Arrest Record Addendum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
newt3340

Arrest Record Addendum

Postby newt3340 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:16 am

In 2011 I was arrested for domestic violence assault I was dating a bipolar woman and one night she was upset and came at me. I took every step a reasonable person would. First ignoring the problem which increased her anger then attempting to leave followed by calling the police myself during the phone call i receivef a punch to the face. Afterwards I decided I had to leave. So I unlocked the door when she followed I grab the arm she was attempting to hit me with pulled it behind her back dragged her into the living room and ran for the door. The next morning I had a call from the local police station to stop by and make a statement. Told the same thing and was arrested. She had a bruise on her wrist and I was bleeding from torso arms and back. Personally I think authorities took the easy way out arresting the man. I think there was no other way anyone could have acted differently.Now where does that leave me for school

guynourmin

Re: Arrest Record Addendum

Postby guynourmin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:42 am

Disclose, obviously. You were arrested, fine, but you aren't telling us the whole story: what were you charged with, what was the final disposition, etc?

newt3340

Postby newt3340 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Charged with assault. Defered sentence took some class then had the option to expunge record. Does the addendum need to be simply the facts

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:50 pm

newt3340 wrote:Charged with assault. Defered sentence took some class then had the option to expunge record. Does the addendum need to be simply the facts

I would leave out the bit about them arresting you because you are a man. But otherwise you can say you don't agree with it at all and such... but don't play the man card.

HonestAdvice

Postby HonestAdvice » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:21 pm

Do you have evidence to support your side of the story? The reason I ask is because when you go through Character and Fitness, they're going to review this thoroughly. It's also highly subjective so if the reviewer does not believe you, you can be in big doo-doo. This is also not the sort of thing likely to delay you too much if it's your only disciplinary history.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:08 am

Yeah, tread carefully with the editorializing in your addendum. You don't want to come off as a men's rights activist (or whatever those guys call themselves these days), which means you don't want your addendum to read like your post here.

newt3340

Postby newt3340 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:01 pm

So just the facts and then have someone edit it to remove my bias. Any other advice?

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:36 pm

newt3340 wrote:So just the facts and then have someone edit it to remove my bias. Any other advice?

In general, these should be a brief, "Here's what I was charged with, and I'm very sorry, it will never happen again. No prior bad behavior, etc. etc." And I would also add that no one should have to edit it to remove bias, because you should be capable of writing this without sounding morally reprehensible.

This is going to be a more difficult charge than I think people are letting on here. Domestic violence is a sensitive issue, and if it sounds like you aren't taking responsibility or aren't repentant, it's not going to play well.

Return to “Law School FAQ”