Best WE for "gap year"?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
MisterT

Best WE for "gap year"?

Postby MisterT » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi everyone!

Haven't posted on here since last cycle, but decided to get back in the game :) Skip to the bottom if you don't care to read the full story*.

Bascially I bombed last cycle, a combination of my Swiss undergraduate degree "not being equivalent to a US undergraduate degree" (LSACs lovely words), and applying right before deadlines, I got waitlisted at every school in the T14 (except rejects from HLS).

Some schools told me I was flat out ineligible to apply given the nature of my undergrad degree, and that I should take another year of school, e.g. a Masters, to be able to apply. So this is what I am currently doing. Unfortunately on paper term dates of my M.Sc. and a J.D. clash, although at the start of a J.D. all I would actually be doing is waiting around to get my Master's degree handed to me.

Now it seems schools are again giving me mixed signals due to me receiving my Master's degree a few weeks after class begins next fall. For example, Berkeley said "no probs, as long as you aren't required to attend classes at the same time and you are just waiting on graduation you can enroll", and Yale told me in the nicest way possible to get stuffed. Haven't got in touch with everyone yet, but it looks like this year will be another one spent on the fence with admissions committees :| .

*So if I can't get into a great (any) school this cycle, given that I need to slowly start looking for a graduate job starting next summer/fall, what would be the best work experience I could get for 1/2 years before reapplying to law school that would help me develop the skills needed to be competitive in the job market post-JD (looking to spend a few years in biglaw)? What have you guys found most helpful? Or does it really not matter? 8)

I will relocate to the US for work.

If it helps, here are my qualifications:

B.A. Political Science (University of Zurich)
M.Sc. International Political Economy (London School of Economics) - currently enrolled.
LSAT 174 if it counts for anything.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Rubbishdump

Re: Best WE for "gap year"?

Postby Rubbishdump » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Is this a troll thread?

Monday

Postby Monday » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:38 pm

Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MisterT

Postby MisterT » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:43 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:Is this a troll thread?

why do you say that?

MisterT

Postby MisterT » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Monday wrote:
MisterT wrote:I will relocate to the US for work.

If it helps, here are my qualifications:

B.A. Political Science (University of Zurich)
M.Sc. International Political Economy (London School of Economics)

Do you have U.S. employment authorization or will you require a work visa? If the latter...

I'm a U.S. citizen

Rubbishdump

Postby Rubbishdump » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:46 pm

MisterT wrote:

why do you say that?

Unless you received terrible marks, I don't know why you didn't get any offers last cycle.

edit: if you go to London School of Economics just keep that up and ditch law school.

MisterT

Postby MisterT » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:
MisterT wrote:

why do you say that?

Unless you received terrible marks, I don't know why you didn't get any offers last cycle.

edit: if you go to London School of Economics just keep that up and ditch law school.

If I knew the answer to that puzzle.. but it is what it is. Grades were decent (ca. top 10%)..

And yeah, the LSE isn't the magic ticket to a decent paying job that everyone thinks, especially if you are lacking in "brand name" internships like me. And have you seen graduate salaries in the UK?

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:57 pm

MisterT wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
MisterT wrote:

why do you say that?

If I knew the answer to that puzzle.. but it is what it is. Grades were decent (ca. top 10%)..

And yeah, the LSE isn't the magic ticket to a decent paying job that everyone thinks, especially if you are lacking in "brand name" internships like me. And have you seen graduate salaries in the UK?

I doubt how employable you are in the U.S. Try spinning that "international political" dimension into some fellowship or thinktank RA gig? Otherwise, enjoy paralegal-ing.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:
MisterT wrote:

why do you say that?

I guess you missed the "not equivalent to a US undergrad degree/Bachelors."

galeatus

Postby galeatus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:01 pm

MisterT wrote:Some schools told me I was flat out ineligible to apply given the nature of my undergrad degree, and that I should take another year of school, e.g. a Masters, to be able to apply. So this is what I am currently doing. Unfortunately on paper term dates of my M.Sc. and a J.D. clash, although at the start of a J.D. all I would actually be doing is waiting around to get my Master's degree handed to me.

That sounds like an absolute nightmare of a cycle :shock:, sorry to hear that, especially considering your credentials which are frankly pretty amazing. I am also quite intrigued as to what's the reasoning behind LSAC saying that a Swiss undergrad is not an adequate equivalent of a US undergrad, cos I know people who only did three-year BA/BSc/LLBs in England and their degree were still certified as equivalent to a US undergrad degree.

As for the question itself, I think the most obvious one is to find a job as a paralegal in London, and there should also be some very interesting PI openings in London as well if you want to go down that route - I'm assuming you are a Swiss national so you will be able to work in the UK without visas/permits. Government work in your home country would also look great on your CV. I don't think it's worth it trying to find opportunities in the US considering 1)all the hassle with work permits etc. 2)London already has an amazing legal market

(edit: Ah you're a US citizen so any work in the legal/gov't field back in the US would do tbf, I'm sure you can find something interesting with your background)

Rubbishdump

Postby Rubbishdump » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:02 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
MisterT wrote:

why do you say that?

I saw that, and I'm confused. I know they translate international grades differently for the LSAC GPA but I don't know why it wouldn't transfer at all.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:05 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
MisterT wrote:

why do you say that?

I saw that, and I'm confused. I know they translate international grades differently for the LSAC GPA but I don't know why it wouldn't transfer at all.

Its not that it doesnt transfer. Its that it isnt equivalent to a US degree.

Return to “Law School FAQ”