might offer sponsorship?

I can only see the statistics in the 509s of universities about the number of "Non-Resident Alien" students but do any of you have any idea about how it is in the actual classes and how do international students typically fund their education?

Any information on this would be helpful.

Thank you.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: International Student-F1 Visa, Employment, Employment Visa, etc.

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:50 pm

Generally, it is harder for international students to get a legal job in the U.S. because you will need to enter the visa lottery.

The only jobs that are willing to sometimes support international students through the visa process are biglaw firms. That means if you don't get biglaw, you are heading back to your home country. Further, just because you get biglaw doesn't mean you will be successful in the lottery and might be send packing in a year anyway.

It is a real risk to get a U.S. jd and gamble on whether you will be able to stay.

Because you need biglaw, you need to go to a t13 school and do well. Any other option school wise is a bad option.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:37 am

If we are talking about the "legal route" to getting employment and sponsorship, you pretty much need to get a biglaw job after graduation. Given the current climate w/r/t to immigration policy and the job market, not even all biglaw wants to sponsor your H1B. There are so many eligible American grads who won't get kicked out in 1 year by the Administration.

In other words, you have to have (1) good grades from a (2) T14 school and be a (3) good interviewer. And also be lucky, because the financial crisis in the making will not work in your favor. Generally speaking, I would only pursue JD if I know I will be all of the above AND/OR I would be happy to return to my home country, where the JD from the US continues to hold some value. Otherwise, it's going to be a very risky decision for you.

If you are Canadian, you can disregard the above.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”