ITT: Get help making irresponsible financial decisions on planners and bags

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Watababe

Re: ITT: Get help making irresponsible financial decisions on planners and bags

Postby Watababe » Thu May 25, 2017 11:16 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Watababe wrote:Dagne Dover is doing their sale and have the 15 inch Legend totes for $130-$150 FYI

OOOOH.

I have already purchased my Bleecker Blush tote. Best $130 I've spent in recent history.

carasrook

Postby carasrook » Thu May 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Watababe wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Watababe wrote:Dagne Dover is doing their sale and have the 15 inch Legend totes for $130-$150 FYI

OOOOH.

I have already purchased my Bleecker Blush tote. Best $130 I've spent in recent history.

I wanted Bleecker Blush but was paranoid that the photo was pinker than I wanted the bag to be, even though images everywhere else showed more of a gray pink...

I went with the 15" onyx tote. Can't believe how cheap I got it!! I'm so excited - hope it was the right choice because it's nonrefundable

I really debated between 13" and 15", since i'm only 5'1" and big bags tend to make me look diminutive, but I figured bigger is better for law school books/extra pair of shoes/etc.

carasrook

Postby carasrook » Thu May 25, 2017 12:31 pm

have y'all bought suits yet? i work in a business casual atmosphere so i've never needed to have one.

any advice on where to buy affordable/stylish suits? preferably with a petite section?

Watababe

Postby Watababe » Thu May 25, 2017 12:46 pm

carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

OOOOH.

I wanted Bleecker Blush but was paranoid that the photo was pinker than I wanted the bag to be, even though images everywhere else showed more of a gray pink...

I went with the 15" onyx tote. Can't believe how cheap I got it!! I'm so excited - hope it was the right choice because it's nonrefundable

I really debated between 13" and 15", since i'm only 5'1" and big bags tend to make me look diminutive, but I figured bigger is better for law school books/extra pair of shoes/etc.

I literally can't get over the price. I was blatantly talking to my boss about it while buying it instead of working. I'm a little worried about the size cause I'm also short/bags make me look tiny but I want plenty of room.

NotAGolfer

Postby NotAGolfer » Thu May 25, 2017 2:36 pm

I was not planning on spending $130 today on a tote but I want it so bad :shock:

Watababe

Postby Watababe » Thu May 25, 2017 2:41 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:I was not planning on spending $130 today on a tote but I want it so bad :shock:

I just decided it was totally worth it since it'll probably last me through school and beyond and I'm not going to find it for a better deal than half off and free shipping and if I went with a cheaper tote I'd have to replace it probably each year and that would end up costing me just as much if not more

Also it has a cup holder. You can't beat that.

NotAGolfer

Postby NotAGolfer » Thu May 25, 2017 2:42 pm

carasrook wrote:have y'all bought suits yet? i work in a business casual atmosphere so i've never needed to have one.

any advice on where to buy affordable/stylish suits? preferably with a petite section?

I like my Banana Republic suits, especially since they are almost always running sales. Not petite though so I can't review their petite selection, although I do know they have a petite section

NotAGolfer

Postby NotAGolfer » Thu May 25, 2017 2:44 pm

Watababe wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:I was not planning on spending $130 today on a tote but I want it so bad :shock:

I just decided it was totally worth it since it'll probably last me through school and beyond and I'm not going to find it for a better deal than half off and free shipping and if I went with a cheaper tote I'd have to replace it probably each year and that would end up costing me just as much if not more

Also it has a cup holder. You can't beat that.

I know, as soon as I saw the cup holder I was hooked

NotAGolfer

Postby NotAGolfer » Thu May 25, 2017 3:44 pm

carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

OOOOH.

Just ordered the 15" in Onyx. Was super torn between that and the Bleecker Blush but it sold out while I was debating - I considered it a sign :D

I also have a backpack for when I'm really hauling a lot of stuff, but will probably use this the majority of the time.

waldorf

Postby waldorf » Thu May 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Just bought the Lo & Sons OMG in black with gold hardware and camel interior.

My bank account hurts, but I'm excited.

Stephylynette

Postby Stephylynette » Thu May 25, 2017 4:45 pm

bwaldorf wrote:Just bought the Lo & Sons OMG in black with gold hardware and camel interior.

My bank account hurts, but I'm excited.

Got the same exact color combo! Bag twinsies :D

NotAGolfer

Postby NotAGolfer » Thu May 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Since there was so much planner talk ITT...can the planner enthusiasts sell me on a paper planner (vs. digital)? I've been 100% Google calendar for awhile now (I've been out of undergrad for 5 years) and was planning on continuing that in law school until I saw all this planner talk. Why did you all decide to go paper? What are the benefits?

carasrook

Postby carasrook » Thu May 25, 2017 5:15 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:Since there was so much planner talk ITT...can the planner enthusiasts sell me on a paper planner (vs. digital)? I've been 100% Google calendar for awhile now (I've been out of undergrad for 5 years) and was planning on continuing that in law school until I saw all this planner talk. Why did you all decide to go paper? What are the benefits?

I primarily use a digital calendar (Outlook right now, but I'll switch to Google once I'm no longer @ my job) for reminders & appointments because digital notifications are really helpful.... and use a paper planner as more of a daily and long term to-do list organizer. For me, the process of writing out a to-do list and physically crossing out items is really cathartic, and it's a lot easier to organize in a big paper planner than it is in a digital calendar. It's just a preference, honestly, and it's one more thing to carry around, but for me it's worth it. Also, planners are cute, colorful markers are cute, etc.

hawkeyelaw

Postby hawkeyelaw » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:39 pm

So I have been lurking in this thread as I try to find a suitable tote to surprise my wife with. She is a PA and will be working at several clinics spread across our future college town, so she will be lugging her daily books and supplies with her. Her current bag/briefcase dates from her schooling and is looking a little ratchet. I am intrigued by the Dagne Dover sales (130 seems a great price for the 15") but I am concerned about the disclaimer that they might have some "issues". Has anyone gotten their bag and are the defects noticeable, or is it a total roll of the dice?

NotAGolfer

Postby NotAGolfer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:43 pm

hawkeyelaw wrote:So I have been lurking in this thread as I try to find a suitable tote to surprise my wife with. She is a PA and will be working at several clinics spread across our future college town, so she will be lugging her daily books and supplies with her. Her current bag/briefcase dates from her schooling and is looking a little ratchet. I am intrigued by the Dagne Dover sales (130 seems a great price for the 15") but I am concerned about the disclaimer that they might have some "issues". Has anyone gotten their bag and are the defects noticeable, or is it a total roll of the dice?

I got mine a week and a half ago and found no noticeable defects. Btw I love it and use it everyday

LSRAT

Postby LSRAT » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:33 pm

carasrook wrote:have y'all bought suits yet? i work in a business casual atmosphere so i've never needed to have one.

Ann Taylor usually has some great sales and they have a wonderful petite section. Also check out JCrew Factory Clearance, though it may be more difficult to find petite, but certainly not impossible! I suggest starting with a basic black suit (and then spice it up with some of their cute shirts) because they're usually cheaper and then moving towards adding more colors (navy/gray) to your arsenal after that!

Leliana

Postby Leliana » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Petite here. Seconding Banana Republic and Ann Taylor (though I find AT petite dresses/jackets to be cut very high-waisted, which is annoying as a short woman with a long torso - may not be an issue for you). My favorite suit though is from J. Crew. It's pricier than BR/AT but better quality IMO - if you can snag stuff when they have a promo going on, go for it.

hawkeyelaw wrote:I am intrigued by the Dagne Dover sales (130 seems a great price for the 15") but I am concerned about the disclaimer that they might have some "issues". Has anyone gotten their bag and are the defects noticeable, or is it a total roll of the dice?

I've had my DD tote since fall 2014. No issues whatsoever!

melmelcoolj

Postby melmelcoolj » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:17 am

Leliana wrote:

Petite here. Seconding Banana Republic and Ann Taylor (though I find AT petite dresses/jackets to be cut very high-waisted, which is annoying as a short woman with a long torso - may not be an issue for you). My favorite suit though is from J. Crew. It's pricier than BR/AT but better quality IMO - if you can snag stuff when they have a promo going on, go for it.

hawkeyelaw wrote:I am intrigued by the Dagne Dover sales (130 seems a great price for the 15") but I am concerned about the disclaimer that they might have some "issues". Has anyone gotten their bag and are the defects noticeable, or is it a total roll of the dice?

I've had my DD tote since fall 2014. No issues whatsoever!

When is the next Dagne Dover discount? Do I have to wait another year? If so, I will just go with the Lo & Sons O.G.

Leliana

Postby Leliana » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 am

Lo & Sons has 30% off on select OG/OMG colors today! No black though.

airwrecka

Postby airwrecka » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:38 am

Leliana wrote:Lo & Sons has 30% off on select OG/OMG colors today! No black though.

Thank you for the heads up!!

But now I've found the Dagne Dover bags and I can't decide! I also want to know if/when there will be another sale on those...

DorkothyParker

Postby DorkothyParker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Would this bag be appropriate? It says it can fit a 15" laptop, but I don't know if it is substantial enough.
https://www.amazon.com/Coop-Star-Trek-K ... atleth+bag

melmelcoolj

Postby melmelcoolj » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:47 am

airwrecka wrote:
Leliana wrote:Lo & Sons has 30% off on select OG/OMG colors today! No black though.

But now I've found the Dagne Dover bags and I can't decide! I also want to know if/when there will be another sale on those...

It feels like Lo & Sons is lighter? Dagne Dover is heavier? Ugh, too bad I cannot purchase them, since they can only ship to the US.

eck456

Postby eck456 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:08 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

It feels like Lo & Sons is lighter? Dagne Dover is heavier? Ugh, too bad I cannot purchase them, since they can only ship to the US.

I bought the black lo and sons og during the first iteration of this thread and it's basically my favorite bag now I love it so much and hauling it w me on my overseas internship was an excellent call. Now my favorite travel bag, bar none.

melmelcoolj

Postby melmelcoolj » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:40 am

eck456 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

I bought the black lo and sons og during the first iteration of this thread and it's basically my favorite bag now I love it so much and hauling it w me on my overseas internship was an excellent call. Now my favorite travel bag, bar none.

That sounds great! I'm also thinking about getting it for law school. But I probably will be commuting for 20 min for law school, and I'm a little unsure if it would be a good choice holding law school hornbooks.

Anon.y.mousse.

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:20 am

reallyyyy strongly considering getting the L&S Seville tote while it's on sale. I already have a nylon longchamps so I like the saffiano leather but ughh that pricetag. at least I get three paychecks in july?

edit: bought it. hopefully it lasts me all three years +, I think it's a good investment.

Return to “Law School FAQ”