Inquiries regarding LSAC credit hour cutoff? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ladyinred88

New

Inquiries regarding LSAC credit hour cutoff?

Post by ladyinred88 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:17 pm

I've wanted to go to law school since 2010. Here is some information regarding my academic and personal background before I type out the few inquiries I have regarding the LSAC procedures:

I am 28 years old and a non-traditional student. My undergraduate history began right out of high school in Fall 2005 and ended in December 2014 (9.5 years). I attribute the length to a serious illness I grappled with, which necessitated much hospitalization. I underwent a procedure in January 2012, and have been doing better health-wise in the ensuing time. 9.5 years in school means a drastic amount of hours and credits, even 30 non-punitive withdrawals. I am not concerned about the withdrawals since I happen to know another individual with 20, that broke the Top 5 with excellent numbers and another individual from my school stated LSAC treated theirs non-punitively which they are. Even when I withdrew, I received at least partial refunds those semesters due to inability to have attended classes. From January 2012-December 2014, I have a 145 credit hour upward trend from attending all 3 terms per year with a 4.0 gpa, making the president's list six times.

When I calculate every grade on my transcript, the absolute gpa comes to: 3.3 and have exhausted my three LSAT attempts - (177,175, and 178) in the following order. Since January 2015, my post graduate work experience has consisted of paralegal, and will have 2.5 years of post grad WE when I apply Fall 2017. I also need to craft a good PS about overcoming health obstacles to where I am today.

Onto the inquiries:

1. Given the three LSAT scores - 177,175,178, will schools average them or focus on the highest attempt?

2. Lastly, when you've attended college for 9.5 years attending/attempting to attend all 3 terms, year round you rack up a lot of credits before the degree date. When I graduated I had: 300 credit hours, 321 gpa hours, and 400 attempted hours (high # of Ws). LSAC explicitly states they calculate to the degree date, but I have heard others on here claim there is a 180 cut-off? Given my extreme amount, should they still calculate to the degree date or would they make a cut-off exception given the extremity of my case?

3. Has anyone on here had a very high number of credit hours/attempted up to your degree date and did LSAC still calculate to the end?

Thank you in advance for all the help. greatly appreciate it!!!
Last edited by ladyinred88 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

ladyinred88

New

Re: Inquiries regarding LSAC credit hour cutoff?

Post by ladyinred88 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:04 pm

Thanks in advance for any help. Would sure appreciate any help I can get.

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:43 pm

ladyinred88 wrote:I've wanted to go to law school since 2010. Here is some information regarding my academic and personal background before I type out the few inquiries I have regarding the LSAC procedures:

I am 28 years old and a non-traditional student. My undergraduate history began right out of high school in Fall 2005 and ended in December 2014 (9.5 years). I attribute the length to a serious illness I grappled with, which necessitated much hospitalization. I underwent a procedure in January 2012, and have been doing better health-wise in the ensuing time. 9.5 years in school means a drastic amount of hours and credits, even 30 non-punitive withdrawals. I am not concerned about the withdrawals since I happen to know another individual with 20, that broke the Top 5 with excellent numbers and another individual from my school stated LSAC treated theirs non-punitively which they are. Even when I withdrew, I received at least partial refunds those semesters due to inability to have attended classes. From January 2012-December 2014, I have a 145 credit hour upward trend from attending all 3 terms per year with a 4.0 gpa, making the president's list six times.

When I calculate every grade on my transcript, the absolute gpa comes to: 3.3 and have exhausted my three LSAT attempts - (177,175, and 178) in the following order. Since January 2015, my post graduate work experience has consisted of paralegal, and will have 2.5 years of post grad WE when I apply Fall 2017. I also need to craft a good PS about overcoming health obstacles to where I am today.

Onto the inquiries:

1. Given the three LSAT scores - 177,175,178, will schools average them or focus on the highest attempt?

2. Lastly, when you've attended college for 9.5 years attending/attempting to attend all 3 terms, year round you rack up a lot of credits before the degree date. When I graduated I had: 300 credit hours, 321 gpa hours, and 400 attempted hours (high # of Ws). LSAC explicitly states they calculate to the degree date, but I have heard others on here claim there is a 180 cut-off? Given my extreme amount, should they still calculate to the degree date or would they make a cut-off exception given the extremity of my case?

3. Has anyone on here had a very high number of credit hours/attempted up to your degree date and did LSAC still calculate to the end?

Thank you in advance for all the help. greatly appreciate it!!!
I had 160 hours and thought I was on the high end. Guess not. Wish I could answer your question, but don't have an answer.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Congrats on overcoming obstacles and scoring so high on the LSAT!!! As far as I know LSAC will count all units you take(including community college) up until you the date you earn your first bachelors degree.

Edit: also they will take your highest LSAT (because that is the one they report to US News)

Edit2: the best way to know for sure would be to call LSAC directly

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”