Jobs during year off

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
O.J.
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:32 am

Jobs during year off

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:30 am

I'll have an entire year off between UG and LS. I was going to take it off to focus on family and creative endeavors, but now I'm wondering if I should take a job in law somewhere, maybe part time. What do you guys think? Would it have any bearing on my LS application, or just a useless soft? If I were to take a gig in law, what would you suggest for a year? What kind of entry level stuff is out there for prospective 0L students?

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby emkay625 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:15 am

The answer to this question depends on a few things. Do you need the income from a job to live right now? And what will your financial situation be like in law school? But if neither is a huge concern, I'd recommend spending the year doing something you love that is still substantive. Intern somewhere part time in a field you're really interested in. Volunteer for a cause you care a lot about. Etc. Spend the rest of your time hanging out with friends and family and having fun.

User avatar
WamBamThankYouMaam
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:59 am

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby WamBamThankYouMaam » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:16 am

Definitely get at least a part-time job, some schools won't look fondly on a gap in your resume. I know people here have mentioned schools emailing them asking about gaps in their resumes.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:39 am

In hindsight, I should've been a stripper for this time off. Surprisingly lucrative career, great full body workout. Anyway, to answer your questions: I'm not really sure how much a law job is going to boost your app. I had that same thought prior to my gap year but ended up just being a bartender because it's a chill job and I make enough. But also, I don't think having a job as like... a paralegal or something... is going to be the thing on your resume that gives you an edge over someone with similar stats. I agree with the person above me, just. do. something. to avoid a gap on your resume. Preferably something enjoyable.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 4369
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby KMart » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:44 am

emkay625 wrote:The answer to this question depends on a few things. Do you need the income from a job to live right now? And what will your financial situation be like in law school? But if neither is a huge concern, I'd recommend spending the year doing something you love that is still substantive. Intern somewhere part time in a field you're really interested in. Volunteer for a cause you care a lot about. Etc. Spend the rest of your time hanging out with friends and family and having fun.

This is 100% the right answer. A job in a law firm isn't going to materially help you. The only way I can see it being helpful is by showing you what it's like to work in a law firm, but this is only good for people who are unsure if they even want to go to Law School (i.e. not you). If you can, sit back and relax and do something you really love. If you need to make money for a year, chase money.

zeglo
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby zeglo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:10 am

.
Last edited by zeglo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hangingtree
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:39 am

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby hangingtree » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:39 am

This shouldn't be a huge factor in your decision, but if you're very unfamiliar with the practice of law you'd probably benefit from working in law in some capacity. The experience would color how you approach interviewing, studying, and even taking exams. When I started law school it wasn't immediately clear to me what makes a good lawyer. I felt in the dark until at least OCI. Everyone feels this way, but I think the people who are familiar with practicing law before law school have a not insignificant edge. I'd venture to say you may even perform better on exams with prior legal experience. Maybe.

Exactly what KMart said, but wanted to elaborate on how it might help you.

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby waldorf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Are you just so wealthy that you don't need to work at all during a year? You don't have to answer that but I'm confused as to how/why someone would go an entire year without working. Also, remember that you won't be working a lot (or at all) during law school - it wouldn't hurt to have even a small financial cushion.

During my gap year, I worked on political campaigns through election season and am now a legal assistant at a law firm. I do need the money to live, so not working at all wasn't an option for me, but I did decide to look for jobs that interested me. Being a legal assistant has definitely been helpful - my only exposure to law was through my dad, who did exclusively criminal law - and I have learned a lot about different areas of the law, even if it's just basic stuff.

Side note: I did not work at a law firm to boost my resume or help my chances (at school or in the career field). I did it because it interests me, it pays well, I love the people I work with, and I've learned a lot. I don't expect it to help my chances in any way. My work experience in politics is very extensive though, so I got some great recommendations through that and in interviews, brought up my extensive political work experience and GPA as indicators that I will be a successful law student despite my less than stellar LSAT score.

TLDR; I got a job because I need the money to live and I enjoy the work. I wouldn't have wanted to waitress, work retail, etc. as a part time job - I did want to do something I enjoy while making money and hopefully gaining some knowledge. Don't do it solely to boost your resume because it won't help your chances (besides not giving you a huge gap that some schools could look down upon).

User avatar
laqueredup
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:05 am

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby laqueredup » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:11 pm

.
Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby waldorf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:12 pm

laqueredup wrote:
brinicolec wrote:In hindsight, I should've been a stripper for this time off. Surprisingly lucrative career, great full body workout. Anyway, to answer your questions: I'm not really sure how much a law job is going to boost your app. I had that same thought prior to my gap year but ended up just being a bartender because it's a chill job and I make enough. But also, I don't think having a job as like... a paralegal or something... is going to be the thing on your resume that gives you an edge over someone with similar stats. I agree with the person above me, just. do. something. to avoid a gap on your resume. Preferably something enjoyable.


