Take CFA during deferral period?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Amaze14

New

Take CFA during deferral period?

Postby Amaze14 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:07 pm

I have deferred law school and will be entering CCN in fall of 2019. Currently working as an analyst at an investment bank and feel as if I am really just killing time until I enter law school. Would there be any benefit in me prepping for the CFA? I am fairly confident I’d be able to pass level 1, and would then prep hard to take L2 next June. I am interested primarily in BigLaw litigation post-law school so I am not sure how much of a benefit passing the first two levels would give me.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Take CFA during deferral period?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:08 pm

Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation means little in the world of law, but is a significant achievement in the IB/finance world of business. If you have the time & energy, then it might be wise to take the exams in order to take advantage of your current knowledge & to have a fallback plan if you dislike law school.

With respect to any benefit of passing Level 1 & Level 2 of the 3 part CFA designation, you will get little to no benefit in the practice of biglaw litigation. Also, if you don't have the required 4 years of relevant work experience, pursuit of the CFA while employed as an attorney may be fruitless.

I don't know how much experience you have in the financial world, but I would take these exams only as a back-up plan if law school doesn't work out.

Return to “Law School FAQ?