How hard is it to get employed after graduating from a T14, as an international?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BlueBirdFlies

How hard is it to get employed after graduating from a T14, as an international?

Postby BlueBirdFlies » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:37 pm

I'm an international student, earning a degree from an American uni. I'm planning to apply to the T14 law schools, but I wanted to know what the employment stats are for internationals specifically? As far as I'm aware, my F-1 visa will have to be converted into an H1-B, which the company will need to sponsor. Do big firms typically sponsor internationals from the top schools?

galeatus

Re: How hard is it to get employed after graduating from a T14, as an international?

Postby galeatus » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:47 pm

BlueBirdFlies wrote:I'm an international student, earning a degree from an American uni. I'm planning to apply to the T14 law schools, but I wanted to know what the employment stats are for internationals specifically? As far as I'm aware, my F-1 visa will have to be converted into an H1-B, which the company will need to sponsor. Do big firms typically sponsor internationals from the top schools?

In short, yes. You will encounter more difficulties compared to the US citizens in OCI as there are a fair few firms out there who can't really be bothered to sponsor H1Bs, but as long as you have good grades and a likable personality (or at least are good at interviews) then you should still find good firms who are willing to sponsor your H1B and maybe even a green-card app a few years down the line.

I don't think exact employment stats are available but would be happy to be proved wrong.

(In the same boat as OP and did a little bit of research here and there, hoping that somebody with more authority on this issue can answer this in a better way)

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Re: How hard is it to get employed after graduating from a T14, as an international?

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:37 am

My Q&A with a recent international grad from GW Law. He had an international undergrad. However, in the Trump and Sessions rule, not sure how the H1B visa rules would change.

" Q- Since the OPT is only a one year thing for lawyers, it might be impossible to pay back loans if I run out of luck in the H1B lottery. Are law firms or large corporates willing to send internationals like us to offices outside of the country (Canada/Singapore/Europe) for a year or two in case we lose out on the H1B lottery?

A- I do not know about large corporates because influential in-house jobs are difficult to come by immediately after graduation. Regarding firms, I know that some firms have shown willingness to send lawyers abroad for a year while their visa issues are sorted out and others who have just cut them loose. So it depends on the firm and how badly they would like to retain the affected lawyer. In fact, many top firms do not hire lawyers requiring visas in the first place to avoid such uncertainty."

So the answer is that it remains a gamble firstly because H1B is a lottery and secondly because not all firms would be keen enough to recruit you to go through the H1B hassles amidst all the uncertainty. Same boat as OP.

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:02 am

Gonna have to wait and see what H1B Visas look like after Trump's inauguration. It was a defined point of his plan that he was going to overhaul them. It was on his website from like day 1. Whether or not he does is another thing.

Return to “Law School FAQ”