Studying Abroad - is it worth a potential B?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ForumCommissar

Studying Abroad - is it worth a potential B?

Postby ForumCommissar » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:13 am

I need to make sure my GPA is at the top of its fucking game. However, I am also attending UG at full scholarship and can do study abroad with no strings attached.

I know the grading system in other countries is different. Right now, I am looking at the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand, all English speaking countries.

It's the only time I could have a real foreign experience. Would it be worth it, and would there be a chance I would get a B when, otherwise, I would have gotten an A in the US?

sweets91

Re: Studying Abroad - is it worth a potential B?

Postby sweets91 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:25 am

ForumCommissar wrote:I need to make sure my GPA is at the top of its fucking game. However, I am also attending UG at full scholarship and can do study abroad with no strings attached.

I know the grading system in other countries is different. Right now, I am looking at the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand, all English speaking countries.

It's the only time I could have a real foreign experience. Would it be worth it, and would there be a chance I would get a B when, otherwise, I would have gotten an A in the US?

In my experience, classes are abroad are jokes.You go for the experience, so your classes should be easy A's

ForumCommissar

Postby ForumCommissar » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:40 am

sweets91 wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:I need to make sure my GPA is at the top of its fucking game. However, I am also attending UG at full scholarship and can do study abroad with no strings attached.

In my experience, classes are abroad are jokes.You go for the experience, so your classes should be easy A's

Sweet. I'd only be going for the experience and easy A so that will be great.

BobBoblaw

Postby BobBoblaw » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:58 am

Also, if your credits are earned through a foreign school (I.e. If you end up with a transcript from any of the countries you mentioned) then those grades will NOT be taken into account by LSAC in calculating your GPA. They WILL be counted if the grades appear on your home school (US) transcript.

That said, it's intentional experience, and you are in undergrad. Do it. Now's the time to get out there and broaden your horizons!

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:31 am

BobBoblaw wrote:Also, if your credits are earned through a foreign school (I.e. If you end up with a transcript from any of the countries you mentioned) then those grades will NOT be taken into account by LSAC in calculating your GPA. They WILL be counted if the grades appear on your home school (US) transcript.

That said, it's intentional experience, and you are in undergrad. Do it. Now's the time to get out there and broaden your horizons!

Just a small caveat to that:

Even if your grades don't appear on your main undergraduate transcript, they may be through another American institution. If you're getting credit for the study abroad program, then they're accredited through an American university. If you don't have the grades/credits transferred onto your primary school transcript, LSAC will want to see the transcript from the accrediting institution.

But like everyone else said, I've never heard of a study abroad program actually handing out B grades.

RamTitan

Postby RamTitan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:38 am

Study abroad programs are pretty easy (typically), but even if they weren't, I would still strongly advise you to go somewhere because it is an awesome experience

clueless801

Postby clueless801 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:16 pm

My study abroad program gave out A+s so I was super psyched when I saw those show up on my official transcript. General consensus is that faculty are very aware that you're there for the experience and to travel, so you might find the workload significantly less challenging than normal. But do take it seriously! It'll pay off if you respect study abroad classes the same as you would your regular undergrad classes.

poptart123

Postby poptart123 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Do it. You'll gladly look back at it for the rest of your life.

HYPSM

Postby HYPSM » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:32 pm

Last edited by HYPSM on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nunumaster

Postby nunumaster » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:45 pm

HYPSM wrote:

I'm guessing this is through Macaulay; if so, the grades might not even count depending on the particular program, so go ahead.

Also, take heed of the advice you received in your other thread ("Chances at HYS" - lawfromday1). Focus on getting a very high LSAT score. It's gonna be hard with a 3.7, so shoot for 3.8+.

Yea if you're in Macaulay you better take advantage of the study abroad bro. My grades didn't even count for LSAC.

Smc1994

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Last edited by Smc1994 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nunumaster

Postby nunumaster » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Smc1994 wrote:

Through a wonderful, and odd, exchange program at my liberal arts college, I enjoyed the opportunity to study at one of France's best business school during my Junior year. In addition to taking MBA courses that satisfied theoretical and quantitative economics credits at my college, I also took advantage of the institution's intensive course structure-- Monday-Thursday, one class from 8A.M.-1:30P.M., with a single exam on Friday-- to get whole weeks off to travel around Europe. I made lifelong friends, and highly recommend that you try it.

There is a caveat; my college required that grades translate onto our 4.0 scale, while, every other student only needed to pass-- class rank only mattered for Erasmus opportunities. For classes that required group work, this introduced a great deal of moral hazard when I was unable to choose group members. In these instances, I did the majority of the work. That said, after completing, and memorizing, our rural healthcare presentation, I spent two hours superimposing the powerpoint onto very jingoistic American images -- from a bald eagle superimposed over an American flag, to Uncle Sam uppercutting Hitler, and even Ronald Reagan's face superimposed over a US battleship -- and changing each individual letter on every slide to a repeating red white and blue pattern. Despite my advice, my group members declined to review the presentation prior to the actual class, and had to struggle to read off of the powerpoint until I stepped in to give the remainder of the presentation from memory. The professor, a visitor from a Canadian business school, appreciated the symbolic gesture, if not my adherence to stereotypes about Americans, and I earned the highest grade in the class. Be prepared to work if your school, or program, converts onto a letter scale. Still, unless you go to Germany, the Europeans have a sense of humor, and there are plenty of opportunities to make the work more fun.

you sound really fun.

Smc1994

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:26 pm

nunumaster wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:

Through a wonderful, and odd, exchange program at my liberal arts college, I enjoyed the opportunity to study at one of France's best business school during my Junior year. In addition to taking MBA courses that satisfied theoretical and quantitative economics credits at my college, I also took advantage of the institution's intensive course structure-- Monday-Thursday, one class from 8A.M.-1:30P.M., with a single exam on Friday-- to get whole weeks off to travel around Europe. I made lifelong friends, and highly recommend that you try it.

There is a caveat; my college required that grades translate onto our 4.0 scale, while, every other student only needed to pass-- class rank only mattered for Erasmus opportunities. For classes that required group work, this introduced a great deal of moral hazard when I was unable to choose group members. In these instances, I did the majority of the work. That said, after completing, and memorizing, our rural healthcare presentation, I spent two hours superimposing the powerpoint onto very jingoistic American images -- from a bald eagle superimposed over an American flag, to Uncle Sam uppercutting Hitler, and even Ronald Reagan's face superimposed over a US battleship -- and changing each individual letter on every slide to a repeating red white and blue pattern. Despite my advice, my group members declined to review the presentation prior to the actual class, and had to struggle to read off of the powerpoint until I stepped in to give the remainder of the presentation from memory. The professor, a visitor from a Canadian business school, appreciated the symbolic gesture, if not my adherence to stereotypes about Americans, and I earned the highest grade in the class. Be prepared to work if your school, or program, converts onto a letter scale. Still, unless you go to Germany, the Europeans have a sense of humor, and there are plenty of opportunities to make the work more fun.

you sound really fun.

Touche. I didn't think I could make the point with an anecdote about my experience playing on one of the school's competitive drinking teams.

HYPSM

Postby HYPSM » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
nunumaster wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:

you sound really fun.

Touche. I didn't think I could make the point with an anecdote about my experience playing on one of the school's competitive drinking teams.

*intrigued* Go on...

Smc1994

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:25 pm

HYPSM wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
nunumaster wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:

you sound really fun.

*intrigued* Go on...

Well, it all started with 2 euro kronenburgs at Le Rendevouz in Lille...

Return to “Law School FAQ”