Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
OlegPerry97

Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Postby OlegPerry97 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm currently in the last year of my undergrad (graduating after summer courses) and have my lSAT in June. Currently I have an unpaid internship but am looking for full-time work that I could do over the course of the next year. Is there anything specifically over the course of a gap year that I should do? I'm not necessarily talking about things to add to my application/resume but just in general.

floatie

Re: Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Postby floatie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:25 pm

You have a ton of options - what your job is doesn't really matter as far as admissions outcomes. You could look into AmeriCorps (most schools will grant you a fee waiver). Other options include working as a paralegal, research assistant, LSAT tutor (if your score is high enough), or something that your degree allows (I have a couple friends with science degrees who worked as lab techs for a year).

OlegPerry97

Postby OlegPerry97 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:51 pm

floatie wrote:You have a ton of options - what your job is doesn't really matter as far as admissions outcomes. You could look into AmeriCorps (most schools will grant you a fee waiver). Other options include working as a paralegal, research assistant, LSAT tutor (if your score is high enough), or something that your degree allows (I have a couple friends with science degrees who worked as lab techs for a year).

I was considering paralegal and have heard that thrown out as an option several times, but it takes about 2 years to receive certification from what I've seen.

floatie

Postby floatie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:28 pm

OlegPerry97 wrote:
floatie wrote:You have a ton of options - what your job is doesn't really matter as far as admissions outcomes. You could look into AmeriCorps (most schools will grant you a fee waiver). Other options include working as a paralegal, research assistant, LSAT tutor (if your score is high enough), or something that your degree allows (I have a couple friends with science degrees who worked as lab techs for a year).

I was considering paralegal and have heard that thrown out as an option several times, but it takes about 2 years to receive certification from what I've seen.

You don't have to get certified to work as a paralegal. There are some small firms and public interest organizations that will take you on and train you.

blueapple

Postby blueapple » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:30 am

floatie wrote:
OlegPerry97 wrote:

You don't have to get certified to work as a paralegal. There are some small firms and public interest organizations that will take you on and train you.

Look for jobs at law firms that are called legal assistant jobs also. These are paralegal jobs just with a different title.

OlegPerry97

Postby OlegPerry97 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:33 am

blueapple wrote:
floatie wrote:
OlegPerry97 wrote:

Look for jobs at law firms that are called legal assistant jobs also. These are paralegal jobs just with a different title.

Ok, I always thought there was a critical distinction between paralegal and legal assistant, thanks!

MrSam

Postby MrSam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:44 am

Study, stay busy, don't be lazy. I think that pretty much covers it.

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:25 am

Little bit of backwards planning here:

"I knew I wanted to go to law school but I had an opportunity to 'X' which appealed to me because 'Y' and in hindsight I'm very glad I made the decision to wait a year to apply because taking that opportunity taught me 'Z'"

That's how I'd answer it in an interview. Therefore, I'd want 'X' to be a task/job/experience that makes me seem focused/open/goal oriented. Examples:

X = take a job as a legal assistant, Y = getting actual experience in a legal office from the bottom of the chain was important to me, Z = How everyone on the team is essential to the work which gave me the perspective to understand just how much the profession aligns with my desire to be a member of a strong team

X = do some audio engineering/technical direction (run cables) for warped tour, Y = of the hectic schedule and intense responsibility knowing that if I failed the whole show failed, Z = that I am not only cut out for the pressures of a 15 hour work day, but that I actually thrive in one. The confidence I gleaned was invaluable.

X = teach English in China, Y = my lack of exposure to cultures outside my fairly insular upbringing left me feeling like less of a citizen of the world and therefore out of touch, Z = just how small the world really is, that fear of the unknown is a poisonous idea to give to others, and the need for cultural understanding in a globalized society.

As long as you can create your own without sounding too disingenuous you're going to be just fine.

Return to “Law School FAQ”