To those that worked full time during undergrad, how did you handle / obtain LORs?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
tjf1

To those that worked full time during undergrad, how did you handle / obtain LORs?

Postby tjf1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:19 am

I guess the simple answer is "build relationships with professors", but when you are working full time, and aside from class participation (which I assume isn't enough to even build said relationship), how do you get the chance? Office hours are well over by the time I get out of work.

I know I am able to get employer recommendations, but I've read that usually only 1 is appropriate.

I'm looking for tips from people who worked full time during undergrad, and how they managed to get those LORs from professors, because I'm worrying that I won't be able to get any come the time.

thanks!

Rowinguy2009

Re: To those that worked full time during undergrad, how did you handle / obtain LORs?

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:04 pm

I definitely did not "gun" in undergrad - never went to office hours or anything like that. I wound up with three professor LORs (plus one from my work supervisor) that were very solid based solely on class participation.

The reason why I had a relationship with each of those professors was pretty random - one professor I had more than once for multiple upper level classes, one professor taught a class on the First Amendment where most of the students in the class were painfully quiet and even my modest level of participation made me seem like a super-gunner, the third was the professor for my capstone class, who I had to interact with far more than your average professor. I felt very confident that all three of them could/would write very strong letters, but I admittedly did not have a very strong list of options beyond those three.

I assume you are younger? Relationships like this will just kinda happen, especially in upper level classes that tend to be smaller and more discussion based.

Return to “Law School FAQ”