Canceling vs. Lower Score Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LSATWiz.com

Silver

Canceling vs. Lower Score

Post by LSATWiz.com » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:15 am

Situation:

Hi, a girl I tutored was scoring in the 170s on her practice tests, but ran into an issue where her watch stopped working, causing her to only get 21 out of 25 questions in LR 1. This subsequently caused her to misread a rule (or she may have misread a rule on her own) causing her to only get to the acceptability question in the last game.

Overall, we're looking at 9 questions she was forced to guess on, meaning she got approximately 2 of those questions right and 7 wrong. Because the last questions tend to be the most difficult, there's an argument to be made that those questions are less valuable to begin with as the chance of getting them right dips from about 95-99% to about 70-75%.

She felt good about the rest of the test.

Question:

Should she cancel the score or just retake?

Random Caveat: Prior to working with me, she did testmasters, which didn't work for her and scored in the high 150s-low 160s. Odds are she's looking at an improvement. The question is by how many points.

Keb218

New

Re: Canceling vs. Lower Score

Post by Keb218 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:14 pm

UBETutoring wrote:Situation:

Hi, a girl I tutored was scoring in the 170s on her practice tests, but ran into an issue where her watch stopped working, causing her to only get 21 out of 25 questions in LR 1. This subsequently caused her to misread a rule (or she may have misread a rule on her own) causing her to only get to the acceptability question in the last game.

Overall, we're looking at 9 questions she was forced to guess on, meaning she got approximately 2 of those questions right and 7 wrong. Because the last questions tend to be the most difficult, there's an argument to be made that those questions are less valuable to begin with as the chance of getting them right dips from about 95-99% to about 70-75%.

She felt good about the rest of the test.

Question:

Should she cancel the score or just retake?

Random Caveat: Prior to working with me, she did testmasters, which didn't work for her and scored in the high 150s-low 160s. Odds are she's looking at an improvement. The question is by how many points.

Kind of a stupid question. If she has time to take it again in June or August, and she feels she can do better...okay cancel? She shouldn't be so reliant on a watch anyway. Sounds like an excuse.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:36 pm

I never see the point in canceling unless something catastrophic happened like messing up your bubbling on an entire section. You've already sat through the test. Schools only care about your highest score. Might as well see what you got.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Is it fair to say every school below HYSCCN doesn't care about retakes?

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:49 pm

UBETutoring wrote:Is it fair to say every school below HYSCCN doesn't care about retakes?
Yale is the only school that mightcare about retakes, and even with them there's some debate on whether or not they actually do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”