What are the five most overranked schools? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
rpupkin

Platinum

Re: What are the five most overranked schools?

Post by rpupkin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:11 am

Clearly wrote:Believe it or not I'm agreeing with you. Sub tiers are stupid and shouldn't be debated. Insisting Penn sucks isn't arguing against sub-tiers, its effectively saying "subtiers exist, and penn doesn't deserve to be in this one". I disagree with that. It truly doesn't matter. Frankly the only thing that determines where students end up in the T14 is where they want to practice and how much scholly money they get. Penn students aren't running around supporting sub-tiers. But if you start shitting on any school, posters are going to defend that school...
Clearly wrote:Honestly, for HYS I don't think anyone will have a solid answer for you. I feel confident that CCNP down prob won't care (I have a friend with 4 takes at one of them) but Yale most likely will be bothered, and I suspect the same for S. If you crush both medians H may let it go, partly as a function of their class size, but I'm honestly just speculating.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:12 am

I'm really done with this debate, but that particular quote was about 4 takes on the LSAT. I happen to have friends at some of those schools with 4 takes, so without wanting to risk their anonymity while still indicating schools in that range have accepted 4 LSATs, I parsed it out that way. I could have said MVP, but that would imply CCN wouldn't take 4 LSATs, which based on what I know, isn't true.

Regardless, I'm sure you could find other examples of me using CCNP, CCN, MVP, HYS, etc. For better or for worse that's how info is conveyed around here, and I'm no different. These things are talked about in the context of the thread. If you're criticizing me for suggesting P is better than M for a poster who wants NYC biglaw, then you're gonna have to cope with that, because P is better than M for NYC biglaw. If a poster wants detroit, I'd tell them to go to M, if they want Chi, I'd tell them to go to NU (and often do), If they want DC I'd prob suggest V. So, if you're asking me if P being mentioned in one group and not another makes it a markedly better school than V in any circumstance, the answer is no.

None of this is that important. They are all great schools. People wanna make rivalries where none exist, I almost went to V, its a great school. I would have no business in this thread if you weren't pulling this Penn sucks schtick allllllll the time. Penn doesn't suck. I shouldn't have played with the trolling, lesson learned. The End.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:46 am

Clearly wrote:I'm really done with this debate, but that particular quote was about 4 takes on the LSAT. I happen to have friends at some of those schools with 4 takes, so without wanting to risk their anonymity while still indicating schools in that range have accepted 4 LSATs, I parsed it out that way. I could have said MVP, but that would imply CCN wouldn't take 4 LSATs, which based on what I know, isn't true.

Regardless, I'm sure you could find other examples of me using CCNP, CCN, MVP, HYS, etc. For better or for worse that's how info is conveyed around here, and I'm no different. These things are talked about in the context of the thread. If you're criticizing me for suggesting P is better than M for a poster who wants NYC biglaw, then you're gonna have to cope with that, because P is better than M for NYC biglaw. If a poster wants detroit, I'd tell them to go to M, if they want Chi, I'd tell them to go to NU (and often do), If they want DC I'd prob suggest V. So, if you're asking me if P being mentioned in one group and not another makes it a markedly better school than V in any circumstance, the answer is no.

None of this is that important. They are all great schools. People wanna make rivalries where none exist, I almost went to V, its a great school. I would have no business in this thread if you weren't pulling this Penn sucks schtick allllllll the time. Penn doesn't suck. I shouldn't have played with the trolling, lesson learned. The End.
If this "bubble" the lower quality of students? I don't really understand this Penn's bubble is bursting. There students still pass the bar at nearly 100%, and the jobs score and salary score on Law School Transparency is fantastic. Calling Penn overrated is kind of strange.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:50 am

I sincerely regret sparking this again.

TCR is don't go to law school, ever.

luckenmeister

New

Post by luckenmeister » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:51 am

OK, idk if it's trolling on this site or not, but wtf is up with the anti Georgetown stuff lol? Only here have I ever heard that Gtwn is a bad school, and the numbers just don't support that (solid biglaw for being in the bloodbath of D.C., great placement for prestigious D.C./gov. positions).

Furthermore, can we all agree that the rankings are somewhat bogus anyhow? Is Y really better than S? Is C really better than P? Is D really better than M? C'mon people :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:57 am

luckenmeister wrote:OK, idk if it's trolling on this site or not, but wtf is up with the anti Georgetown stuff lol? Only here have I ever heard that Gtwn is a bad school, and the numbers just don't support that (solid biglaw for being in the bloodbath of D.C., great placement for prestigious D.C./gov. positions).

Furthermore, can we all agree that the rankings are somewhat bogus anyhow? Is Y really better than S? Is C really better than P? Is D really better than M? C'mon people :roll:
I actually kind of prefer it when people trash my school instead of dumbly supporting it like this.

luckenmeister

New

Post by luckenmeister » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:38 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
luckenmeister wrote:OK, idk if it's trolling on this site or not, but wtf is up with the anti Georgetown stuff lol? Only here have I ever heard that Gtwn is a bad school, and the numbers just don't support that (solid biglaw for being in the bloodbath of D.C., great placement for prestigious D.C./gov. positions).

