Withdrawal Timelines Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
rachelac

Bronze

Withdrawal Timelines

Post by rachelac » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:42 am

When should I start withdrawing from schools? I haven't made a decision yet (waiting on a decision, financial aid at two schools, and ASW) but I HAVE narrowed it to 6 out of the 11 I applied to, all of which have already offered me a seat and a few of which have offered me financial aid. Should I start withdrawing now so they can redistribute my financial aid? I can't think of a reason not to but I haven't seen much about it so I'm wondering if that's rude or something I guess.

gotmilk332

New

Re: Withdrawal Timelines

Post by gotmilk332 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 am

rachelac wrote:When should I start withdrawing from schools? I haven't made a decision yet (waiting on a decision, financial aid at two schools, and ASW) but I HAVE narrowed it to 6 out of the 11 I applied to, all of which have already offered me a seat and a few of which have offered me financial aid. Should I start withdrawing now so they can redistribute my financial aid? I can't think of a reason not to but I haven't seen much about it so I'm wondering if that's rude or something I guess.
Also curious!

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Same.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:02 pm

I started withdrawing already, but it was a school I knew I wouldn't go to anymore. There are a few more I'm considering withdrawing from, but I think their aid offers could be useful, so I'm holding on for a bit. But any school you know you won't go to whose aid offer won't be valuable in negotiations is one I think I would drop pretty soon.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:40 pm

principalagent wrote:I started withdrawing already, but it was a school I knew I wouldn't go to anymore. There are a few more I'm considering withdrawing from, but I think their aid offers could be useful, so I'm holding on for a bit. But any school you know you won't go to whose aid offer won't be valuable in negotiations is one I think I would drop pretty soon.
I think that's a good approach. If there is nothing the school could offer you that would sway you to attend, and their scholarship package can't be of any more use negotiating with a school you'd rather attend, withdraw.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm pretty sure Minnesota refuses to review my application because they just want me to withdraw. I refuse. Battle to the death.

Seriously though, the above advice all sounds sensible. I think what eludes me is the bit about 'if the aid offer won't be valuable in negotiations'. So I have aid from GW and recognize it's not going to get me anywhere with Chicago or NYU, but once we get into T13-15 territory, I'm fuzzy on things. Do offers have to be from schools within 1-2 places of each other to be useful in negotiations?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:09 pm

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:I'm pretty sure Minnesota refuses to review my application because they just want me to withdraw. I refuse. Battle to the death.

Seriously though, the above advice all sounds sensible. I think what eludes me is the bit about 'if the aid offer won't be valuable in negotiations'. So I have aid from GW and recognize it's not going to get me anywhere with Chicago or NYU, but once we get into T13-15 territory, I'm fuzzy on things. Do offers have to be from schools within 1-2 places of each other to be useful in negotiations?
Does GW have a history of offering stipends? If not, I think your UVA and UM offers are likely to be far more useful, with maybe only GULC really caring about it. You've got great scholarships at higher ranked schools, and a Chicago acceptance. That's the heavy ordinance in your negotiation arsenal.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks for the advice, friends! I went ahead and withdrew from Texas yesterday - hopefully my $$ goes to someone who wants it sooner rather than later :)

trynamakeitin

New

Post by trynamakeitin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:14 pm

wmbuff wrote:
principalagent wrote:I started withdrawing already, but it was a school I knew I wouldn't go to anymore. There are a few more I'm considering withdrawing from, but I think their aid offers could be useful, so I'm holding on for a bit. But any school you know you won't go to whose aid offer won't be valuable in negotiations is one I think I would drop pretty soon.
I think that's a good approach. If there is nothing the school could offer you that would sway you to attend, and their scholarship package can't be of any more use negotiating with a school you'd rather attend, withdraw.
Can you not use a scholarship letter for negotiation if you've already withdrawn? Maybe this is a silly question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:19 pm

trynamakeitin wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
Can you not use a scholarship letter for negotiation if you've already withdrawn? Maybe this is a silly question.
How much leverage do you think you get by showing someone an offer that you can't accept? My understanding is that this all works by implying you really like School X, but not enough to override the smart financial decision of attending School Y, and if they would just remove that rational barrier to your attendance, they'd be your natural preference.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:24 pm

wmbuff wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:I'm pretty sure Minnesota refuses to review my application because they just want me to withdraw. I refuse. Battle to the death.

Does GW have a history of offering stipends? If not, I think your UVA and UM offers are likely to be far more useful, with maybe only GULC really caring about it. You've got great scholarships at higher ranked schools, and a Chicago acceptance. That's the heavy ordinance in your negotiation arsenal.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I get that the GW one is pretty useless (sigh sorry GW). I meant more like...total hypothetical, if you got a full ride at, say, Duke, would that be of any use in negotiating with Penn? Or is that too low. Or to remove from hypothetical, would Chicago or NYU care about a Dillard?

wmbuff

Bronze

Removed post...

Post by wmbuff » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:00 pm

Removed post...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”