to be serious, can a jd call him/herself a doctor? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
KeYe88

New

to be serious, can a jd call him/herself a doctor?

Post by KeYe88 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:11 pm

hey all,

can u give your views and provide solid ground to justify,
:D

t-14orbust

Gold

Re: to be serious, can a jd call him/herself a doctor?

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:12 pm

yes but they probably shouldn't and no one else will. just call yourself esquire if you want to be a douche

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:14 pm

No. Real doctorates require much more work and/or actual contribution to research.

The JD is about equivalent to a Master's degree, really.
My Ph.D wife would feed me my severed tongue if I called myself a doctor.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:18 pm

but you're still a doctor of jurisprudence

KeYe88

New

Post by KeYe88 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:22 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:No. Real doctorates require much more work and/or actual contribution to research.

so is there is any wrong with calling oneself a doctor, ethically, practically and legally?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:22 pm

The ABA claims you can, but there is literally no reason anyone ever should.

I had a high school teacher who had a JD and made all students use "Dr. ___"
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:22 pm

I wouldn't even call a Ph.D a doctor. If a Ph.D I know insisted on it, I would relentlessly mock them both to their faces and behind their backs. It's either MD or nothing.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:23 pm

worse is when some comp. lit phd dork DEMANDS that he be called doctor smith rather than professor smith.

KeYe88

New

Post by KeYe88 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:25 pm

t-14orbust wrote:but you're still a doctor of jurisprudence

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctorate

hi dude, i see there are research doctorate and professional doctorate here :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:27 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:No. Real doctorates require much more work and/or actual contribution to research.

Oh the various Ed.D.s and PsyD.s and others with professional degrees have no problem calling themselves doctor. Technically, you have a doctoral degree when you hold a J.D. so you could call yourself doctor, but people would just look real funny at you.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:worse is when some comp. lit phd dork DEMANDS that he be called doctor smith rather than professor smith.
If it's in a classroom, a PhD absolutely has the right to be called doctor. Especially because professor is technically a job title that might not apply to your instructor.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:29 pm

KeYe88 wrote:

so is there is any wrong with calling oneself a doctor, ethically, practically and legally?
Wrong? I don't think so, especially if the ABA says you can, but it's just so douchey.
Nekrowizard wrote:I wouldn't even call a Ph.D a doctor. If a Ph.D I know insisted on it, I would relentlessly mock them both to their faces and behind their backs. It's either MD or nothing.
Depends on the Ph.D., but the shit my wife went through to get that degree was REAL. Tons of research, experiments, desperate fights to get published, bullshit professorial politics with grants/funding, presentations at symposia, etc. Developing actual knowledge expertise in an area is fucking hard.

We do literally nothing of value in a JD program - we "learn" mostly useless stuff in a wide variety of areas and we all get the same basics. There's no independent focus or development of the knowledge of law (and lol at your student note being a 'contribution to the literature' just fucking lol). We are garbage compared to even the most esoteric of Ph.Ds.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:30 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:worse is when some comp. lit phd dork DEMANDS that he be called doctor smith rather than professor smith.
I dunno, I always thought professor was a more exhalted title than doctor. I'd much rather be Professor Flip than Dr. Flip, Ph.D.

To the other point about the Ph.D. having less claim to the title doctor than an MD: That's not right. In the academy, the Ph.D. is the ultimate degree in standing...it's above professional doctorates, professional masters, and research masters.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xspider

New

Post by xspider » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:36 pm

This site is so weird, I assume we all want to be lawyers. But the majority appear to always try to downplay and belittle attorneys in most cases. I wouldn't call myself a doctor once I graduate school, unless maybe in a joke. But claiming people do "nothing of value" in law school and calling us garbage compared to other schools of education is ridiculous.

If people seem to be that ashamed of becoming an attorney, why not do something you would be proud of?

KeYe88

New

Post by KeYe88 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
KeYe88 wrote:

Wrong? I don't think so, especially if the ABA says you can, but it's just so douchey.
Nekrowizard wrote:I wouldn't even call a Ph.D a doctor. If a Ph.D I know insisted on it, I would relentlessly mock them both to their faces and behind their backs. It's either MD or nothing.
Depends on the Ph.D., but the shit my wife went through to get that degree was REAL. Tons of research, experiments, desperate fights to get published, bullshit professorial politics with grants/funding, presentations at symposia, etc. Developing actual knowledge expertise in an area is fucking hard.

We do literally nothing of value in a JD program - we "learn" mostly useless stuff in a wide variety of areas and we all get the same basics. There's no independent focus or development of the knowledge of law (and lol at your student note being a 'contribution to the literature' just fucking lol). We are garbage compared to even the most esoteric of Ph.Ds.
after all a person who has obtained a jd is a doctor of jurisprudence, despite the real doctorate value created by phd, i would regard jd called doctor is ok, but it just seems uncommon, right?

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:41 pm

One day you might be in a situation where a woman is in labor and people are screaming and running around asking if anyone is a doctor. then you can stand and proudly declare that you are a doctor...of jurisprudence

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:43 pm

You will if you go into lit and have to work with expert witnesses.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KeYe88

New

Post by KeYe88 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:52 pm

t-14orbust wrote:One day you might be in a situation where a woman is in labor and people are screaming and running around asking if anyone is a doctor. then you can stand and proudly declare that you are a doctor...of jurisprudence
but why that “of juris...” is required,? a phd is a phd in a particular field only or maybe multiple fields.sure, without thesis a jd is a jd and no research was done, but it is still doctor literally.

i just saw a jd who called herself dr. xx on a forum offensively attacked by people, so i raise a question here.

i understand why people say jd is actually a master, but why dont people say a MA is actually a bachelor because they are only taught degrees.

and in some countries, legal degrees mean llb, so why dont people say jd can be meant to a bachelor degree, given it is only a taught and foundation degree in law.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:53 pm

xspider wrote:This site is so weird, I assume we all want to be lawyers. But the majority appear to always try to downplay and belittle attorneys in most cases. I wouldn't call myself a doctor once I graduate school, unless maybe in a joke. But claiming people do "nothing of value" in law school and calling us garbage compared to other schools of education is ridiculous.

If people seem to be that ashamed of becoming an attorney, why not do something you would be proud of?
Getting a PhD requires you to do actual research and write a thesis that nobody else has ever written. You have to break new ground that literally no other human being has done. It can be small, but this process takes people on average 6 years to do. That's average. 6 straight years of research to create something entirely new. From what I've heard, the thesis defense is many orders of magnitude more humiliating and stressful than anything you will ever do in law school.

Law school is 1 year of a bloodbath, 1 year of just busy work, and 1 year of boredom.

The two are not comparable. Nobody is downplaying law school, but having a JD and wanting to be called "doctor" is like a chess player wanting to be called "athlete."
Last edited by PeanutsNJam on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:56 pm

LOL! I feel the exact same.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:
You will if you go into lit and have to work with expert witnesses.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:58 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
There are many PhDs significantly more difficult to attain than an MD, depending on your thesis. You seriously wouldn't call an astronaut with a PhD in both applied mathematics and astrophysics a "doctor"?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:58 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Nobody is downplaying law school
No no, we are absolutely doing that thing.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:59 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
There are many PhDs significantly more difficult to attain than an MD, depending on your thesis. You seriously wouldn't call an astronaut with a PhD in both applied mathematics and astrophysics a "doctor"?
If they got it at Harvard, sure. Penn? Come the fuck on.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:59 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
Stephen Hawking can't prescribe me painkillers, and that little bitch wants to be called a doctor?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”