What's the procedure for withdrawing?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
yeezytaughtme

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:35 pm

What's the procedure for withdrawing?

Postby yeezytaughtme » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:06 pm

So I'm in at my top-choice, UCI, and will be attending barring USC randomly gives me a full-ride or something.

Do I need to email all of the other schools I've been admitted to saying I'm withdrawing? Who do I send it to/what exactly do I say? And before you tell me I shouldn't withdraw for scholarship negotiation, UCI already gave me an ample scholarship and I have enough saved up to pay for the rest.

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: What's the procedure for withdrawing?

Postby guynourmin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:35 pm

No harm in sending one negotiation e-mail, though, right? Anyway, if you want to withdraw you can really just send a 1-2 sentence e-mail saying you appreciate their consideration but wish to withdraw your application. They'll follow up and ask you why (in some detail, maybe with a survey link) even if you tell them why in your original e-mail, so no real reason to do anything other than just withdraw.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: What's the procedure for withdrawing?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:09 pm

When you say "ample", it sounds like you don't mean "full". So I have no idea why you wouldn't at least try negotiating with any offers that come in. You literally have nothing to lose.

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: What's the procedure for withdrawing?

Postby goldenbear2020 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm confused...USC is a better school than UCI. Why would it take a full ride from USC to beat your "ample" UCI offer?

MrSam

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:10 am

Re: What's the procedure for withdrawing?

Postby MrSam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:42 am

Technically, you don't have to withdraw. However, it's a kind gesture to your fellow applicants and the admissions committee.

All you have to do is email the admissions office or a dean of admissions (the latter would be ideal). Let them know that you would like to withdraw your application.
I can't remember what exactly my email said, but it was something along the lines of, "Thanks for your consideration...accepted elsewhere...would like to withdraw...if there's a formal procedure, let me know..."

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: What's the procedure for withdrawing?

Postby Jack_Kelly » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Bumping this. I've paid both deposits at a tier 2. Retook June LSAT and went from 160 to 171. What do now?

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3407
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: What's the procedure for withdrawing?

Postby UVA2B » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:Bumping this. I've paid both deposits at a tier 2. Retook June LSAT and went from 160 to 171. What do now?


Email and inform them that you will not be joining their incoming class. You've forfeited the deposits, but that's whatever. Congrats on the retake!

AJordan

Bronze
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: What's the procedure for withdrawing?

Postby AJordan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:18 pm

yeah, there's really no use at going to a T2 with a 171 unless you're married to a market for some reason AND they give you at least a full ride. Just piss that money away and make it rain with that 171 next cycle.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: What's the procedure for withdrawing?

Postby Jack_Kelly » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:02 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:Bumping this. I've paid both deposits at a tier 2. Retook June LSAT and went from 160 to 171. What do now?


Email and inform them that you will not be joining their incoming class. You've forfeited the deposits, but that's whatever. Congrats on the retake!

AJordan wrote:yeah, there's really no use at going to a T2 with a 171 unless you're married to a market for some reason AND they give you at least a full ride. Just piss that money away and make it rain with that 171 next cycle.


Appreciate both, guess I'll write that tonight. Thanks!

User avatar
it's allgood

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: What's the procedure for withdrawing?

Postby it's allgood » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:Bumping this. I've paid both deposits at a tier 2. Retook June LSAT and went from 160 to 171. What do now?


Email and inform them that you will not be joining their incoming class. You've forfeited the deposits, but that's whatever. Congrats on the retake!

AJordan wrote:yeah, there's really no use at going to a T2 with a 171 unless you're married to a market for some reason AND they give you at least a full ride. Just piss that money away and make it rain with that 171 next cycle.


Appreciate both, guess I'll write that tonight. Thanks!


How did you study for the 11 point bump???

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: What's the procedure for withdrawing?

Postby Jack_Kelly » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:20 am

it's allgood wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:Bumping this. I've paid both deposits at a tier 2. Retook June LSAT and went from 160 to 171. What do now?


Email and inform them that you will not be joining their incoming class. You've forfeited the deposits, but that's whatever. Congrats on the retake!

AJordan wrote:yeah, there's really no use at going to a T2 with a 171 unless you're married to a market for some reason AND they give you at least a full ride. Just piss that money away and make it rain with that 171 next cycle.


Appreciate both, guess I'll write that tonight. Thanks!


How did you study for the 11 point bump???

7sage LG videos mostly. Did several PTs. Only studied for a month tbh.



Return to “Law School FAQ?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests