Which are the friendliest law schools?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cantyoloforever
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby cantyoloforever » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:32 pm

zeglo wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:
zeglo wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Vursz wrote:At Yale, some students take notes on dumb things their classmates said in con law class, with the intent of using the comments against them at potential confirmation hearings on the future.

I wish I was making this up.

I'll allow this story, but only if you don't go to Yale


Holy crap they sound like buttholes.

Also, most of the T14 seem pretty friendly except for maybe Harvard.

1. I'd like to hear more about Yale being buttholes.
2. Why is Harvard considered unfriendly?


Harvard people are generally super friendly. Sometimes aggressively so. Of course there is a group of awfuls, but that's life.


1. Based on that story. I will now group all of them that way via laws of the Internet.
2. It just seems like a giant group of extremely ambitious people. Seems like people would be nice but not necessarily helpful unless it benefits them.

Wouldn't that be applicable to Stanford and Yale as well, or really any high ranking law school?

bns212
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:05 am

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby bns212 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:39 pm

So it seems that the higher ranked schools tend to be less cutthroat (that's a surprise to me), and law school in general isn't as cutthroat as I've been reading. This makes me feel a lot better about the process. But can someone elaborate a little on what kinds of competition/examples of cutthroat behavior/aggression I can expect at any school?

BigZuck
Posts: 11720
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby BigZuck » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:43 pm

bns212 wrote:So it seems that the higher ranked schools tend to be less cutthroat (that's a surprise to me), and law school in general isn't as cutthroat as I've been reading. This makes me feel a lot better about the process. But can someone elaborate a little on what kinds of competition/examples of cutthroat behavior/aggression I can expect at any school?

You know how sometimes in life you meet people that just kind of suck/are mean/are weird? It's like that.

No one is going to steal your laptop so you don't have your notes or whatever. It's a non-issue. Sure, I'd steer clear of Harvard, Michigan, etc. if you can help it. But not because of competitiveness/cutthroatness or whatever you want to call it.

curry1
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby curry1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:48 pm

BigZuck wrote:
bns212 wrote:So it seems that the higher ranked schools tend to be less cutthroat (that's a surprise to me), and law school in general isn't as cutthroat as I've been reading. This makes me feel a lot better about the process. But can someone elaborate a little on what kinds of competition/examples of cutthroat behavior/aggression I can expect at any school?

You know how sometimes in life you meet people that just kind of suck/are mean/are weird? It's like that.

No one is going to steal your laptop so you don't have your notes or whatever. It's a non-issue. Sure, I'd steer clear of Harvard, Michigan, etc. if you can help it. But not because of competitiveness/cutthroatness or whatever you want to call it.


Why those schools in particular?

BigZuck
Posts: 11720
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby BigZuck » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:07 pm

curry1 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
bns212 wrote:So it seems that the higher ranked schools tend to be less cutthroat (that's a surprise to me), and law school in general isn't as cutthroat as I've been reading. This makes me feel a lot better about the process. But can someone elaborate a little on what kinds of competition/examples of cutthroat behavior/aggression I can expect at any school?

You know how sometimes in life you meet people that just kind of suck/are mean/are weird? It's like that.

No one is going to steal your laptop so you don't have your notes or whatever. It's a non-issue. Sure, I'd steer clear of Harvard, Michigan, etc. if you can help it. But not because of competitiveness/cutthroatness or whatever you want to call it.


Why those schools in particular?

LOL. I always thought you were a Michigan Man. We'll go ahead and add you to the list.

dabigchina
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby dabigchina » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:LOL. I always thought you were a Michigan Man. We'll go ahead and add you to the list.


I don't get this schtick

curry1
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby curry1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:10 pm

BigZuck wrote:
curry1 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
bns212 wrote:So it seems that the higher ranked schools tend to be less cutthroat (that's a surprise to me), and law school in general isn't as cutthroat as I've been reading. This makes me feel a lot better about the process. But can someone elaborate a little on what kinds of competition/examples of cutthroat behavior/aggression I can expect at any school?

You know how sometimes in life you meet people that just kind of suck/are mean/are weird? It's like that.

