GRE Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

GRE

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:19 pm

All,

I’m just curious as to whether or not any of the toplawschool lurkers have been accepted to law school using only a GRE score (No LSAT).. If so, to where and what was your score? Also, if you have any input regarding GRE scores and law school, feel free! Thanks!

cyj43

New

Re: GRE

Post by cyj43 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Quant : 166
Verbal : 164
Writing: 5.5

LSAT : 167

Applied with GRE and attending t14 (not harvard).

ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 pm

Awesome! If you don’t mind, what was your uGPA?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:26 pm

cyj43 wrote:Quant : 166

If you're already in law school (and have an LSAT score), it's not terribly relevant to the OP, because the GRE wasn't even considered when you applied.

cyj43

New

Post by cyj43 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:25 pm

UGpa was 3.9

Cavalier didn’t read carefully so ignore his post OP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:45 am

cyj43 wrote:UGpa was 3.9

The OP asked for people with only a GRE (no LSAT). So just some excellent careful reading going on here.

And based on your post history, you were an applicant back in 2016 (without any subsequent posts indicating that you did not attend). It was pretty reasonable to assume that you were already in school. You also did not clarify whether you were admitted to a T13 school that stated they would be accepting the GRE this cycle. Regardless, the OP is trying to get a sense of how the GRE will be viewed by admissions, and it's been pretty clear that GRE scores won't be considered at all if you have a reportable LSAT. So again, your results aren't very relevant to the OP, who is interested in results for applicants who only applied with a GRE score.

ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:39 am

So if you take both, you have a choice in which score to send in with your application?

ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:41 am

cavalier1138 wrote:

The OP asked for people with only a GRE (no LSAT). So just some excellent careful reading going on here.

And based on your post history, you were an applicant back in 2016 (without any subsequent posts indicating that you did not attend). It was pretty reasonable to assume that you were already in school. You also did not clarify whether you were admitted to a T13 school that stated they would be accepting the GRE this cycle. Regardless, the OP is trying to get a sense of how the GRE will be viewed by admissions, and it's been pretty clear that GRE scores won't be considered at all if you have a reportable LSAT. So again, your results aren't very relevant to the OP, who is interested in results for applicants who only applied with a GRE score.
Do you have any knowledge of GRE score-only applicants? I’m just curious because it’s sort-of new and hard to find the data on this.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:57 am

ToLawSchoolOrNot wrote:Do you have any knowledge of GRE score-only applicants? I’m just curious because it’s sort-of new and hard to find the data on this.
Unfortunately, no. Everyone's in the same boat this cycle (as in, no one knows a thing), but I'd wager that GRE-only applicants are not being admitted during the first waves for any top schools. You'll probably have to wait to get any data points.

ETA: And to answer your other question, no. Schools do not give people the option of which score(s) to send in. If you have a reportable LSAT, every school gets it and is required to report it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brownam6

New

Post by brownam6 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:02 am

I’m GRE only this cycle and was admitted to Georgetown. GRE was 155 V (69th %), 154 Q (55%), 6.0 AW (99%). Undergrad GPA was 3.9

ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 am

brownam6 wrote:I’m GRE only this cycle and was admitted to Georgetown. GRE was 155 V (69th %), 154 Q (55%), 6.0 AW (99%). Undergrad GPA was 3.9
Thank you! Did you apply anywhere else?

brownam6

New

Post by brownam6 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:53 am

ToLawSchoolOrNot wrote:
brownam6 wrote:I’m GRE only this cycle and was admitted to Georgetown. GRE was 155 V (69th %), 154 Q (55%), 6.0 AW (99%). Undergrad GPA was 3.9
Thank you! Did you apply anywhere else?
I applied to WUSTL, Harvard, GW, and Northwestern dual JD/PhD in Sociology. Withdrew everything except dual degree at Northwestern app

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:58 am

Are you a URM (or anything else that would make your app stick out)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:00 pm

Congrats

What lsat do you think would be equivalent to your gre score? Does q matter or only v?

It seems that even top schools havent fully caught on the fact that Gre is a much easier test than lsat. It took me years to get a ok lsat score but took gre cold and did ok as well. The issue tho is that gre does a far far worse distinction among test takers at the very top of the score band, the very band that top schools used to distinguish among applicants using lsat.

ThaBlackLord

New

Post by ThaBlackLord » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:51 pm

appind wrote:

Congrats

What lsat do you think would be equivalent to your gre score? Does q matter or only v?

