Dating?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
dannyswo

Re: Dating?

Postby dannyswo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:55 am

brinicolec wrote:
dannyswo wrote:Go to a bar. Walk up to someone you're attracted to. Say hello.

Does this actually work for people?

Side note: A woman approaches you at a bar, offers to buy you a drink. Weird, or attractive? :lol:

It's great if people offer to buy you a drink. Attractive.

It does work. The key is to know your audience. Go to bars where people go to meet other people. Be friendly, but not pushy. Pay attention to body language. Go out with a group of friends and have a good time. Don't put any pressure on yourself and embrace rejection, because it's really not a bad thing at all. Keep in mind that meeting people works best for really, really attractive people, but there are plenty of people who are going to find you attractive regardless of whether you look like a leading man/woman in Hollywood. Go do things you like to do, go to bars you like, and you'll find people who you have things in common with.

LandMermaid

Postby LandMermaid » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:54 am

brinicolec wrote:

Side note: A woman approaches you at a bar, offers to buy you a drink. Weird, or attractive? :lol:

Tbh this is how I met my boyfriend and we've been together for three years so I highly recommend this approach

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:49 am

Yeah but the only downside of this is I might die lol

S.Picquery

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:04 pm

nimbus cloud wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Shocking. :shock: :mrgreen:

This is how I met my lady. We've been together for 5+ years.

Also, I don't think I could date another 1L, regardless. It sounds like things could get incestuous too easily.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:07 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Shocking. :shock: :mrgreen:

This is how I met my lady. We've been together for 5+ years.

Also, I don't think I could date another 1L, regardless. It sounds like things could get incestuous too easily.

Definitely my fear

S.Picquery

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Stylnator wrote:Definitely my fear

I wouldn't worry too much. I believe I remember you getting acceptances from UW and somewhere in Boston (BC, BU?), so I wouldn't worry too much. UW has a ton of other grad programs, and you'll be in a great city to meet so many awesome people. Boston, likewise, is a great city to meet people. There are 8 million colleges/universities there, so tons of people and tons of mixers/other opportunities to meet folks.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:14 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Definitely my fear

I wouldn't worry too much. I believe I remember you getting acceptances from UW and somewhere in Boston (BC, BU?), so I wouldn't worry too much. UW has a ton of other grad programs, and you'll be in a great city to meet so many awesome people. Boston, likewise, is a great city to meet people. There are 8 million colleges/universities there, so tons of people and tons of mixers/other opportunities to meet folks.

Thanks for the hope! Still waiting on UW but I'm in BC (still waiting on $$ info). I'm trying not to let my singledom be a factor in where I go but it's definitely in the back of my mind that I'd have better chances in a city like Boston rather than Hartford (UConn is top choice right now).

S.Picquery

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:17 pm

Stylnator wrote:Thanks for the hope! Still waiting on UW but I'm in BC (still waiting on $$ info). I'm trying not to let my singledom be a factor in where I go but it's definitely in the back of my mind that I'd have better chances in a city like Boston rather than Hartford (UConn is top choice right now).

I don't know if that's true. Between UConn and Yale, you have a town with lots of students, especially grad students. Again, I wouldn't worry too much.

liuwenyu

Postby liuwenyu » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:21 pm

Stylnator wrote:

lmao same

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:30 am

S.Picquery wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Thanks for the hope! Still waiting on UW but I'm in BC (still waiting on $$ info). I'm trying not to let my singledom be a factor in where I go but it's definitely in the back of my mind that I'd have better chances in a city like Boston rather than Hartford (UConn is top choice right now).

I don't know if that's true. Between UConn and Yale, you have a town with lots of students, especially grad students. Again, I wouldn't worry too much.

Also... ultimately, at any LS, there's usually a grad school nearby... I'm sure most schools have places grad students hang out and stuff that you can go to and try to mingle!

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:30 am

liuwenyu wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

lmao same

Liquid courage, perhaps?

Mr_Chukes

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:55 am

Don't worry about it op. I'm sure you will find someone during LS. A lot of people find partners there. My friend broke up with his girl during 1L. Now in 2L he is already fooling about with three girls. I think he cut the others off and focused on one girl now.
Last edited by Mr_Chukes on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Chukes

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:01 am

brinicolec wrote:

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKErmFliQG0[/youtube]
One time I was at a bar with my cousin. A girl bought him a drink. He said thank you and as soon as she walked away, he put it on a table. He was like naw what if she rufeed it lol.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:11 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:Don't worry about it op. I'm sure you will find someone during LS. A lot of people find partners there. My friend broke up with his girl during 1L. Now in 2L he is already fooling about with three girls. I think he cut the others off and focused on one girl now.

That's not quite the experience I'm looking for..

Mr_Chukes

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:15 am

Stylnator wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:Don't worry about it op. I'm sure you will find someone during LS. A lot of people find partners there. My friend broke up with his girl during 1L. Now in 2L he is already fooling about with three girls. I think he cut the others off and focused on one girl now.

I know lol I'm just saying it shouldn't be too hard. There will be other people looking as well. What school are you leaning towards btw?

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:48 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

I know lol I'm just saying it shouldn't be too hard. There will be other people looking as well. What school are you leaning towards btw?

UConn is top choice so far! Yet to receive info on money for BC or UW but if it's enough it'll put them in the running.

forlornhope

Postby forlornhope » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:39 pm

For the love of all things not socially awkward, please don't make too much of an effort to date within the law school at UW. I personally feel the small class size makes things too "incestuous," as S.Picquery pointed out.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:45 pm

forlornhope wrote:

For the love of all things not socially awkward, please don't make too much of an effort to date within the law school at UW. I personally feel the small class size makes things too "incestuous," as S.Picquery pointed out.

I know this thread is getting kind of long but I mentioned in my original post I have a preference for non law students. This is why I wanted to make a thread actually! I don't doubt there will be opportunity amongst my class but it could def get awkward and I've been there :shock:

I'm curious though, does UW have smaller than normal class sizes?

S.Picquery

Postby S.Picquery » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Stylnator wrote:
forlornhope wrote:

I know this thread is getting kind of long but I mentioned in my original post I have a preference for non law students. This is why I wanted to make a thread actually! I don't doubt there will be opportunity amongst my class but it could def get awkward and I've been there :shock:

I'm curious though, does UW have smaller than normal class sizes?

GULD and HLS are at the top with >550. UW is ~170.

Whittie

Postby Whittie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Just feel like its worth saying, you will find what you think you will find.

If you go into LS dating - or any other context for that matter - with the idea that you won't have time, are too nervous or that the right people aren't there, you will be right. If you just put yourself out there and talk to people you are attracted to and be kind you will do great. Once you are out of college/high school having "game" is not useful. Pay attention to what the other person says and smile alot and you will have no trouble finding someone to spend your time with. Just my two cents :)

Good luck OP!

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:37 am

Fwiw, OP, I think you're smart to try and restrict your dating prospects to people outside your day to day operations. If you go to law school in a place like NYC or DC this will be easily achievable and some investment in dating will likely be beneficial. If you're going to a place like Ithaca or South Bend you'll likely find your options much more limited and will have to walk a finer line in finding the time, energy, and social momentum to keeping dating fun. Whatever you do, be careful about letting your dating successes/failures define you. Most of my social circle who stayed unmarried past UG tended to have a lot of failures dating but that sure as hell beats a rushed, failed marriage. Just be you and take it at your pace. Don't let the pressures of being single into your late 20s get you down. I waited until I was 31 to get married and it was absolutely the right decision.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:24 am

AJordan wrote:Fwiw, OP, I think you're smart to try and restrict your dating prospects to people outside your day to day operations. If you go to law school in a place like NYC or DC this will be easily achievable and some investment in dating will likely be beneficial. If you're going to a place like Ithaca or South Bend you'll likely find your options much more limited and will have to walk a finer line in finding the time, energy, and social momentum to keeping dating fun. Whatever you do, be careful about letting your dating successes/failures define you. Most of my social circle who stayed unmarried past UG tended to have a lot of failures dating but that sure as hell beats a rushed, failed marriage. Just be you and take it at your pace. Don't let the pressures of being single into your late 20s get you down. I waited until I was 31 to get married and it was absolutely the right decision.

Thanks for the advice! I most likely won't be in any large city unfortunately but let's hope something will work out! I'm not even mid 20s and I already feel social pressure! As a girl it's almost expected to not be single than if I were a guy. At least that's what I've found in the way people have posed questions to me.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 am

Whittie wrote:Just feel like its worth saying, you will find what you think you will find.

If you go into LS dating - or any other context for that matter - with the idea that you won't have time, are too nervous or that the right people aren't there, you will be right. If you just put yourself out there and talk to people you are attracted to and be kind you will do great. Once you are out of college/high school having "game" is not useful. Pay attention to what the other person says and smile alot and you will have no trouble finding someone to spend your time with. Just my two cents :)

Good luck OP!

I'm not even sure what 'having game' means so I guess it's good that it's not useful haha. Thanks for the luck!

nunumaster

Postby nunumaster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:42 am

Dated another 1L, was a mistake. Dating other law students during 2L or 3L isn't so bad, except that they are law students.

Nothing wrong with tinder if you're in a big city.

MediocreAtBest

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:20 am

brinicolec wrote:

Happened to me in Atlantic City...kinda. I was just in the right place at the right time. I walked up to the bar to get a drink, and these two girls had three shots in front of them, saw me, and said "hey come take this shot with us!" So i did. And that was it, no conversation, no numbers exchanged haha. Still cool to get anything free at the bar as a guy, especially an overpriced bar.

Return to “Law School FAQ”