No one is going to steal your laptop so you don't have your notes or whatever. It's a non-issue. Sure, I'd steer clear of Harvard, Michigan, etc. if you can help it. But not because of competitiveness/cutthroatness or whatever you want to call it.


Why those schools in particular?

LOL. I always thought you were a Michigan Man. We'll go ahead and add you to the list.



I'm not a 'Michigan Man,' just interested to hear you flesh out your thoughts on the subject of this thread.

BigZuck
Posts: 11720
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby BigZuck » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:18 pm

curry1 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
curry1 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
bns212 wrote:So it seems that the higher ranked schools tend to be less cutthroat (that's a surprise to me), and law school in general isn't as cutthroat as I've been reading. This makes me feel a lot better about the process. But can someone elaborate a little on what kinds of competition/examples of cutthroat behavior/aggression I can expect at any school?

You know how sometimes in life you meet people that just kind of suck/are mean/are weird? It's like that.

No one is going to steal your laptop so you don't have your notes or whatever. It's a non-issue. Sure, I'd steer clear of Harvard, Michigan, etc. if you can help it. But not because of competitiveness/cutthroatness or whatever you want to call it.


Why those schools in particular?

LOL. I always thought you were a Michigan Man. We'll go ahead and add you to the list.


I'm not a 'Michigan Man,' just interested to hear you flesh out your thoughts on the subject of this thread.

I already did, also thread was over when Sublime dropped his truth bomb all over this thread

dabigchina wrote:
BigZuck wrote:LOL. I always thought you were a Michigan Man. We'll go ahead and add you to the list.


I don't get this schtick

Read some posts authored by Michigan students and it'll quickly start making sense

cantyoloforever
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby cantyoloforever » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:49 pm

BigZuck is having fun at the expense of 0Ls (I think)

mcmand
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby mcmand » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:20 am

bns212 wrote:I'm reading about horrible law school experiences like being berated by professors, excessively competitive classmates, and worse.

I can handle cold-calling, I've dealt with intense classmates and competitive types who don't mind stepping on you to get ahead, but I don't particularly enjoy it. I'm sure I'll deal with tough professors and classmates at any school. Having said that, are all law schools like this? Are there 'friendlier' schools?


My classmates and I share outlines with each other on request and are generally collaborative and willing to work to lift all boats. There is a small handful of people who I think bring a bit of excess competitiveness and let that inform even their social relationships, but other than those tarts, I've generally found camaraderie with my classmates.

Whether that extends to the profession or your future workplace after graduation is anyone's guess. There are assholes everywhere, and I think the legal profession sometimes substitutes someone's abilities as a lawyer in for other important skills when promoting people and giving them leadership roles. That person then becomes that asshole partner or senior associate or other person in charge of you and messing up your life because they have no managerial/people/leadership skills, and those skills don't have obvious short-term value to the bottom line and thus aren't major criteria in determining who is in charge.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2124
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby t-14orbust » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:24 am

Dcc617 wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:
zeglo wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Vursz wrote:At Yale, some students take notes on dumb things their classmates said in con law class, with the intent of using the comments against them at potential confirmation hearings on the future.

I wish I was making this up.

I'll allow this story, but only if you don't go to Yale


Holy crap they sound like buttholes.

Also, most of the T14 seem pretty friendly except for maybe Harvard.

1. I'd like to hear more about Yale being buttholes.
2. Why is Harvard considered unfriendly?


Harvard people are generally super friendly. Sometimes aggressively so. Of course there is a group of awfuls, but that's life.


Can confirm

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2124
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby t-14orbust » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:26 am

zeglo wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:
zeglo wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Vursz wrote:At Yale, some students take notes on dumb things their classmates said in con law class, with the intent of using the comments against them at potential confirmation hearings on the future.

I wish I was making this up.

I'll allow this story, but only if you don't go to Yale


Holy crap they sound like buttholes.

Also, most of the T14 seem pretty friendly except for maybe Harvard.

1. I'd like to hear more about Yale being buttholes.
2. Why is Harvard considered unfriendly?


Harvard people are generally super friendly. Sometimes aggressively so. Of course there is a group of awfuls, but that's life.


1. Based on that story. I will now group all of them that way via laws of the Internet.
2. It just seems like a giant group of extremely ambitious people. Seems like people would be nice but not necessarily helpful unless it benefits them.


