Scholarship Question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
YellowWolf

New

Scholarship Question

Post by YellowWolf » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:25 pm

I am an international applicant to US institutions. I am wondering if entrance scholarships are awarded from Columbia, Chicago, and NYU? I have heard HSY provides no assistance. I have been reading a lot and it looks like lots of applicants who are accepted into HSY pass up on their offer and receive generous funding from rank 4,5,6 schools. Does this apply to international students as well or are these types of scholarships only for US citizens?

Also, am I right in saying that attending either Columbia, Chicago, NYU will place you in the same BigLaw firms as HSY?

Thanks in advance.

cavalier1138

Re: Scholarship Question

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Merit scholarships are available to everyone. HYS do scholarships entirely based on need, and I'm not sure what effect citizenship has on that (since a large part of need is calculated through tax returns).

Yes, your biglaw opportunities are practically identical across most of the T13, and especially across HYSCCN.

Samarcan

New

Post by Samarcan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Yes, your biglaw opportunities are practically identical across most of the T13, and especially across HYSCCN.
This is actually kind of misleading. The further up the ladder you go within the T13, the easier it is for NY biglaw. It's not "practically identical" -- it will be much easier to do just "ok" at HYS and get an offer at a top NY corp firm (exception: WLRK) than the same relative performance at the rest of the T13.

I've had firsthand experience with this at both a lower T13 and at HYS, and was actually kind of surprised how much grades did not matter as much at the latter when it comes to many NY firms -- its especially true bc HYS don't use the typical A-F grading scale.

Definitely try your luck with the HYS bunch, it can pay off in a lot of ways! (And the need based aid can also be pretty generous!)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:15 am

Samarcan wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
This is actually kind of misleading. The further up the ladder you go within the T13, the easier it is for NY biglaw. It's not "practically identical" -- it will be much easier to do just "ok" at HYS and get an offer at a top NY corp firm (exception: WLRK) than the same relative performance at the rest of the T13.

I've had firsthand experience with this at both a lower T13 and at HYS, and was actually kind of surprised how much grades did not matter as much at the latter when it comes to many NY firms -- its especially true bc HYS don't use the typical A-F grading scale.

Definitely try your luck with the HYS bunch, it can pay off in a lot of ways! (And the need based aid can also be pretty generous!)
I should have specified that your biglaw opportunities are practically identical, unless you place an inordinate amount of weight on getting to say that you work at a V5/V20/V93 firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”