How to approach 5 section PTs?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Replitz

New

How to approach 5 section PTs?

Postby Replitz » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:24 pm

Now that I'm moving into the PT phase of my prep, I figure it would be smart to practice taking 5 section tests as some users have suggested.

Anyone have advice on how to approach this? Can the experimental section be any of LG RC or LR? How should I score these exams? Ignore the extra section, or randomly throw one out to make it more realistic?

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Re: How to approach 5 section PTs?

Postby pittsburghpirates » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:45 am

Mix in different experimental sections with each new PT because the experimental can be any type on test day. Closer to test day, you can also mix in expiremental sections from your weakest area to further work on those. When I took 5 section PTs i would always score whichever full test i did at that time and score my experimental later. For example, if I took PT 55 and used a section from PT 30 as my expiremental, i graded PT 55 for my score that sitting. Then after 3 more tests, during which i would use the remaining sections of PT 30 as expiremental sections, i would score all of those as a full test to monitor my progress there too.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:08 am

First off, this thread is better suited for the "LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum". Come over to the September study group, we're a fun bunch!

Same as poster above for me, basically. What I'm going to be doing for the 5-section tests when I move on to that stage is taking a single PT and spread the four sections over four 4 PTs. Score them and BR like normal. Then after I've used up all four sections from that test I'm going to add it up and see how I "did" on that test. That way there's motivation to actually perform well on that section as opposed to designating it as experimental from the start, and you get to technically sneak in a few extra PTs into your studying.

Replitz

New

Postby Replitz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:14 am

mwells56 wrote:First off, this thread is better suited for the "LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum". Come over to the September study group, we're a fun bunch!

Same as poster above for me, basically. What I'm going to be doing for the 5-section tests when I move on to that stage is taking a single PT and spread the four sections over four 4 PTs. Score them and BR like normal. Then after I've used up all four sections from that test I'm going to add it up and see how I "did" on that test. That way there's motivation to actually perform well on that section as opposed to designating it as experimental from the start, and you get to technically sneak in a few extra PTs into your studying.

You're right, sorry - it was late and I wasn't paying close attention! If mods see this feel free to move it. But thanks for the advice, I think scoring the Exp section over the course of 4 tests is a great strategy to keep motivated.

Return to “Law School FAQ?