Being nice to their classmates does benefit them in regards to future networking prospects

User avatar
lymenheimer
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby lymenheimer » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:47 pm

cantyoloforever wrote:BigZuck is having fun at the expense of 0Ls (I think) I applied to M and am offended at what BZ said.

Ftfy

BigZuck
Posts: 11720
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:05 pm

cantyoloforever wrote:BigZuck is having fun at the expense of 0Ls (I think)

I mean, yeah.

But no, really.

User avatar
texasellewoods
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:29 am

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby texasellewoods » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:09 pm

Harvard is a super friendly place, my section is great and really supportive!! Everyone is willing to share notes and genuinely wants section mates do well - we all care about/like each other. I haven't heard about any crazy competitiveness going on, and its 1L exam week - if it doesn't happen now I doubt it ever will haha.

cantyoloforever
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby cantyoloforever » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:50 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:BigZuck is having fun at the expense of 0Ls (I think) I applied to M and am offended at what BZ said.

Ftfy

Haha, I am not offended whatsoever

User avatar
Kummel
Posts: 3461
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby Kummel » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:28 pm

shineoncrazydiamond wrote:Feel free to PM me, but Michigan 1L here, and I find it quite friendly/collegial overall. There are always a few assholes pretty much everywhere you go and Michigan isn't immune but my section and most other people I have met seem quite nice and helpful. People share outlines and stuff like that pretty readily.


Definitely a Michigan student

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 7082
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby First Offense » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:16 am

BigZuck wrote:
curry1 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
curry1 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
bns212 wrote:So it seems that the higher ranked schools tend to be less cutthroat (that's a surprise to me), and law school in general isn't as cutthroat as I've been reading. This makes me feel a lot better about the process. But can someone elaborate a little on what kinds of competition/examples of cutthroat behavior/aggression I can expect at any school?

You know how sometimes in life you meet people that just kind of suck/are mean/are weird? It's like that.

No one is going to steal your laptop so you don't have your notes or whatever. It's a non-issue. Sure, I'd steer clear of Harvard, Michigan, etc. if you can help it. But not because of competitiveness/cutthroatness or whatever you want to call it.


Why those schools in particular?

LOL. I always thought you were a Michigan Man. We'll go ahead and add you to the list.


I'm not a 'Michigan Man,' just interested to hear you flesh out your thoughts on the subject of this thread.

I already did, also thread was over when Sublime dropped his truth bomb all over this thread

dabigchina wrote:
BigZuck wrote:LOL. I always thought you were a Michigan Man. We'll go ahead and add you to the list.


I don't get this schtick

Read some posts authored by Michigan students and it'll quickly start making sense

Wasn't there a ton of Michigan drama around OCI a couple of years ago? People erasing names from interview lists or something?

Rubbishdump
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Which are the friendliest law schools?

Postby Rubbishdump » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:50 am

First Offense wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
curry1 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
curry1 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
bns212 wrote:So it seems that the higher ranked schools tend to be less cutthroat (that's a surprise to me), and law school in general isn't as cutthroat as I've been reading. This makes me feel a lot better about the process. But can someone elaborate a little on what kinds of competition/examples of cutthroat behavior/aggression I can expect at any school?

You know how sometimes in life you meet people that just kind of suck/are mean/are weird? It's like that.

No one is going to steal your laptop so you don't have your notes or whatever. It's a non-issue. Sure, I'd steer clear of Harvard, Michigan, etc. if you can help it. But not because of competitiveness/cutthroatness or whatever you want to call it.


Why those schools in particular?

LOL. I always thought you were a Michigan Man. We'll go ahead and add you to the list.


I'm not a 'Michigan Man,' just interested to hear you flesh out your thoughts on the subject of this thread.

I already did, also thread was over when Sublime dropped his truth bomb all over this thread

dabigchina wrote:
BigZuck wrote:LOL. I always thought you were a Michigan Man. We'll go ahead and add you to the list.


I don't get this schtick

Read some posts authored by Michigan students and it'll quickly start making sense

Wasn't there a ton of Michigan drama around OCI a couple of years ago? People erasing names from interview lists or something?

WTF




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests