JD/MSE

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
meshoema
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:38 pm

JD/MSE

Postby meshoema » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:52 pm

My law school offers a duel degree program where I can obtain a JD as well as a MASTER OF ELECTRICAL & COMPUTER ENGINEERING at the same time by taking additional courses in the summer terms. I have a BSEE and want to go into patent law. I already have a masters in legal studies as well. However, I do not have any patent procession work experience. My work history mainly consists of military and engineering. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to whether the additional masters degree would give me an advance in the patent prosecution career field after I graduate. I would still be able to complete my JD/MS in 3 years. So my time in school is not extended. But, the catch is that I would have to take summer courses which would limit my availability for internships. Therefore, I was wondering what is valued more in patent world: a patent related internship during the summer terms of law school, or obtaining a MASTER OF ELECTRICAL & COMPUTER ENGINEERING and doing a local clerkship.

Keep in mind, I am attending a law school in a rural area and have limited options of doing both....

I would greatly appreciate any related advice!

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: JD/MSE

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Not sure why you CAPS LOCKED THE MASTERS DEGREE, but FWIW, I have an MSEE, and in all of my interviews (mostly T14) thus far, it has been noted as making me highly desirable/competitive for patent/IP work post-law school.

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: JD/MSE

Postby floatie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:08 pm

meshoema wrote: But, the catch is that I would have to take summer courses which would limit my availability for internships.


This is problematic. Can you afford to take 4 years for the dual degree and leave your summers open for internships? That would be your best option.

meshoema
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: JD/MSE

Postby meshoema » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:11 pm

mrgstephe wrote:Not sure why you CAPS LOCKED THE MASTERS DEGREE, but FWIW, I have an MSEE, and in all of my interviews (mostly T14) thus far, it has been noted as making me highly desirable/competitive for patent/IP work post-law school.



Thank you for your response! I didn't mean anything by making the masters degree in all caps. Sorry!

goldenbear2020
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: JD/MSE

Postby goldenbear2020 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:03 pm

You could just take summer classes after 1L and 3L, but you definitely need to leave 2L summer open for a summer associate position at a law firm, since that will 99% end up being your full-time offer.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 4591
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: JD/MSE

Postby androstan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:51 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:You could just take summer classes after 1L and 3L, but you definitely need to leave 2L summer open for a summer associate position at a law firm, since that will 99% end up being your full-time offer.

Yes. Ideally you'd get the msece and do at least a 2l summer associate gig. 1l summer helps too. I'd take four years and do both rather than have to choose.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest