Take a Curved Class with Part-Time Students for Better Grade Distributions Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
goodman1

New

Take a Curved Class with Part-Time Students for Better Grade Distributions

Post by goodman1 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:05 pm

Hello,

I am a transfer student at a new law school. I am coming in with 30 1L credits which will be awarded to me. However, there is a 1L class that I did not take at my old law school which is generally accepted as a 1L class for all law schools (con law). I have to take con law either this semester (Fall 2016) or Spring (2017) in order to graduate.

At the new law school it is a 4 credit hour class offered the second semester (Spring of academic year) to incoming 1Ls. However, part-time students take it the next academic year after their incoming year in the fall (Fall 2016). Thus, I have the option to take con law now with the part-time students or next year with actual 1Ls.

There is only one class for con law now for the part-time students. I bet with 1L's next year it's going to be more than one class and section, so there will be a stronger curve. We usually admit 230 1L's a year and have about 2-3 sections. I am also assuming it is well-known that con law is a curved class in general. So, would it be better to take it now with only one class available, or would it be better to take it when the actual 1L's take it with more than one section and class in place? Which one will help me beat the curve? Will I be compared against the 1Ls if I choose not to take it now? Also note that if I take it next semester (Spring 2017), I'll be sitting in one class full of 1L's, so it will be kind of weird. I am considered a 2L at the new law school.
Last edited by goodman1 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwh8813

Bronze

Re: Transfer Student Take a Curved Class with Part-Time Students

Post by bwh8813 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:01 pm

goodman1 wrote:Hello,

I am a transfer student at a new law school. I am coming in with 30 1L credits which will be awarded to me. However, there is a 1L class that I did not take at my old law school which is generally accepted as a 1L class for all law schools (con law). I have to take con law either this semester (Fall 2016) or Spring (2017) in order to graduate.

At the new law school it is a 4 credit hour class offered the second semester (Spring of academic year) to incoming 1Ls. However, part-time students take it the next academic year after their incoming year in the fall (Fall 2016). Thus, I have the option to take con law now with the part-time students or next year with actual 1Ls.

There is only one class for con law now for the part-time students. I bet with 1L's next year it's going to be more than one class and section, so there will be a stronger curve. We usually admit 230 1L's a year and have about 2-3 sections. I am also assuming it is well-known that con law is a curved class in general. So, would it be better to take it now with only one class available, or would it be better to take it when the actual 1L's take it with more than one section and class in place? Which one will help me beat the curve? Will I be compared against the 1Ls if I choose not to take it now? Also note that if I take it next semester (Spring 2017), I'll be sitting in one class full of 1L's, so it will be kind of weird. I am considered a 2L at the new law school.
Personally, I would take it earlier to get it over with unless it conflicted with a class that you REALLY want to take this Fall. As for your concern with the curve, part-time students generally have less time to devote assuming they are working full-time or close to it. So, though there's no way to "beat the curve" per se, you may be able to have an advantage due to being able to spend more time -- although I know many very smart part-time students who are impressively efficient and do very well. Yes, if you take it with 1Ls you will be graded against those 1Ls in your section.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:19 pm

imo i don't think there's a more prof-dependent doctrinal with respect to grading than Con Law. you sould be basing this decision on grade distributions - not evening kids v. 1L's.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Con Law is a difficult course.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodman1

New

Post by goodman1 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:43 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Con Law is a difficult course.
Y so?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:48 pm

goodman1 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Con Law is a difficult course.
Y so?

Lack of hard and fast rules which means there is room for argument about the application of the law. Con law is constantly subject to change from the Supreme Court. Plus, there are as many theories about Con Law as there are Con Law professors.

Barbri or Kaplan will teach you what you need to know about Con Law for the bar.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodman1

New

Post by goodman1 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Oh I see. Yup, I can see it getting kind of sticky.

Okay, so if I do decide to take it with the 1Ls, I will be compared against all of the 1Ls in each section and class, huh?

In my old law school, we had four sections of 1L's all of the sections were compared against each other and then all the 1Ls within the section as well.

Assuming this is how the curve works for 1Ls at other law schools as well, I should be expected to be put up against all the 1Ls if I take in Spring 2017? Thus, I should take NOW.

goodman1

New

Take a Curved Class with Part-Time Students for Grade Distributions

Post by goodman1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:18 pm

goodman1 wrote:Hello,

goodman1

New

Re: Take a Curved Class with Part-Time Students for Better Grade Distributions

Post by goodman1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:21 pm

Also would it not be better if I took it with 1Ls? The grade distribution would be better compared with 200 entering 1Ls rather than 50-55 part timers and other transfers if they take alongside.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bwh8813

Bronze

Post by bwh8813 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:59 am

goodman1 wrote:Also would it not be better if I took it with 1Ls? The grade distribution would be better compared with 200 entering 1Ls rather than 50-55 part timers and other transfers if they take alongside.
Do all 1Ls take the same exam at your school or is it by professor? My school, and how I thought most if not all were, you're graded on a curve against those in your actual Con Law class -- not the other sections, unless your prof teaches multiple sections. So those 200+ would be irrelevant to you.

goodman1

New

Post by goodman1 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:53 pm

Good question. I believe they don't. At my old law school they did though. I have decided to take with part-timers because of the non-work advantage and less people to gun against.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”