Paid employment during law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
DTrainz

New

Paid employment during law school?

Post by DTrainz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:32 pm

If a law student wants to work part-time during the school year or over the summer for a government agency or a nonprofit, should they assume it will be unpaid?

If so, do law schools provide a subsidy to students doing unpaid work? How common is this? What is the average amount?

If a law student wants to get paid for their work while doing a legal-related job, must they work in the private sector?

stativus

New

Re: Paid employment during law school?

Post by stativus » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:09 pm

I think research assistants to professors get paid? other than that I haven't heard of paid public sector part-time jobs

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Government agencies and non-profits almost certainly will not pay you. If you want to get paid, work for a private law firm (not all of them pay - those that don't are probably violating labor law)

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:12 am

DTrainz wrote:If a law student wants to work part-time during the school year or over the summer for a government agency or a nonprofit, should they assume it will be unpaid?

If so, do law schools provide a subsidy to students doing unpaid work? How common is this? What is the average amount?
In general, I don't think law schools will pay students for doing unpaid, academic-year government/nonprofit work. However, it may be possible to receive academic credit for the work.

Itwasascam

New

Post by Itwasascam » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Some schools do give students stipends for public service work

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”