Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
OlegPerry97

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:56 am

Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Postby OlegPerry97 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm currently in the last year of my undergrad (graduating after summer courses) and have my lSAT in June. Currently I have an unpaid internship but am looking for full-time work that I could do over the course of the next year. Is there anything specifically over the course of a gap year that I should do? I'm not necessarily talking about things to add to my application/resume but just in general.

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Postby floatie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:25 pm

You have a ton of options - what your job is doesn't really matter as far as admissions outcomes. You could look into AmeriCorps (most schools will grant you a fee waiver). Other options include working as a paralegal, research assistant, LSAT tutor (if your score is high enough), or something that your degree allows (I have a couple friends with science degrees who worked as lab techs for a year).

OlegPerry97

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:56 am

Re: Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Postby OlegPerry97 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:51 pm

floatie wrote:You have a ton of options - what your job is doesn't really matter as far as admissions outcomes. You could look into AmeriCorps (most schools will grant you a fee waiver). Other options include working as a paralegal, research assistant, LSAT tutor (if your score is high enough), or something that your degree allows (I have a couple friends with science degrees who worked as lab techs for a year).


I was considering paralegal and have heard that thrown out as an option several times, but it takes about 2 years to receive certification from what I've seen.

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Postby floatie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:28 pm

OlegPerry97 wrote:
floatie wrote:You have a ton of options - what your job is doesn't really matter as far as admissions outcomes. You could look into AmeriCorps (most schools will grant you a fee waiver). Other options include working as a paralegal, research assistant, LSAT tutor (if your score is high enough), or something that your degree allows (I have a couple friends with science degrees who worked as lab techs for a year).


I was considering paralegal and have heard that thrown out as an option several times, but it takes about 2 years to receive certification from what I've seen.


You don't have to get certified to work as a paralegal. There are some small firms and public interest organizations that will take you on and train you.

blueapple

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Re: Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Postby blueapple » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:30 am

floatie wrote:
OlegPerry97 wrote:
floatie wrote:You have a ton of options - what your job is doesn't really matter as far as admissions outcomes. You could look into AmeriCorps (most schools will grant you a fee waiver). Other options include working as a paralegal, research assistant, LSAT tutor (if your score is high enough), or something that your degree allows (I have a couple friends with science degrees who worked as lab techs for a year).


I was considering paralegal and have heard that thrown out as an option several times, but it takes about 2 years to receive certification from what I've seen.


You don't have to get certified to work as a paralegal. There are some small firms and public interest organizations that will take you on and train you.


Look for jobs at law firms that are called legal assistant jobs also. These are paralegal jobs just with a different title.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OlegPerry97

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:56 am

Re: Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Postby OlegPerry97 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:33 am

blueapple wrote:
floatie wrote:
OlegPerry97 wrote:
floatie wrote:You have a ton of options - what your job is doesn't really matter as far as admissions outcomes. You could look into AmeriCorps (most schools will grant you a fee waiver). Other options include working as a paralegal, research assistant, LSAT tutor (if your score is high enough), or something that your degree allows (I have a couple friends with science degrees who worked as lab techs for a year).


I was considering paralegal and have heard that thrown out as an option several times, but it takes about 2 years to receive certification from what I've seen.


You don't have to get certified to work as a paralegal. There are some small firms and public interest organizations that will take you on and train you.


Look for jobs at law firms that are called legal assistant jobs also. These are paralegal jobs just with a different title.


Ok, I always thought there was a critical distinction between paralegal and legal assistant, thanks!

MrSam

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:10 am

Re: Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Postby MrSam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:44 am

Study, stay busy, don't be lazy. I think that pretty much covers it.

AJordan

Bronze
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Postby AJordan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:25 am

Removed



Return to “Law School FAQ?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests