Dating?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Stylnator

Dating?

Postby Stylnator » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Last edited by Stylnator on Mon May 01, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lavitz

Re: Dating?

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:09 am

At my school, most law students either dated other law students or met undergrads / grad students through dating apps, and you've ruled out both of these options. Then again, we were also in the middle of nowhere, so if you're in an urban area, you'd probably have more options to date locals. Depending on the school, there may also be events and mixers to meet other grad students.

As for having the time, I avoided dating during 1L because I figured it would take up too much time, but others were successful at balancing it with studies, so it depends. If you're concerned, you can just see if you naturally meet anyone during 1L, and if not, wait until 2L to start making a real effort. At least then you likely won't be worried about grades.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:41 am

I had like 100x more time during LS, including 1L than after LS. You have plenty of time to date if you want to.

I think dating other 1Ls tends to be a bad idea, that's a mistake certain people have to make for themselves.

KissMyAxe

Postby KissMyAxe » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:37 am

I think you're going to have a difficult time. At my school, most students come in with long term relationships. Of the ones who are dating, they tend to date other law students or use tinder. I think it's entirely possible to go to bars where undergrads and other professional school students hang out, but it's definitely an uphill battle.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:07 am

sublime wrote:I had like 100x more time during LS, including 1L than after LS. You have plenty of time to date if you want to.

I think dating other 1Ls tends to be a bad idea, that's a mistake certain people have to make for themselves.

Out of curiosity, why do you think dating other 1Ls is a bad idea?

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:18 am

brinicolec wrote:
sublime wrote:I had like 100x more time during LS, including 1L than after LS. You have plenty of time to date if you want to.

Because of the period of time between Thanksgiving and exams.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:15 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:I think you're going to have a difficult time. At my school, most students come in with long term relationships. Of the ones who are dating, they tend to date other law students or use tinder. I think it's entirely possible to go to bars where undergrads and other professional school students hang out, but it's definitely an uphill battle.

This is what I'm scared of! Everyone being in a relationship and then I just don't know what to do. Looking to go to an urban area to see if that'll help in terms of the dating pool

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:33 pm

we can go on a date op and see what happens

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:10 pm

Online dating seems the most efficient way to date if you're worried about having enough time.
Also you're a spring chicken so don't worry so much.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:02 pm

~ also ~ I just feel it's important to say believe me when I tell you that dating isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be so don't feel like you're behind the curve/feel like you're missing out.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:18 pm

brinicolec wrote:~ also ~ I just feel it's important to say believe me when I tell you that dating isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be so don't feel like you're behind the curve/feel like you're missing out.

Hearing that is kind of refreshing. But looks like I'll be able to make time if i want to so that's also reassuring. Thank you everyone!!

guynourmin

Postby guynourmin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:22 pm

brinicolec wrote:~ also ~ I just feel it's important to say believe me when I tell you that dating isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be so don't feel like you're behind the curve/feel like you're missing out.

about to (well, maybe. sometime, idk) start dating for the first time in my adult life. really not looking forward to it...I'm sure this comment is exactly right, and that makes it even worse.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:26 pm

guybourdin wrote:

about to (well, maybe. sometime, idk) start dating for the first time in my adult life. really not looking forward to it...I'm sure this comment is exactly right, and that makes it even worse.

Lol, don't let me convince you dating is a bad idea. To be honest, I've just had some shitty dating experiences ever since I was in high school and I dated a student-athlete in college which was.... as most would expect it to be :lol: . I think the trick is just making sure you're with the right person -- which is obviously easier said than done.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:32 pm

brinicolec wrote:

A) Because then you'd be dating a law student
B) Why do you think it's a good idea to eat in the bathroom?

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

A) Because then you'd be dating a law student
B) Why do you think it's a good idea to eat in the bathroom?

A) so you're against dating a LS completely?
B) WELL SHOOOOOOT IF I'M HUNGRY

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Law students are totally not insufferable nope not one bit.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Rigo wrote:Law students are totally not insufferable nope not one bit.

I've already recruited several of my friends to tell me whether or not I start acting out/stop being fun :lol:

Gunner19

Postby Gunner19 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Assuming you are a 1L, It may be wise to hold off on any romance until after this semester. Of course it may go perfectly fine, and I hate to be the cynic, but it also has the potential to be emotionally devastating should things go south. I recently ended a long term relationship and its been extremely hard to focus on work and readings, which is worrisome considering the gravity of 1L grades. Even provided you do find someone special, that in itself could be a major distraction.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Gunner19 wrote:Assuming you are a 1L, It may be wise to hold off on any romance until after this semester. Of course it may go perfectly fine, and I hate to be the cynic, but it also has the potential to be emotionally devastating should things go south. I recently ended a long term relationship and its been extremely hard to focus on work and readings, which is worrisome considering the gravity of 1L grades. Even provided you do find someone special, that in itself could be a major distraction.

They're a 0L looking to hit the ground running.

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

dannyswo

Postby dannyswo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:57 pm

Go to a bar. Walk up to someone you're attracted to. Say hello.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:39 pm

dannyswo wrote:Go to a bar. Walk up to someone you're attracted to. Say hello.

Does this actually work for people?

Side note: A woman approaches you at a bar, offers to buy you a drink. Weird, or attractive? :lol:

nimbus cloud

Postby nimbus cloud » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:08 am

Last edited by nimbus cloud on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mudiverse

Postby mudiverse » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:19 am

brinicolec wrote:

Side note: A woman approaches you at a bar, offers to buy you a drink. Weird, or attractive? :lol:

I've lived in 5 different states and 3 different countries. I drink a lot.

I have never seen this happen but if someone did this for me I could probably die happy.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:27 am

mudiverse wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I've lived in 5 different states and 3 different countries. I drink a lot.

I have never seen this happen but if someone did this for me I could probably die happy.

Interesting. Lol

Return to “Law School FAQ”