Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sphyrnidae13
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:19 pm

Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby sphyrnidae13 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Quick question...if I withdraw from an (optional) senior honors thesis I mentioned in my resume, could this be grounds for rescinding an admissions offer? Do I need to notify the school? Thanks

PS the thesis also is on my transcript as a course this semester, so it would appear as a non punitive withdrawal if I withdraw

Alpal29
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby Alpal29 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Normally I say to hell with withdrawals no one cares. But this one actually might hurt you. You'll definitely need to tell the schools if you withdraw.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5635
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby rpupkin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:11 pm

I think this is a non-issue. But if you want to be safe, I suggest circulating an updated resume to the schools to which you've applied. Don't worry—no one will notice (or care) about the change; it's not going to impact your chances of admission anywhere.

User avatar
Kummel
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby Kummel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:23 pm

I don't think the resume is as big a concern as the transcript change (with a W), send an updated resume and updated transcript

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5635
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby rpupkin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:I don't think the resume is as big a concern as the transcript change (with a W), send an updated resume and updated transcript

I disagree. I'd be more concerned about correcting the representation the OP made on his or her resume.

User avatar
Kummel
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby Kummel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:34 pm

rpupkin wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:I don't think the resume is as big a concern as the transcript change (with a W), send an updated resume and updated transcript

I disagree. I'd be more concerned about correcting the representation the OP made on his or her resume.


You know more than me, so I defer to your advice. But having your optional thesis on your resume doesn't seem like schools will care as much as you changing your transcript and not updating it.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5635
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby rpupkin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:46 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:I don't think the resume is as big a concern as the transcript change (with a W), send an updated resume and updated transcript

I disagree. I'd be more concerned about correcting the representation the OP made on his or her resume.


You know more than me, so I defer to your advice. But having your optional thesis on your resume doesn't seem like schools will care as much as you changing your transcript and not updating it.

You don't change your transcript; your school does: that's the difference. The law school that OP decides to attend will ask for a final transcript at some point. That takes care of the transcript issue.

The resume issue is more of a concern because the OP (foolishly) decided to promote the fact that he was intending to complete a thesis on his resume. If you make a decision to list something on your resume, and if that thing later ceases to be accurate for one reason or another, I think you should correct it.

katthegreat11
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby katthegreat11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:36 am

You definitely need to let them know and explain why. It's a strong soft, and could have affected your application. I don't think anyone will rescind their offer because of it, as long as you're withdrawing for a good reason (e.g., not cheating, plagiarising, etc.), but you need to let them know.

User avatar
nunumaster
Posts: 915
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby nunumaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:31 am

I don't think it's a strong soft, no one gives a fuck about your thesis in college. Just send the updated resume.

ETA: Unless you got caught plagerising or something else.
Last edited by nunumaster on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

katthegreat11
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby katthegreat11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 am

I think the reason why you're withdrawing matters...

User avatar
potus
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 am

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby potus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:04 pm

It's optional. It doesn't affect your GPA. It doesn't hurt.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5635
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby rpupkin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:I think the reason why you're withdrawing matters...

Nah. No one cares. The only way this could be an issue for the OP is if it somehow raises a disclosure/candor problem (which is rather unlikely--but at least plausible). That's why, out of an abundance of caution, I think that OP should send in an updated resume.

User avatar
airwrecka
Posts: 1117
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby airwrecka » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 pm

I don't think it will damage you, but it might just remove a soft schools would otherwise appreciate. I know for instance that Harvard asked on their app if you've done any substantial writing, so I included my thesis there. I was then asked about my thesis during my Harvard interview. (granted, theses are different for everyone--mine was 60 pages, so it was obviously very substantial--a 20 page thesis might be less exciting)

asundialwatch
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Postby asundialwatch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:05 am

I withdrew from my thesis and no one cared. You'll probably be fine.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CPA-->JD, saffles and 3 guests