Is the market improving?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Aldo_Raine

Is the market improving?

Postby Aldo_Raine » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:40 am

Currently a sophomore in undergrad. I'm considering law school, but I am obviously hesitant due to the poor job prospects. Is the market improving and will it be considered a good investment to attend a non-T14 anytime soon?

acr

Re: Is the market improving?

Postby acr » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:43 am

It can be logical to attend a non T-14 even in a bad market. For example, if you are from Minneapolis originally, want to work in Minnesota for the rest of your life, don't have aspirations of big law, and receive a full scholarship, then Minnesota Law is a fantastic option.

To answer the question, it looks like the market is improving gradually, but it isn't at the point where it was before the crash

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:43 am

Not really. But if you're only a sophomore in undergrad then why are you talking about not going to a T14? You have unlimited options at this point if you work hard to get the numbers.

abl

Postby abl » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:44 pm

1. The market is improving.
2. It can sometimes be a good financial decision to go to a non-T14--even now. That is going to entirely depend on your total COA, your financial circumstances (including family resources), and your goals.
3. The market is not currently improving quickly enough that it will nearly always be a good financial decision to attend a non-T14 without substantial financial aid by the time that you're in the position to consider the option.

Toni V

Postby Toni V » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:25 pm

I think it’s better than ever, given that you walk out of law school into a $180k paycheck and a sweet bonus. The trick is to have good stats to lessen tuition debt … tuition cost is as bad (or worse) than it’s ever been.

theconsigliere

Postby theconsigliere » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:48 pm

Toni V wrote:I think it’s better than ever, given that you walk out of law school into a $180k paycheck and a sweet bonus. The trick is to have good stats to lessen tuition debt … tuition cost is as bad (or worse) than it’s ever been.

Horrible trolling

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:09 pm

theconsigliere wrote:
Toni V wrote:I think it’s better than ever, given that you walk out of law school into a $180k paycheck and a sweet bonus. The trick is to have good stats to lessen tuition debt … tuition cost is as bad (or worse) than it’s ever been.

Horrible trolling

lol I wouldn't go so far as to say he's trolling, but it's true that ToniV is being overly optimistic.

OP - listen to the other posters. Yes, the market is improving, but make sure law school is what you want before you dive in.

theconsigliere

Postby theconsigliere » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:16 pm

ek5dn wrote:lol I wouldn't go so far as to say he's trolling, but it's true that ToniV is being overly optimistic.

OP - listen to the other posters. Yes, the market is improving, but make sure law school is what you want before you dive in.

The important thing is that if you go to a T1 that's non-T14 you're looking at somewhere between a die roll's odds and a coin flip's odds at big law or clerkship (which can lead to big law).

Return to “Law School FAQ”