Employment during law school

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Lawgiver1981

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Employment during law school

Postby Lawgiver1981 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 pm

Hi
For those already in law school, what do you do for money? Is everybody living on student loans or do you guys have paying jobs while you go to class?

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3407
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Employment during law school

Postby UVA2B » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 am

This question is overly broad. Most students use loans to cover cost of living and cost of tuition, fees, etc., but some can get by without it for multiple reasons (rich family, personal savings, full scholarship, etc.).

As for "paying jobs," 1Ls are limited to jobs of 20 hours/week max (and some schools restrict that number even further) by the ABA.

There isn't a single answer to "how do law students live financially?" What are your specific circumstances?

mcmand

Silver
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: Employment during law school

Postby mcmand » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:30 pm

UVA2B wrote:As for "paying jobs," 1Ls are limited to jobs of 20 hours/week max (and some schools restrict that number even further) by the ABA.


ABA no longer requires this in its accreditation standards: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/lega ... tions.html

"Standard 304(f), which restricted student employment to 20 hours per week, was eliminated in 2014. ABA-approved law schools may continue to retain a student employment rule even though it is no longer required by the Standards."


Still not able to figure out how any school actually enforces this and to what extent they do (and why they ever would). I had classmates who worked during 1L (and were full-time students) and definitely did more than 20 hours.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3407
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Employment during law school

Postby UVA2B » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 pm

mcmand wrote:
UVA2B wrote:As for "paying jobs," 1Ls are limited to jobs of 20 hours/week max (and some schools restrict that number even further) by the ABA.


ABA no longer requires this in its accreditation standards: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/lega ... tions.html

"Standard 304(f), which restricted student employment to 20 hours per week, was eliminated in 2014. ABA-approved law schools may continue to retain a student employment rule even though it is no longer required by the Standards."


Still not able to figure out how any school actually enforces this and to what extent they do (and why they ever would). I had classmates who worked during 1L (and were full-time students) and definitely did more than 20 hours.


I always forget they repealed that rule. Thanks for the backup.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Employment during law school

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 pm

i knew a couple people who bounced or bartended through law school but i wouldn't recommend it.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Employment during law school

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 pm

mcmand wrote:
UVA2B wrote:As for "paying jobs," 1Ls are limited to jobs of 20 hours/week max (and some schools restrict that number even further) by the ABA.


ABA no longer requires this in its accreditation standards: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/lega ... tions.html

"Standard 304(f), which restricted student employment to 20 hours per week, was eliminated in 2014. ABA-approved law schools may continue to retain a student employment rule even though it is no longer required by the Standards."


Still not able to figure out how any school actually enforces this and to what extent they do (and why they ever would). I had classmates who worked during 1L (and were full-time students) and definitely did more than 20 hours.

Eh, if you’re a full-time program I can see restricting the hours students work during 1L given the learning curve and importance of grades. I agree that in practice it’s almost impossible to enforce (except maybe for school-administered employment), but given how often people here advise others not to work during 1L, I don’t think the restriction is nonsensical.

Lawgiver1981

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Re: Employment during law school

Postby Lawgiver1981 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:42 am

Thank you for responding.

User avatar
RCSOB657

Gold
Posts: 3344
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Employment during law school

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:58 am

I bounced for a bit, But getting home at 3am on a school night sucked. For this year and last year I've been able to do seasonal tax work during the spring semester even with 17 hour semester schedules.

User avatar
RareExports

Silver
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: Employment during law school

Postby RareExports » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Many people tutor LSAT in law school.

Agent007

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Re: Employment during law school

Postby Agent007 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:08 pm

I did an evening law program while fully employed. I would not recommend it because a lot of my evening classmates didn't work, which put me at a disadvantage grade-wise.

Lawworld19

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Employment during law school

Postby Lawworld19 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:15 pm

I clerked for a judge for 2 years. Didn't make much. 575$ every 2 weeks.

User avatar
totesTheGoat

Moderator
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Employment during law school

Postby totesTheGoat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Agent007 wrote:I did an evening law program while fully employed. I would not recommend it because a lot of my evening classmates didn't work, which put me at a disadvantage grade-wise.


Cosigned. In retrospect, I'd have been better off working 25-30 hours/week and going to school full-time.



Return to “Law School FAQ?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests