Programs/apps for note taking? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mountainman36

New

Programs/apps for note taking?

Post by mountainman36 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:36 am

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, so please forgive any unintended breaches of etiquette.

After a decade-long career in a different industry, I have decided to attend HLS in the fall. The last time I was in school, I had a flip phone and took notes by hand in a spiral-bound notebook. Things have probably changed a great deal since then; any advice on programs, apps, or techniques that I might find useful, specifically with respect to organization, studying, and note taking? Keeping notes searchable and organized would of course be enormously helpful.

Thanks so much in advance for your insight!

cavalier1138

Re: Programs/apps for note taking?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:10 am

My understanding is that the preferred method of note-taking is OneNote, which comes with Office. So I'd get familiar with that and see if you like it.

There was a program called Circus Ponies, but I think it was mainly for Mac users...?

mountainman36

New

Post by mountainman36 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:04 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Indy16

Bronze

Post by Indy16 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:30 pm

mountainman36 wrote:Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, so please forgive any unintended breaches of etiquette.

After a decade-long career in a different industry, I have decided to attend HLS in the fall. The last time I was in school, I had a flip phone and took notes by hand in a spiral-bound notebook. Things have probably changed a great deal since then; any advice on programs, apps, or techniques that I might find useful, specifically with respect to organization, studying, and note taking? Keeping notes searchable and organized would of course be enormously helpful.

Thanks so much in advance for your insight!
Also to keep in mind--in 8 of my 10 1L classes (at H) laptops were not permitted. So you may be back to the spiral-bound notebooks in class at least. Further advice, try and find the 1L exam taking advice thread here (i think the user is Scribe); very helpful stuff for organization.

EDIT: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=123092

mountainman36

New

Post by mountainman36 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:03 am

Thank you so much for this extremely helpful information!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”