It seems that even top schools havent fully caught on the fact that Gre is a much easier test than lsat. It took me years to get a ok lsat score but took gre cold and did ok as well. The issue tho is that gre does a far far worse distinction among test takers at the very top of the score band, the very band that top schools used to distinguish among applicants using lsat.
So you'd say that the GRE is much easier than the LSAT?
I feel like folks who are trying to go to law school will always pick the LSAT over the GRE as they are fearing the math section

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:56 pm

this seems to be just the applicant that accepting GREs hope to target. GULC gets to now count a 3.9 as part of their admission stats without the fuss of having lower test scores fuss with their rankings.

everyone with a 3.9 should be taking the GRE with reckless abandon before USNWR updates the algorithm.

lobsicle

New

Post by lobsicle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:58 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
this seems to be just the applicant that accepting GREs hope to target. GULC gets to now count a 3.9 as part of their admission stats without the fuss of having lower test scores fuss with their rankings.

everyone with a 3.9 should be taking the GRE with reckless abandon before USNWR updates the algorithm.
USNWR factors GREs into rankings for GRE-only applicants. So I'm actually quite surprised this poster was admitted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:26 pm

lobsicle wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:

USNWR factors GREs into rankings for GRE-only applicants. So I'm actually quite surprised this poster was admitted.
Yes, usnwr has like 10% weight for gre, similar to lsat.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:27 pm

ThaBlackLord wrote:
appind wrote:

Congrats

So you'd say that the GRE is much easier than the LSAT?
I feel like folks who are trying to go to law school will always pick the LSAT over the GRE as they are fearing the math section
I'm not even sure if LS admissions would look at q score of gre and may focus only on the verbal score.

cyj43

New

Post by cyj43 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:11 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

I applied with my GRE. Not my Lsat. I am not attending law school because i work now as a graduate test instructor. Makes sense? Or do you need me to explain more.

There are a handful of T-14 schools that take the GRE. If not Harvard, then it’s chicago, columbia, northwestern, or georgetown i believe. My response indicates a non-Harvard T-14 so one of the above.
Last edited by cyj43 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lobsicle

New

Post by lobsicle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:17 pm

cyj43 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I applied with my GRE. Not my Lsat. I am not attending law school because i work now as a graduate test instructor. Makes sense? Or do you need me to explain more.

OP asked specifically T-14. There are a handful of T-14 schools that take the GRE. If not Harvard, then it’s chicago, columbia, northwestern, or georgetown i believe. My response indicates a non-Harvard T-14

Read carefully.
You said:

Anyone who reads carefully is going to assume you applied with both a GRE and an LSAT. OP was looking for someone who applied with only a GRE.

I'm not really sure what your situation actually is because your writing is confusing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cyj43

New

Post by cyj43 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:20 pm

lobsicle wrote:
cyj43 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

OP asked specifically T-14. There are a handful of T-14 schools that take the GRE. If not Harvard, then it’s chicago, columbia, northwestern, or georgetown i believe. My response indicates a non-Harvard T-14

Read carefully.
You said:

Anyone who reads carefully is going to assume you applied with both a GRE and an LSAT. OP was looking for someone who applied with only a GRE.

I'm not really sure what your situation actually is because your writing is confusing.
The OP wants to know what GRE scores got me into which schools. I applied with my GRE (not my LSAT) and got into T-14’s. Makes sense?

Let me edit and write in DETAIL.

I have an LSAT score that expireed. It is 167. Recently took the GRE w. the above indicated score. I applied with my GRE (LSAT was not considered in the app).
Last edited by cyj43 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lobsicle

New

Post by lobsicle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:25 pm

cyj43 wrote:The OP wants to know what GRE scores got me into which schools. I applied with my GRE (not my LSAT) and got into T-14’s. Makes sense?
Sure, it does now. The point is when you include your LSAT information when nobody asked for it people are going to assume you submitted both LSAT and GRE. This is especially true considering the policy of most schools is that you have to submit both if you have both.

I'm curious, which T14 accepted the GRE in previous cycles? Or did you apply this cycle?

cyj43

New

Post by cyj43 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:28 pm

lobsicle wrote:
cyj43 wrote:The OP wants to know what GRE scores got me into which schools. I applied with my GRE (not my LSAT) and got into T-14’s. Makes sense?
Sure, it does now. The point is when you include your LSAT information when nobody asked for it people are going to assume you submitted both LSAT and GRE. This is especially true considering the policy of most schools is that you have to submit both if you have both.

I'm curious, which T14 accepted the GRE in previous cycles? Or did you apply this cycle?
I specifically stated that I applied with my GRE. i can see why some would think i also applied with my LSAT. But based on OP’s post, my answer was simply answering a GRE applicant question.

This cycle. Doing this on my phone so, excuse the many edits.

lobsicle

New

Post by lobsicle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 pm

cyj43 wrote:
lobsicle wrote:

I specifically stated that I applied with my GRE. i can see why some would think i also applied with my LSAT. But based on OP’s post, my answer was simply answering a GRE applicant question.
Right, you were just missing the word "only", and most people are going to assume you listed your LSAT for a reason. There's a reason applicants don't list their SAT scores when they ask where they'll get in or explain where they got in. But we're on the same page, got it.

Which T14 did you apply to? I'm pretty sure none of them accepted it last cycle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”