Becoming a JAG Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Versailles1919

New

Becoming a JAG

Post by Versailles1919 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi all!

I've recently become interested in the JAG Corps and I wanted to know some more information on it. I read that it's pretty competitive, but it also depends upon the branch (Army v. Navy v. Marines for example). I wanted to know when you have to decide that would want to become a JAG. Before Law School or during it? And what maximizes your chances of getting into it straight out of your 3L year? Also, does JAG fall under public service for the LRAP loan forgiveness program? Current or former JAG Corps officers appreciated or anyone interested/with extensive knowledge on the subject. Thanks!

LSlyfe

Bronze

Re: Becoming a JAG

Post by LSlyfe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Versailles1919 wrote:Hi all!

I've recently become interested in the JAG Corps and I wanted to know some more information on it. I read that it's pretty competitive, but it also depends upon the branch (Army v. Navy v. Marines for example). I wanted to know when you have to decide that would want to become a JAG. Before Law School or during it? And what maximizes your chances of getting into it straight out of your 3L year? Also, does JAG fall under public service for the LRAP loan forgiveness program? Current or former JAG Corps officers appreciated or anyone interested/with extensive knowledge on the subject. Thanks!
In terms of the timeline for deciding that various depending on what branch you choose. Each has different timelines for applications and some branches have different options for entry programs with their own set of pros and cons so you may want to narrow down there first. JAG does fall under loan forgiveness programs and certain branches also offer their own set loan forgiveness incentives as well.

Not a current JAG, but enlisted reservist, so I can't answer the rest of your questions but that's my post-law school plan too and would love to see what any currently serving JAGs have to say, particularly AF as that's my branch of choice.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Have you checked/asked in the Military Law thread?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 23&t=31543

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:43 pm

mjb447 wrote:Have you checked/asked in the Military Law thread?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 23&t=31543
Yes, OP, I think you'll find that this thread contains all the info you'll need, and lots of resourceful posters who can answer questions.

Edit: though if you're an 0L you can't actually ask questions in that forum, so head to the Ask a Law Student/Grad if you have questions that can't wait until you matriculate law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”