to be serious, can a jd call him/herself a doctor? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
oriondust2018

New

Re: to be serious, can a jd call him/herself a doctor?

Post by oriondust2018 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:16 pm

No. JD is not a Dr. like a PhD or M.D.
If a JD wants to call themselves Dr., they must enroll in a Doctorate program for law. Then, they would be PhD.

legalace

New

Post by legalace » Mon May 14, 2018 1:04 am

No. JD is not a Dr. like a PhD or M.D.
The J.D. is most similar to the D.D.S. or D.M.D., in that they are sometimes followed by a master's degree in law or dentistry.
If a JD wants to call themselves Dr., they must enroll in a Doctorate program for law.
But you don't make the same assertion regarding Dentistry (D.D.S. or D.M.D.), Medicine (M.D.), Optometry (O.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O), Pharmacy (Pharm.D.), Podiatry (D.P.M., Pod.D., D.P.), or, Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.)?
Then, they would be PhD.
No, then they would be a J.S.D.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon May 14, 2018 8:07 am

legalace wrote:
If a JD wants to call themselves Dr., they must enroll in a Doctorate program for law.
But you don't make the same assertion regarding Dentistry (D.D.S. or D.M.D.), Medicine (M.D.), Optometry (O.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O), Pharmacy (Pharm.D.), Podiatry (D.P.M., Pod.D., D.P.), or, Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.)?
No. Because people with doctorate degrees in medical fields get called "doctor" professionally/socially, and lawyers don't. You need to accept this fact and move on.

legalace

New

Post by legalace » Mon May 14, 2018 11:36 am

No. Because people with doctorate degrees in medical fields get called "doctor" professionally/socially, and lawyers don't. You need to accept this fact and move on.
I accept the fact that that is the reality. I reject the assertion that fact is logical or consistent.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon May 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Oh great, we get to have this debate again. In most states, there aren't outright prohibitions on lawyers calling themselves "doctors". The people that refer to themselves as doctors are massive tools, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon May 14, 2018 7:41 pm

legalace wrote:
I accept the fact that that is the reality. I reject the assertion that fact is logical or consistent.
Why do you care?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”