Disclosing schools attended

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
n_lem

New

Disclosing schools attended

Postby n_lem » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:27 am

Hi all, looking for a little guidance here. I'm a student in my thirties who just finished up undergrad and I'm applying to law school this fall. My problem is that I spent a number of years screwing around in different colleges prior to getting my degree at the one I graduated from. Although I absolutely killed it grade-wise over the past four years and graduated suma with a double major, the way the LSDAS is set up my LSDAS GPA would honestly probably be around a 1.5 because of my community college grades. So here's my quandary: I didn't transfer any of those grades in, so in that sense my transcript looks clear and there are no links to my past grades, so I was considering just not disclosing that I had attended the other schools. I did hear something about a clearinghouse that schools could look at that shows an applicant's financial aid history that I guess could clue a law school in in the event that their financial aid office looked at it and alerted the admissions office, but I'm not sure whether that's likely to happen. Let me be clear and say that I really dislike the idea of being somewhat dishonest here, but I just don't see that I have any other choice. Regardless of my grades, recommendations, and LSAT score (which I haven't taken yet, so this might all be a moot point anyway), schools are just going to toss my application without even looking at it, regardless of the fact that I've matured and done extremely more recently. So my questions are as follows:

-Are law schools likely to catch this? (Is it even worth trying?)
-I read something at one point that indicated that something like this might be caught at the point where the bar determines your eligibility, is this likely?
-Am I completely overestimating the importance attached to LSDAS GPAs by law schools compared to the last 2-3 years a student is in school?
-Any other thoughts/advice? I'd appreciate anything you all have to offer.

(Obviously I'm aware that there are law schools out there who will take just about anyone for $50k/year but while I'm not expecting to go t14 or anything I'd like to go t50 and not end up with $200k in debt for a degree from a bottom-feeding school.)

Thanks all!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: Disclosing schools attended

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:59 am

n_lem wrote:Hi all, looking for a little guidance here. I'm a student in my thirties who just finished up undergrad and I'm applying to law school this fall. My problem is that I spent a number of years screwing around in different colleges prior to getting my degree at the one I graduated from. Although I absolutely killed it grade-wise over the past four years and graduated suma with a double major, the way the LSDAS is set up my LSDAS GPA would honestly probably be around a 1.5 because of my community college grades. So here's my quandary: I didn't transfer any of those grades in, so in that sense my transcript looks clear and there are no links to my past grades, so I was considering just not disclosing that I had attended the other schools. I did hear something about a clearinghouse that schools could look at that shows an applicant's financial aid history that I guess could clue a law school in in the event that their financial aid office looked at it and alerted the admissions office, but I'm not sure whether that's likely to happen. Let me be clear and say that I really dislike the idea of being somewhat dishonest here, but I just don't see that I have any other choice. Regardless of my grades, recommendations, and LSAT score (which I haven't taken yet, so this might all be a moot point anyway), schools are just going to toss my application without even looking at it, regardless of the fact that I've matured and done extremely more recently. So my questions are as follows:

-Are law schools likely to catch this? (Is it even worth trying?)
-I read something at one point that indicated that something like this might be caught at the point where the bar determines your eligibility, is this likely?
-Am I completely overestimating the importance attached to LSDAS GPAs by law schools compared to the last 2-3 years a student is in school?
-Any other thoughts/advice? I'd appreciate anything you all have to offer.

(Obviously I'm aware that there are law schools out there who will take just about anyone for $50k/year but while I'm not expecting to go t14 or anything I'd like to go t50 and not end up with $200k in debt for a degree from a bottom-feeding school.)

Thanks all!

Your LSAC GPA will be a calculation of all your credits before and up until your 1st 4-year degree. So I'm afraid I think the bad grades will count. The LSAC asks you to send transcripts from all colleges you attended. I even had to send in a transcript from when I was in high school and took community college courses for a bridge program we had to earn credits while in high school. So even if you didn't transfer them in, you will have to disclose to the LSAC.

Also I don't think you should go to law school, at least with that mentality. You say you have matured, but you're thinking of trying to deceive law schools and thereby the bar committee? No matter how I try to, I just don't see how you can square these two claims. The fact you claim you don't see any choice but to not disclose the truth is troubling because it is so very obvious that being honest doesn't even come on your radar as a choice. It just doesn't seem okay, nor a good idea.

I understand it's frustrating because you got your grades up, graduated summa, and now your past is haunting you. In any case, a mature man in their 30s shouldn't have a mentality like that; especially not one trying to pursue a legal career.

That said, do not go to law school with that GPA. I don't think you'll get in anywhere short of a miracle and even if you do it will be an unaccredited school and no where close to a T50.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mornincounselor

Silver

Postby mornincounselor » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:14 am

Submit your transcripts (yes, all of them :roll: ) and see what LSAC calculates your GPA at. Then focus on the LSAT.

You can submit an addendum highlighting your upward trend.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:31 am

You have to submit all transcripts from all schools you have attended. Your LSAC GPA will include all credits and grades up until your first bachelors degree.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:45 pm

someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but even if law schools don't catch you, the bar will most likely catch it when they do a background check on you, preventing you from practicing law! :shock:

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:28 am

Agree with the other posters who have all unequivocally said that this is a bad idea.

However, if you really did knock it out of the park with your latest four years of school and do really well on the LSAT you still might get some decent offers, even with a crappy cumulative GPA. I'm not the correct person to ask on whether or not this situation calls for an addendum, but four years of great grades is a very solid upward trend. Whoever looks at your application will notice that, and certainly take it into consideration. Also, you said you're a few years removed from school, which places even more distance between yourself and your poor grades at the start of your college career. Don't attempt to deceive anyone, but do craft your applications carefully, with perhaps a personal statement or addendum that in some way addresses how you've grown from your poor academic start. Highlight the good points in your application and see what happens.

Return to “Law School FAQ?