When to move to the law schools' city? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
RedBadger2112

New

When to move to the law schools' city?

Post by RedBadger2112 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:24 pm

When should I move to the city that the school is in? Currently in Wisconsin moving to either Boston, NYC, Chicago, or Seattle. I'm just wondering if it would be better to get used to the city over the summer or just move right before classes start up.

cannonballer

Bronze

Re: When to move to the law schools' city?

Post by cannonballer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:33 pm

I moved in mid-July because my husband had a program that started August 1st. Personally, I loved having time to get settled in and relax in my new city for awhile before starting school in late August. I know someone else, though, who moved in a August 1st and was miserable because she didn’t know anyone in the city and felt very isolated. I got the impression that lost people moved right before school started - that’s when the dorms opened, and many people got Sept. 1st leases and did AirBnB until their places opened up. Really I think it’s a personal preference and depends on when makes sense for you logistically and financially.

TrustMeImALawStudent

New

Post by TrustMeImALawStudent » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Move as soon as you can (as long as you don't have any other obligations). I did a big multi-state, large moving truck move to attend law school and I had two months before classes started to get my new apartment set up, found a doctor and dentist office, got all my bills settled, connected with local folks, etc. and then was left with a month to explore town. It was so much better than rushing the week before classes started to get settled in.

agnes_bean

New

Post by agnes_bean » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

I definitely think at least a few weeks early is preferable if you can. Gives you time to settle in, fully unpack, and get used to the city. I know people who moved the day before orientation started, and they were just so stressed about it. I'm not sure if more than a few weeks is super necessary (I traveled over the summer instead, which was great), but that depends on you -- whether you know other people in the area, and, if not, how you feel about being somewhere where you don't know people for several months.

the lsat failure

New

Post by the lsat failure » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 am

Wanted to ask a related question - if someone plans to move to their law school's city earlier than usual to settle in (1 month +), how does one usually pay rent and what not for that lull period? Savings? Personal money? Because to my understanding the school's grants/scholarships and any loans taken out as part of COA will be disbursed after school begins.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:01 am

the lsat failure wrote:Wanted to ask a related question - if someone plans to move to their law school's city earlier than usual to settle in (1 month +), how does one usually pay rent and what not for that lull period? Savings? Personal money? Because to my understanding the school's grants/scholarships and any loans taken out as part of COA will be disbursed after school begins.
Yes, you'll need to have some sort of savings for that, because loans generally aren't distributed until a week or two before classes begin.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm moving to my new city in June (also from Wisconsin, go pack go). Should give me plenty of time to plant roots I think.

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:09 pm

I think I'll have about 2-3 days in my new city (Austin or Charlottesville probably) before starting law school:p Gotta finish those generals! (I'm taking the spring/summer right before law school to finish everything up)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”