why choose corporate law? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
pros

New

why choose corporate law?

Post by pros » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:45 pm

hi folks,

I'm interested in law school, have interned in a court and read a fair amount here and on other sites about admissions and the legal profession. I'd really only be interested in litigation, but i don't really understand the draw to corporate law.

i understand the work needs to be done, but why wouldn't you just work in business or finance and actually be making the deals instead of writing/reviewing them? A friend of mine who graduated from a top b school said all the JD/mba student just go work in banking or pe, so why would someone not interested in litigating or some other aspect really unique to law go to law school?

cavalier1138

Re: why choose corporate law?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm just going to settle in for this one...

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Corporate law is more than just writing/reviewing deals. Especially if you're in-house. Not everyone wants to be out making deals. Or litigating. Thankfully.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:47 pm

This should be fun...

Edit: The answer to your actual question is probably a bit different for everyone. For me, it boils down to a couple things: (a) salaries are high up front, and the drop off in salary for corporate lawyers leaving big (or in my case, boutique) firms seems to be less than for litigators; (b) litigation and corporate are both adversarial, but in different ways - I find corporate to be more palatable; (c) it seems easier to move in-house, and, for someone in an EC/VC practice like myself, the incentive-based comp is extremely attractive; and (d) I really love working with technical founders and helping them translate their technically sound ideas into profitable businesses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”