Mistake on resume, disclose?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
owada108

Mistake on resume, disclose?

Postby owada108 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi all,

I was accepted by a school and I'm going to enroll at the school this fall. So I was just reviewing my resume the other day and discovered I made a stupid mistake. I wrote that I interned at a bank during my summer days back in college under my working experience....And I wrote the wrong bank name... :shock: It was a careless mistake because it was kind of like a joint-program and I forgot which bank actually supervised me when I wrote the resume(some banks in my home country are owned by the state so they are kinda the same stuff...you can apply to the internship of B bank and get assigned to A bank, and somehow I wrote B on my resume..)

Should I send an email to the admission office with a new resume? How big a deal is it? Are they going to revoke my offer? Sorry I am a bit paranoid.. :shock: Thanks for the help!

Student of Law

Re: Mistake on resume, disclose?

Postby Student of Law » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:56 pm

I don't think putting the incorrect name of the bank will matter. I would just correct the resume and email the corrected version to the admissions office. In the body of the email, I would briefly point out and explain the change (2-3 sentences). That is pretty much it.

Dear [admissions director]

I am an admitted student who plans to enroll in the fall, and I recently discovered a slight error on my resume. During my 201X summer internship, I stated that I worked for Y Bank. Although Y Bank was part of the internship program in which I participated, I was officially supervised by Z Bank. My confusion arose out of the fact that interns may be assigned to banks to which they did not apply. In my case, I applied to Y Bank but was then assigned to Z Bank for supervision.

I apologize for the error, and have attached an updated version of my resume reflecting the change.

Sincerely,

[your name]

galadriel3019

Postby galadriel3019 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:02 pm

Totally agree with the above. I made a similar mistake but with a year. Just reached out said here is the mistake, here is the fix, and I've attached my resume. It was not turned into a big deal at all.

Student of Law wrote:I don't think putting the incorrect name of the bank will matter. I would just correct the resume and email the corrected version to the admissions office. In the body of the email, I would briefly point out and explain the change (2-3 sentences). That is pretty much it.

I am an admitted student who plans to enroll in the fall, and I recently discovered a slight error on my resume. During my 201X summer internship, I stated that I worked for Y Bank. Although Y Bank was part of the internship program in which I participated, I was officially supervised by Z Bank. My confusion arose out of the fact that interns may be assigned to banks to which they did not apply. In my case, I applied to Y Bank but was then assigned to Z Bank for supervision.

I apologize for the error, and have attached an updated version of my resume reflecting the change.

Sincerely,

[your name]

bwh8813

Postby bwh8813 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:09 pm

owada108 wrote:Hi all,

I was accepted by a school and I'm going to enroll at the school this fall. So I was just reviewing my resume the other day and discovered I made a stupid mistake. I wrote that I interned at a bank during my summer days back in college under my working experience....And I wrote the wrong bank name... :shock: It was a careless mistake because it was kind of like a joint-program and I forgot which bank actually supervised me when I wrote the resume(some banks in my home country are owned by the state so they are kinda the same stuff...you can apply to the internship of B bank and get assigned to A bank, and somehow I wrote B on my resume..)

Should I send an email to the admission office with a new resume? How big a deal is it? Are they going to revoke my offer? Sorry I am a bit paranoid.. :shock: Thanks for the help!

You should update it and let them know of your mistake. It's not a big deal and they are extremely unlikely to care, let alone revoke your offer. But, your application materials become part of your law school file which becomes part of your bar application so you'll want to correct a falsehood, even if it was an honest oversight.

owada108

Postby owada108 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:51 am

Student of Law wrote:I don't think putting the incorrect name of the bank will matter. I would just correct the resume and email the corrected version to the admissions office. In the body of the email, I would briefly point out and explain the change (2-3 sentences). That is pretty much it.

Sincerely,

[your name]

Thanks for the suggestion! I just sent it a few days ago :)

Return to “Law School FAQ”