I think stripper would have been a more interesting resume bullet than paralegal.

I can just see it on the "Fun Facts" portion of Yale's Class Profile:
In our 2020 class we have:
48 Graduate Degrees
4 Rhodes Scholars, 2 Fulbright Research Fellows, and 4 Truman Scholars
8 Teach For America Corps Members
3 Veterans (1 Army, 1 Marine Corps, 1 Marine Corps and Navy)
1 Girl Scout Gold Award and 9 Eagle Scouts
Debate Coach at a Juvenile Correctional Facility
Soloist on Glee
Lead Guitarist in a Rock Band
and

An award winning stripper!


A woman that I know personally (who is now an excellent prosecutor and is extremely intelligent) had a very difficult time getting into the Illinois Bar because of her past as a stripper (came from a broken home, no parental support since she was like, 13, parents abused her - saw it as her only way to make enough money to go to college).

User avatar
laqueredup
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:05 am

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby laqueredup » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:21 pm

.
Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby waldorf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:23 pm

laqueredup wrote:
sjs12 wrote:
laqueredup wrote:
brinicolec wrote:In hindsight, I should've been a stripper for this time off. Surprisingly lucrative career, great full body workout. Anyway, to answer your questions: I'm not really sure how much a law job is going to boost your app. I had that same thought prior to my gap year but ended up just being a bartender because it's a chill job and I make enough. But also, I don't think having a job as like... a paralegal or something... is going to be the thing on your resume that gives you an edge over someone with similar stats. I agree with the person above me, just. do. something. to avoid a gap on your resume. Preferably something enjoyable.


I think stripper would have been a more interesting resume bullet than paralegal.

I can just see it on the "Fun Facts" portion of Yale's Class Profile:
In our 2020 class we have:
48 Graduate Degrees
4 Rhodes Scholars, 2 Fulbright Research Fellows, and 4 Truman Scholars
8 Teach For America Corps Members
3 Veterans (1 Army, 1 Marine Corps, 1 Marine Corps and Navy)
1 Girl Scout Gold Award and 9 Eagle Scouts
Debate Coach at a Juvenile Correctional Facility
Soloist on Glee
Lead Guitarist in a Rock Band
and

An award winning stripper!


A woman that I know personally (who is now an excellent prosecutor and is extremely intelligent) had a very difficult time getting into the Illinois Bar because of her past as a stripper (came from a broken home, no parental support since she was like, 13, parents abused her - saw it as her only way to make enough money to go to college).


Kind of messed up that the Bar cares about that since it is legal employment. I was more just pointing out that some schools seem to value unique applicants, and stripper to law school is probably much less common than paralegal- law school. While that person might have had some rough times in the past, they probably have a more interesting story, a very different perspective, and likely a more tested character.


Oh, absolutely. I totally understood your point - I was just sharing what I thought was kind of a sucky story.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Jobs during year off

Postby brinicolec » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:34 pm

sjs12 wrote:
laqueredup wrote:
brinicolec wrote:In hindsight, I should've been a stripper for this time off. Surprisingly lucrative career, great full body workout. Anyway, to answer your questions: I'm not really sure how much a law job is going to boost your app. I had that same thought prior to my gap year but ended up just being a bartender because it's a chill job and I make enough. But also, I don't think having a job as like... a paralegal or something... is going to be the thing on your resume that gives you an edge over someone with similar stats. I agree with the person above me, just. do. something. to avoid a gap on your resume. Preferably something enjoyable.


I think stripper would have been a more interesting resume bullet than paralegal.

I can just see it on the "Fun Facts" portion of Yale's Class Profile:
In our 2020 class we have:
48 Graduate Degrees
4 Rhodes Scholars, 2 Fulbright Research Fellows, and 4 Truman Scholars
8 Teach For America Corps Members
3 Veterans (1 Army, 1 Marine Corps, 1 Marine Corps and Navy)
1 Girl Scout Gold Award and 9 Eagle Scouts
Debate Coach at a Juvenile Correctional Facility
Soloist on Glee
Lead Guitarist in a Rock Band
and

An award winning stripper!


A woman that I know personally (who is now an excellent prosecutor and is extremely intelligent) had a very difficult time getting into the Illinois Bar because of her past as a stripper (came from a broken home, no parental support since she was like, 13, parents abused her - saw it as her only way to make enough money to go to college).


That's crappy. Like, who cares? It's not like she did something illegal by poppin' it on the pole!




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests