Is it worth continuing? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ssdtanay

New

Is it worth continuing?

Post by ssdtanay » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:11 pm

I went to a 4th tier law school. I applied late last year and only had an option between UDC, Thurgood Marshall & Thomas Coolney. I came to UDC. Here, after first semeter, I have received 3 Fs, 2 B+ and 1B. My GPA is low but they are giving me a chance to "startover" through their program. Is it worth it? I feel like I don't have what it takes to even survive in a tier 4 school, should I go on with the other ones? Are there any option to start over in a different school without transferring (something like scrap off this entire semester because I was going through problems at home?)

Thanks

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Is it worth continuing?

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Law is something that just isn't in your cards. You tried, but time to cut your losses before spending more money.

kyle1978

New

Post by kyle1978 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:14 pm

ssdtanay wrote:I went to a 4th tier law school. I applied late last year and only had an option between UDC, Thurgood Marshall & Thomas Coolney. I came to UDC. Here, after first semeter, I have received 3 Fs, 2 B+ and 1B. My GPA is low but they are giving me a chance to "startover" through their program. Is it worth it? I feel like I don't have what it takes to even survive in a tier 4 school, should I go on with the other ones? Are there any option to start over in a different school without transferring (something like scrap off this entire semester because I was going through problems at home?)

Thanks
Drop out. That school is trying to get more money out of you by "allowing" you to start over. I would cut your losses.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Normally wouldn't advise someone to drop out but they're just exploiting you at this point. Drop out.

This isn't a ding on you, just advice to prevent you from digging yourself deeper into a bad situation. If there were external factors that prevented you from achieving better grades, that's worth discussing, but it's not worth you continuing at UDC. You're better off reevaluating your options once you're out of there.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

make tls great again

New

Post by make tls great again » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 pm

generally not

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawShopeful

New

Post by LawShopeful » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:33 pm

ssdtanay wrote:I went to a 4th tier law school. I applied late last year and only had an option between UDC, Thurgood Marshall & Thomas Coolney. I came to UDC. Here, after first semeter, I have received 3 Fs, 2 B+ and 1B. My GPA is low but they are giving me a chance to "startover" through their program. Is it worth it? I feel like I don't have what it takes to even survive in a tier 4 school, should I go on with the other ones? Are there any option to start over in a different school without transferring (something like scrap off this entire semester because I was going through problems at home?)

Thanks
I'm really sorry to hear this. Other than your problems at home do you think there was something you just weren't getting as far as the content or managing the work load?

I cant give much advice since I don't start until Fall 2018 but I don't think it's possible to start over and if you were to transfer schools they'd likely want an addendum. I'm not sure law schools are even allowed to just scrap all your grades off your transcript and just start you fresh.

ssdtanay

New

Post by ssdtanay » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks for your advice. I've made a few big mistakes in my life, including the fact that I denied a position as a community liaison in my local council member's office. Should've gone on with that after getting a BA in political science and English. At this point, any suggestion as to what steps I can take? I've been applying in various fields in the public and private sector (and have heard back from private). Any suggestion on how to receive some good news from the public sector?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:33 pm

ssdtanay wrote:Thanks for your advice. I've made a few big mistakes in my life, including the fact that I denied a position as a community liaison in my local council member's office. Should've gone on with that after getting a BA in political science and English. At this point, any suggestion as to what steps I can take? I've been applying in various fields in the public and private sector (and have heard back from private). Any suggestion on how to receive some good news from the public sector?
If you’re interested in politics, now is a good time to get involved. Many primary campaigns are starting to pick up and there will be decent turnover on the Hill as people move out to work on campaigns.

I agree with everyone else that you should cut your losses and move on from law school.

ssdtanay

New

Post by ssdtanay » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Okay, so this is a suggestion that one of my friend gave me. I don't believe this is possible but I just want to run it through everyone. (He's in Brooklyn Law and in the same boat as I am).

Can we reapply through LSAC as a new student. So, this is what we did. Right after we graduated from undergrad in 2016 Dec, graduating a semester early, we studied for 6 months and waited for our grades. We got our grades and the end of July and applied right away. But there were only a few schools that were left open, so we had no choice but to go to schools that were open. Can we claim that as a reason in the addendum to reapply as a new student?

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 pm

ssdtanay wrote:Okay, so this is a suggestion that one of my friend gave me. I don't believe this is possible but I just want to run it through everyone. (He's in Brooklyn Law and in the same boat as I am).

