Suggestions for a Freshman Undergraduate Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hmswarspite

New

Suggestions for a Freshman Undergraduate

Post by hmswarspite » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi everybody,

Currently, I'm almost done with my first year of college (roughly two more months to go, maintaining a 4.0).
First, I have a question in regards to what I should be doing between summers of undergrad?
For example, should I find law firms that are looking to hire file clerks, or look for some sort of job in another field?

Second, I have a goal of reaching Stanford Law, and I was hoping to receive any sort of advice?

Best regards.

mjb447

Silver

Re: Suggestions for a Freshman Undergraduate

Post by mjb447 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:15 pm

hmswarspite wrote:Hi everybody,

Currently, I'm almost done with my first year of college (roughly two more months to go, maintaining a 4.0).
First, I have a question in regards to what I should be doing between summers of undergrad?
For example, should I find law firms that are looking to hire file clerks, or look for some sort of job in another field?

Second, I have a goal of reaching Stanford Law, and I was hoping to receive any sort of advice?

Best regards.
What you do during your summers isn't hugely important to making your application strong, although a particularly interesting experience could become part of your personal statement and working for a law firm could give you useful perspective on the legal world. Your LSAT and GPA matter much more than just about anything else. Therefore, best advice is just to do anything you can to maintain your GPA (it's a little early to start practicing the LSAT).

floatie

Silver

Re: Suggestions for a Freshman Undergraduate

Post by floatie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 am

1) Don't spend too much time in this forum, and focus on your grades.
2) When the time comes, put your all into taking the LSAT. 170+ and a high GPA will open tons of doors for you
3) Don't be a boring cookie cutter undergrad checking off boxes. For the top schools, there is no shortage of people with the numbers, and people who've worked at law firms, courts, government, etc. Be interesting and do something you're passionate about. Adcoms like longevity, so now is the time to start.
4) Develop close relationships with some professors so you can get a strong LOR. Make sure you have a least 2-3 strong letters.
5) After undergrad, plan on taking at least a year off. Many people going into law school have at least 1 year of work experience, often more. Personally I felt that I grew and matured so much more during my 2 years off than I did at any point in time in undergrad. Plus, looking very far ahead (for you), that experience will help out during OCI, since you'll have more to talk about than just your classes and internships in undergrad.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”