Best books to read before law school

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
O.J.
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby O.J. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:58 pm

mjb447 wrote:Maybe OP isn't looking for "mastery," but he's not asking for beach reading - he's looking for "must read books" containing "tips" that will presumably give him an advantage during law school. Some people have recommended books that are arguably in that vein (e.g. Getting to Maybe), but there really aren't many books like that, and people disagree about whether any of them are very helpful.


Agreed, and apologize for steering this into an argument.

User avatar
Smc1994
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby Smc1994 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Everybody Poops--changed my life. Not necessarily for the better.

connordalto
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby connordalto » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:40 pm

OP update: thanks for the suggestions. As I emphasized originally, I wasn't interested in books about course materials. General consensus is that "Getting to Maybe" is the go to, perhaps I will read it. Although I assume practice exams, office hours, and conversations with 2Ls would serve as an adequate substitute for info about exams.

I just finished "The Alchemist" by Paolo Coelho and it was spectacular. Also "The Stand" by Steven King is at the top of my list for those interested.

Thanks!!

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1201
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Read the entire Harry Potter series from beginning to end, because I heard law school is very similar to Harry's experiences at Hogwarts :D :wink:

User avatar
mjb447
Posts: 1200
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby mjb447 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Read the entire Harry Potter series from beginning to end, because I heard law school is very similar to Harry's experiences at Hogwarts :D :wink:

Harry, Cedric Diggory, whichever.

connordalto
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby connordalto » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Read the entire Harry Potter series from beginning to end, because I heard law school is very similar to Harry's experiences at Hogwarts :D :wink:


I actually just listened to the entire series at work while doing doc review haha

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1201
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:45 pm

connordalto wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Read the entire Harry Potter series from beginning to end, because I heard law school is very similar to Harry's experiences at Hogwarts :D :wink:


I actually just listened to the entire series at work while doing doc review haha


hahah omg doc review...I've listen to like every John Oliver episode like 4 times during those dark hours

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't know if its a must read, but The Bramble Bush was a read that I thought could be helpful

addie1412
Posts: 542
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby addie1412 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:23 pm

So for those of us who ARE looking for some entertaining, LS-related beach reading, any recommendations? Along the lines of One L, which I really enjoyed.

HonestAdvice
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby HonestAdvice » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Anecdotally, everyone who came into law school in a relationship got married or underperformed on exams. Reading a book now or later isn't going to change your grades. Removing potential distractions will.

Rubbishdump
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby Rubbishdump » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:33 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:Anecdotally, everyone who came into law school in a relationship got married or underperformed on exams. Reading a book now or later isn't going to change your grades. Removing potential distractions will.

Makes me feel good about my last relationship falling apart

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28082
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:24 am

HonestAdvice wrote:Anecdotally, everyone who came into law school in a relationship got married or underperformed on exams. Reading a book now or later isn't going to change your grades. Removing potential distractions will.

This is ridiculous bullshit.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:32 am

HonestAdvice wrote:Anecdotally, everyone who came into law school in a relationship got married or underperformed on exams. Reading a book now or later isn't going to change your grades. Removing potential distractions will.


Wait, so is the implication here that having a significant other -> poor performance in law school? If so, LOL.

thewhalefish
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby thewhalefish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:19 am

brinicolec wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:Anecdotally, everyone who came into law school in a relationship got married or underperformed on exams. Reading a book now or later isn't going to change your grades. Removing potential distractions will.


Wait, so is the implication here that having a significant other -> poor performance in law school? If so, LOL.


Sounds like a juicy new example for Powerscore to put in next year's LR Bible...

"In this example, having a significant other is the sufficient condition, and poor performance in law school is the necessary condition. We diagram this conditional relationship as such:
SO --> PPS


It may be tempting to say, "What if my significant other is actually proven to improve my performance in school?" Be careful! This is known as the Mistaken Reversal: clearly you just aren't thinking right here. Skip these kinds of questions and rethink your life."

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:25 am

thewhalefish wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:Anecdotally, everyone who came into law school in a relationship got married or underperformed on exams. Reading a book now or later isn't going to change your grades. Removing potential distractions will.


Wait, so is the implication here that having a significant other -> poor performance in law school? If so, LOL.


Sounds like a juicy new example for Powerscore to put in next year's LR Bible...

"In this example, having a significant other is the sufficient condition, and poor performance in law school is the necessary condition. We diagram this conditional relationship as such:
SO --> PPS


It may be tempting to say, "What if my significant other is actually proven to improve my performance in school?" Be careful! This is known as the Mistaken Reversal: clearly you just aren't thinking right here. Skip these kinds of questions and rethink your life."



:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love how we're a kind of nerdy that only other LSAT-takers truly understand.

Edit: I said something redundant.

thewhalefish
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby thewhalefish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:26 am

brinicolec wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:Anecdotally, everyone who came into law school in a relationship got married or underperformed on exams. Reading a book now or later isn't going to change your grades. Removing potential distractions will.


Wait, so is the implication here that having a significant other -> poor performance in law school? If so, LOL.


Sounds like a juicy new example for Powerscore to put in next year's LR Bible...

"In this example, having a significant other is the sufficient condition, and poor performance in law school is the necessary condition. We diagram this conditional relationship as such:
SO --> PPS


It may be tempting to say, "What if my significant other is actually proven to improve my performance in school?" Be careful! This is known as the Mistaken Reversal: clearly you just aren't thinking right here. Skip these kinds of questions and rethink your life."



:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love how we're a kind of nerdy that only other LSAT-takers truly understand.

Edit: I said something redundant.


Dammit, well, evidently I'm in too far to back out now. Lol.

User avatar
34iplaw
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:41 am



Sorry to bring you back into the fold, but the following comment was pure gold.

[–]spektralmia 30 points 1 month ago
It's not polarizing if all of us hate you.

User avatar
cyclawps
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: Best books to read before law school

Postby cyclawps » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 am

How about something more general on cognitive biases rather than on law or law school specifically? "You are Not So Smart" by Dave McRaney is a good cataloguing of cognitive biases. It's useful, but even more enjoyable (and similarly useful) is "Unpersuadables" by Will Storr. "Unpersuadables" narrates Storr's exploration into the wild and woolly world of human beliefs, how beliefs are formed, maintained, and defended. Both books are humbling.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests