Max time to complete a law degree from UMichigan ? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
analyst

New

Max time to complete a law degree from UMichigan ?

Post by analyst » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:55 am

Hi,
What is the maximum time to complete a law degree from university of Michigan ?

The usual time is 3 years but lets say you take a lesser course load, do you get 4 years ?

cavalier1138

Re: Max time to complete a law degree from UMichigan ?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:33 am

I doubt it. Most schools have a minimum per-semester credit load, and if you take more than 3 years, it has to be due to you taking time off school (usually for work on another degree), not just being a slacker. Why would you need more time?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:57 am

Why would you want to extend your time in law school? The majority of people will lock down employment after the first year (where the courses are set in stone because they're all basic doctrinal courses). Beyond that, the PI/Gov't people will be locking down employment later that will make grades during 2L and 3L more important, but even in those situations it would make zero sense to extend your education and pay more tuition for education and training that will have somewhat minimal effect on your actual practice of law.

Maybe there's a compelling reason for this that I'm not thinking of, but I seriously can't imagine what that would be.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:01 am

What you're looking for is a part-time program. Pretty sure Michigan doesn't have one. If you have some kind of emergency/crisis and have to take a semester or two off, most schools will work with you on whether you can finish. But you can't just take a lighter course load and take 4 years instead of 3 unless you are in a part-time program. (My school required students to take at least 15 credits a semester, for instance.)

analyst

New

Post by analyst » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:03 am

What if you have to take a semester or two off due to personal reasons ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:08 am

It depends on the reasons sometimes, but most schools (I would imagine Michigan would be pretty understanding) will work with you if you have something come up that requires taking time off. If you have a compelling reason to take time off, they'll work with you.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:15 am

analyst wrote:What if you have to take a semester or two off due to personal reasons ?
Can you maybe be a bit more specific? Most of the "personal reasons" people have for taking a semester/year off have to do with sudden, unexpected events. You seem to be planning for one.

lawlzzz

New

Post by lawlzzz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:03 pm

The maximum time to complete a law degree anywhere is 7 years. You can take a leave of absence if you have compelling reasons, but that will be up to the discretion of your school, and I imagine policies vary from school to school.

For example, at my school, if you take a leave of absence after your 1st or 2nd semester, they will hold your spot and you simply have to tell them when you are coming back. If you take a leave during your 2L or 3L year, then you have to apply for readmission by writing a letter to the Dean of Students.

There are also part-time programs that take 4 years, like someone else mentioned. Ideally, you just wanna be done in 3, though. Schools don't typically allow you to take a lesser workload in a full-time program. They might if there are extenuating circumstances. (I know a woman who took a leave for medical reasons, then for the semester she came back they gave her a part-time load. But I'd imagine this is rare.) If you anticipate needing a couple semesters off for personal reasons, maybe it's best just to wait to start law school until after that time.
Last edited by lawlzzz on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:06 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
analyst wrote:What if you have to take a semester or two off due to personal reasons ?
Can you maybe be a bit more specific? Most of the "personal reasons" people have for taking a semester/year off have to do with sudden, unexpected events. You seem to be planning for one.
The only planned reason I can imagine is trying to figure out when to give birth. Otherwise, OP this is a weird question

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Idk if anyone mentioned this yet, but if you receive a scholarship from Michigan, it's only for SIX semesters. So even if you could complete a degree in four years rather than three (which I don't think you can unless you're also pursuing a degree @ another grad school or something), you'd be paying sticker for the fourth year

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”