Residency Attempts Go Wrong --> C&F Issue?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
HennessyVSOP

Residency Attempts Go Wrong --> C&F Issue?

Postby HennessyVSOP » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:21 pm

Last edited by HennessyVSOP on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobBoblaw

Re: Residency Attempts Go Wrong --> C&F Issue?

Postby BobBoblaw » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:06 am

Check with the school in question, I think often different schools define state residency in different ways, usually how they define it is up to the regents/board at that particular school.

blueapple

Postby blueapple » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:09 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:So I've been in NYC for over a year now - however, I was born and raised another state with notoriously hard to attain residency (think crabs and Dru Hill and The Wire), and lived there immediately prior to moving here, throughout most of 2015.

I'm registered for armed services / car registration / licence / parents are all in home state.
I work here, I pay taxes here, I am financially independent, etc.

I want to make an attempt at obtaining residence there for tuition reduction;

1. if i've lived in an entirely different state throughout 2016 (and will continue to do so til summer 2017) is there any chance my residency will pass?
  2. if my law school applications reject my residency, will this be a c&f issue for the bar?

1. I was able to get residency in a state I didn't live in and had never lived in except for occasional summers, but that my parents lived in. Note: I did have to submit a bunch of extra paperwork. Sounds like you're talking about Maryland given your extremely subtle hints, so it just depends on what Maryland's residency rules are.
2. No.

CMac86

Postby CMac86 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:01 am

HennessyVSOP wrote:So I've been in NYC for over a year now - however, I was born and raised another state with notoriously hard to attain residency (think crabs and Dru Hill and The Wire), and lived there immediately prior to moving here, throughout most of 2015.

I'm registered for armed services / car registration / licence / parents are all in home state.
I work here, I pay taxes here, I am financially independent, etc.

I want to make an attempt at obtaining residence there for tuition reduction;

1. if i've lived in an entirely different state throughout 2016 (and will continue to do so til summer 2017) is there any chance my residency will pass?
  2. if my law school applications reject my residency, will this be a c&f issue for the bar?

Are you trying to get NY residence or in your home state?

If by "armed services", you are on active duty and serving in NY, your home of record/residence, could be your home state. E.g., I'm on active duty stationed outside of my home state, but I'm still considered an IL resident for taxes, my car, and school. If you're in the military, I'd call the school and ask. If you're not, I don't have any idea. Sorry.

Return to “Law School FAQ”