Best college majors for HR Law?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
davidp5118

New

Best college majors for HR Law?

Postby davidp5118 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:01 am

I am looking at becoming an HR lawyer. I have researched it for many years and am confident that it is something I would love to do. however, I am not quite sure what to major in during college!

Most places say Political Science is a great go-to for law school, however most jobs looking for an HR lawyer prefers a BS in something HR related, such as Public Administration.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
David

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: Best college majors for HR Law?

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:12 am

what's so appealing about HR law?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:22 am

pancakes3 wrote:what's so appealing about HR law?

Kind of curious about this too? I think the evidences suggests that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket in plans to practice a type of law you can't be sure you truly want to practice. Often students completely change what type of law they originally thought they desires after finding something else more interesting in law school. In general though, I think the wisdom is to take whatever classes/major is going to net you the highest GPA. Usually the classes you're interested in the most will be more likely the yield higher grades. Deciding between political science and public policy probably isn't all that different.(There are some fundamental differences obviously..) I was a History/Poli Sci double major with a minor in Public policy. A lot of the same classes fulfilled both PP and PS for my degree. This could vary school to school though. Poli sci was a bit more interesting and easier to bullshit for higher grades.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidp5118

New

Postby davidp5118 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:26 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:

Kind of curious about this too? I think the evidences suggests that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket in plans to practice a type of law you can't be sure you truly want to practice. Often students completely change what type of law they originally thought they desires after finding something else more interesting in law school. In general though, I think the wisdom is to take whatever classes/major is going to net you the highest GPA. Usually the classes you're interested in the most will be more likely the yield higher grades. Deciding between political science and public policy probably isn't all that different.(There are some fundamental differences obviously..) I was a History/Poli Sci double major with a minor in Public policy. A lot of the same classes fulfilled both PP and PS for my degree. This could vary school to school though. Poli sci was a bit more interesting and easier to bullshit for higher grades.

Thank you for your response! That makes sense to me, the idea to not really choose a specific field quite yet. However, I am just confused about the process when choosing a field. You finish law school and then what? If I still really wanted to focus on HR would I look for an HR firm?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:49 am

davidp5118 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Thank you for your response! That makes sense to me, the idea to not really choose a specific field quite yet. However, I am just confused about the process when choosing a field. You finish law school and then what? If I still really wanted to focus on HR would I look for an HR firm?

No problem. The short answer is that it depends on what type of setting you're looking to work in. Large firm/mid sized/small/solo. It will also depend on where you go to law school to a large extent. The goal is generally to have a job offer/clerkship by the time you graduate. I think many people get an idea during 1L where you take classes in a little bit of everything. Then you try to get an offer as a summer associate where you can explore what you like by actually doing some work.

I really am not knowledgeable enough to give any good advice. I am a 0L and this seems like a question for one of the knowledgeable TLS vets.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eagle2a

Bronze

Postby eagle2a » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:49 am

what the fuck is hr law

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:56 am

Do you mean human rights or human resources?

Either way, the answer is it does not matter what your undergraduate major is. Major in something that will allow you to maximize your GPA and/or you would enjoy doing if law school doesn't work out.

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Postby Loney M. Setnick » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:17 am

emkay625 wrote:Do you mean human rights or human resources?

Either way, the answer is it does not matter what your undergraduate major is. Major in something that will allow you to maximize your GPA and/or you would enjoy doing if law school doesn't work out.

+1

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:51 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:16 am

Undergrad major doesn't really matter. Just study something you like and get a good GPA.

Lawyers&Commissary

New

Postby Lawyers&Commissary » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:33 am

Literally thought OP was trying to say labor & employment

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:11 pm

Lawyers&Commissary wrote:

Literally thought OP was trying to say labor & employment

I did too and then was like maybe it's actually human rights.

murdock83

New

Postby murdock83 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:26 pm

If you are interested in HR, then get a business degree. Communications may also be another option to that route. HR is a relatively employable field in case law doesn't work out for you and there are plenty of other certifications you can get. Otherwise, major doesn't matter one bit for LS, only GPA. If you are interested in public administration, you may consider getting a MPA instead...probably a lot cheaper than law school.

Return to “Law School FAQ?