Will not going to law school before hurt my chances now?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
MtnGinger

Will not going to law school before hurt my chances now?

Postby MtnGinger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:35 pm

I always thought I'd go to law school cause my family wanted me to be a dr but I hate anything biology so I figured a lawyer would be the next best thing. Jr. year of college I took the LSAT and did well. I got into a few t14 and eventually decided on t15 because of a great scholarship. Admittedly at that point I was going to law school for the wrong reasons.

I ended up deferring for reasons but then the next year when I came time to go I just withdrew because of all the lawyers and judges I knew who kept telling me not to go. I've been working full time since undergrad in my field. I'm now a CPA and after taking time off I still can't shake the idea of law school. I now have a very focused idea of what I want to do and have identified 4 schools that would give me as close to certain chance of achieving these goals as possible. I'm wondering if I apply next year to only these schools ( I only applied to 1 of them the first time) will my previous withdraw hurt me. Also do I put it as a withdraw or not because I withdrew before classes began.

cavalier1138

Re: Will not going to law school before hurt my chances now?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:53 pm

You cannot say that you have a very focused idea of what you want to do and then not say what that idea is.

At least it seems like you aren't going to law school to avoid going to med school, but you need to be specific about what your goals are and where you're applying. And I doubt UT (there's no such thing as T15, just use the name) is going to hold your withdrawal against you. I also wouldn't apply to only four schools, because there's no benefit to that, even if you think you know exactly what field you want to practice in.

MtnGinger

Postby MtnGinger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:24 pm

I want to go fed clerkship or get in one of the government honor programs. I'm not reapplying to UT and I'm only targeting 4 schools because I have a great job with lots of growth potential and I will only give that up if I know I have the best shot of getting a clerkship or gov position. And I have a family so I am semi location confined. I'm gonna retake LSAT and only apply if I hit 172+ which I was PTing at before I gave up. I'm targeting Harvard (reach), UPenn, UVA and possibly Uchi or Mich if I could get the Darrow.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:42 pm

Apply to all so you can negotiate

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:43 pm

But if you have a great job just don't go.

MtnGinger

Postby MtnGinger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:48 pm

landshoes wrote:But if you have a great job just don't go.

Hate my job, but it makes money and has plenty of mobility and options with more experience. I'm not gonna give up this security for nothing but I will give it up for a good chance to do what I want. I'm not delusional I know law will suck too but it's something I've always wanted and I see myself happier overall with a legal job at the SEC or DOD than staying in corp tax.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Ok apply everywhere then

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:17 pm

Ok, so your goal is government (clerkship is a short-term goal, and all the T14 schools give you a good shot at it).

You need to apply more broadly, and you need to have a better idea of your potential career track than just the honors program. The honors program is highly selective, and the popular departments (i.e. the SEC) only take the best students, even at top schools. It's very hard to get right out of school, so most people end up going to work in biglaw and lateraling after they've been an associate/clerk for a few years.

But for sure apply more broadly. At worst, you get more scholarship negotiation power.

Return to “Law School FAQ”