Does LSAC GPA include courses that weren't for credit? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Legally_blond

New

Does LSAC GPA include courses that weren't for credit?

Post by Legally_blond » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm currently an undergrad planning on attending law school and had a few questions about the way LSAC calculates GPA. Specifically I know that NP classes count as Fs, but if the class was for 0 credit hours would it not affect my GPA? Also would classes taken at a community college that had credit hours attached to them but didn't count for college credit be included? For example I took a 3 credit hour algebra class at a community college during high school just for scheduling reasons and got a C, but it was not considered a college class so my GPA for the CC was still a 0. Would this likely factor into my GPA as well? I currently have a 4.0 in college and don't want to mess it up too badly.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Does LSAC GPA include courses that weren't for credit?

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:42 pm

Yes I believe it will count

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Legally_blond wrote:I'm currently an undergrad planning on attending law school and had a few questions about the way LSAC calculates GPA. Specifically I know that NP classes count as Fs, but if the class was for 0 credit hours would it not affect my GPA? Also would classes taken at a community college that had credit hours attached to them but didn't count for college credit be included? For example I took a 3 credit hour algebra class at a community college during high school just for scheduling reasons and got a C, but it was not considered a college class so my GPA for the CC was still a 0. Would this likely factor into my GPA as well? I currently have a 4.0 in college and don't want to mess it up too badly.
It probably counts. This exact thing happened to me. College in High School stats. It was even taught by my high school teacher, which is even more ridiculous.

pale1619

New

Post by pale1619 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Legally_blond wrote:I'm currently an undergrad planning on attending law school and had a few questions about the way LSAC calculates GPA. Specifically I know that NP classes count as Fs, but if the class was for 0 credit hours would it not affect my GPA? Also would classes taken at a community college that had credit hours attached to them but didn't count for college credit be included? For example I took a 3 credit hour algebra class at a community college during high school just for scheduling reasons and got a C, but it was not considered a college class so my GPA for the CC was still a 0. Would this likely factor into my GPA as well? I currently have a 4.0 in college and don't want to mess it up too badly.
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I got into my UG school as part of a compact with local school districts (keep a certain GPA in highschool = automatic acceptance to the UG school). As part of that program, kids who got into my UG through that compact were registered to take a CR/NCR course for one hour a week our first semester to acclimate us to the school and keep tabs on how the program was working out for everyone. Thing is, while it was a CR/NCR course, there were no credits attached to it. A NCR wouldn't affect your GPA and the class wasn't substantive at all (they weren't teaching us anything). Predictably, at least half of the class (myself included) ended up cutting class and got NCRs. On my transcript it's reflected as NCR, but alongside that it notes something along the lines of "units attempted: 0; units earned: 0", because it wasn't for credit. Not sure how the LSAC will treat this, because even if they count it as an "F", it would mean that I earned just as many credits as I would if I had gotten credit. I'm submitting my transcripts in the next couple days, so I'll keep you posted on how it plays out when my GPA gets posted

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”