Can we reapply through LSAC as a new student. So, this is what we did. Right after we graduated from undergrad in 2016 Dec, graduating a semester early, we studied for 6 months and waited for our grades. We got our grades and the end of July and applied right away. But there were only a few schools that were left open, so we had no choice but to go to schools that were open. Can we claim that as a reason in the addendum to reapply as a new student?

Thanks
Or you had the choice to not attend. Regardless, your performance in law school at one of the worst schools in the country means you aren't cut out for this kind of thing. There is nothing wrong with that. Go get involved in politics or community outreach. It sounds more up your alley anyway.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 pm

ssdtanay wrote:Okay, so this is a suggestion that one of my friend gave me. I don't believe this is possible but I just want to run it through everyone. (He's in Brooklyn Law and in the same boat as I am).

Thanks
But there was nothing stopping you from applying before you'd graduated; you don't have to have your degree awarded/all your grades in to apply to law school (just to attend). So writing something like this would absolutely not help you convince adcomms to admit you.

If you dropped out now you could probably reapply in future, but I would take a few years to create some distance between this semester and trying again.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm

You can apply to law school again if you drop out. The question is not whether you can do that, but whether another law school would take you, or whether you should. That's a black mark on your record as to whether you can succeed in law school and will turn off law schools that you apply to, other than those who will happily take your money despite any concerns over your ability to succeed.

If you really want to make a go of this again (which I am not encouraging), you should drop out, and study for the LSAT again to raise your score and get into better schools. Going to UDC or the others you mentioned are not worth your money. No, you won't be able to purge your previous attempt at law school or not disclose it. You'll have to disclose it to any place you apply.

This is all assuming that your life will not have the same personal problems that inhibited your performance last semester and that you will be capable of doing well in law school even without those pressures. Those are all really big question marks based on what you've told us.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssdtanay

New

Post by ssdtanay » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 am

The thing is I am trying to get a job after Bachelors. With a bachelors in pol sci and English, the perspectives weren't too great. I didn't have any advisor suggest me otherwise other than going to law school. If I had known, I would've pursued a career in something different, maybe through an internship in a government office or something. There doesn't seem to be many paths open for me at this stage.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 am

ssdtanay wrote:The thing is I am trying to get a job after Bachelors. With a bachelors in pol sci and English, the perspectives weren't too great. I didn't have any advisor suggest me otherwise other than going to law school. If I had known, I would've pursued a career in something different, maybe through an internship in a government office or something. There doesn't seem to be many paths open for me at this stage.
Do you think that all poli sci and english majors go to law school? They don't. You have plenty of options.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oneanddone?

New

Post by Oneanddone? » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 am

ssdtanay wrote:The thing is I am trying to get a job after Bachelors. With a bachelors in pol sci and English, the perspectives weren't too great. I didn't have any advisor suggest me otherwise other than going to law school. If I had known, I would've pursued a career in something different, maybe through an internship in a government office or something. There doesn't seem to be many paths open for me at this stage.
You have to keep an open mind, take work where you can find it, and work very very hard. It will pay off to take a low-level job very seriously for a few years. See if you can find a position similar to the one you turned down. Starting out in a low level position on the hill or through a campaign (as one poster suggested) is a good way to begin. Social service nonprofits (food, shelter, etc) may also be interested in hiring you in the area. Good luck!!

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:47 pm

English major here who got a job right out of college and has consistently employed for 6 years. There are plenty of options, you just have to hustle. Don't be intimidated by job postings that say they want someone with three years experience. Hit the ground running, go to networking events, talk to people who might be able to set things up for you or point you in the right direction, and get your resume out to as many people as possible. You never know who might need someone to fill an opening. Hell, I networked my way into being offered an IB job having no formal training in finance (didn't take it, given that I probably would have been terrible at it haha). The point is that if you put the time in, you definitely will land somewhere, and if you do research, you'll end up somewhere you enjoy.

FWIW I've also done a lot of work with local/state government, and networking there is even more crucial. It's easy to start. Just cold email someone in an office you'd like to work in and see if they'd be willing to grab coffee for an informal meeting, saying that you'd like to break into X kind of work and are looking for advice. People LOVE helping out other people, especially in government, and they'll often tick off a whole bunch of people you should reach out to.

You can definitely crush this! You just gotta take that first step!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”