I actually kind of prefer it when people trash my school instead of dumbly supporting it like this.
Wait, you go there? Nvm, they probably do suck :)

But all jokes aside, Gtwn has ~40% biglaw placement, which is low for the T-14. But I'd assume the majority of those Biglaw students end up in D.C., which would be pretty damn good for most schools. In all, I'd assume it's fairly gravy for the majority, with Capitol_Idea being an outlier.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:14 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:I sincerely regret sparking this again.
Your punishment is the emerging GULC focus of this thread. That won't end well for anyone.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:16 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:I sincerely regret sparking this again.
Your punishment is the emerging GULC focus of this thread. That won't end well for anyone.
Just like my postgraduate career AMIRITE?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:52 am

reasonable_man wrote:So if Op is interested in schools like Uwash, Brooklyn and Carschmozo... It can safely be assumed that the discussion of T14 schools is as applicable to his/her concerns as the ranking of PhD programs in applied Math.

Op - every law school you are thinking about attending - and I mean this - every single one, is drastically overrated.
Troianii wrote:Just to add what I've heard stick out more than once like sore thumbs: Cardozo, American (DC), and ASU. Though I think the first two have seen their rankings drop, whereas ASU has gotten by largely with their school funded jobs.
idk how you took "I've these schools are overranked" and got, "omg, these are the schools I want to go to." :lol:

Seriously, does no one here think this could just be a potentially interesting topic? b/c if not, then idk why grads are posting in the thread...
Last edited by Troianii on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:57 am

Every school outside the top 50 is overranked because they should not exist.

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:04 am

kingpin101 wrote:Every school outside the top 50 is overranked because they should not exist.
That's an interesting thought. It's basically stated in every other thread on TLS, but thanks for bringing in the obligatory nonsense.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Are people really saying Penn is overrated?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:41 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:Are people really saying Penn is overrated?
No they aren't, just let it go.

stretchedtoothin

Bronze

Post by stretchedtoothin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:21 am

kingpin101 wrote:Every school outside the top 50 is overranked because they should not exist.
this is a pretty dumb post

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:44 am

Penn is overrated

cub1014

Bronze

Post by cub1014 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:58 am

As a 0L who didn't apply to Penn but is curious otherwise, can the anti-Penn poster please explain his reasons for why he would place Penn at the bottom of the T-14? I find it hard to believe based on the data, but again, I wouldn't know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:59 am

cub1014 wrote:As a 0L who didn't apply to Penn but is curious otherwise, can the anti-Penn poster please explain his reasons for why he would place Penn at the bottom of the T-14? I find it hard to believe based on the data, but again, I wouldn't know.
I mean, why didn't you apply to Penn? Deep in your heart, you know the truth.

cub1014

Bronze

Post by cub1014 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:00 am

rpupkin wrote:
cub1014 wrote:As a 0L who didn't apply to Penn but is curious otherwise, can the anti-Penn poster please explain his reasons for why he would place Penn at the bottom of the T-14? I find it hard to believe based on the data, but again, I wouldn't know.
I mean, why didn't you apply to Penn? Deep in your heart, you know the truth.
Last edited by cub1014 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:06 am

Every time some new gullible person pops into this thread and gets fooled by rpupkin's trolling, I lose a little more faith in humanity.

Also, rpupkin greatly increases my enjoyment of TLS.

cub1014

Bronze

Post by cub1014 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:08 am

WinterComing wrote:Every time some new gullible person pops into this thread and gets fooled by rpupkin's trolling, I lose a little more faith in humanity.

Figured he was a troll, I've seen him on multiple threads. Just wanted to give him a chance to explain himself in the case he actually did have some sort of reason.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:14 am

cub1014 wrote:
WinterComing wrote:Every time some new gullible person pops into this thread and gets fooled by rpupkin's trolling, I lose a little more faith in humanity.

Figured he was a troll, I've seen him on multiple threads. Just wanted to give him a chance to explain himself in the case he actually did have some sort of reason.
:(

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:21 am

rpupkin wrote:
cub1014 wrote:

Obviously, rpupkin can speak for himself, but I do think he has a reason: This is a pointless exercise, and his anti-Penn jokes are just his way of pointing out the stupidity of this thread.

Based on my observations, when it comes to worthwhile topics, rpupkin tends to be quite helpful.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:35 am

WinterComing wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
cub1014 wrote:

Obviously, rpupkin can speak for himself, but I do think he has a reason: This is a pointless exercise, and his anti-Penn jokes are just his way of pointing out the stupidity of this thread.

Based on my observations, when it comes to worthwhile topics, rpupkin tends to be quite helpful.
Thank you for the kind words. And, yes, you accurately describe my "point," such as it is.

For the record, I did not set out to be an anti-Penn troll. If you look through my post history, you will find examples of me trolling Harvard, Stanford, Yale (even in this thread), CLS, NYU, Chicago, Boalttt, Cornell, UVA, NU, and others. But Penn is the only school with students who bother to respond with posts (and even PMs!) defending Penn from my blatantly obvious trolling. It's impossible to resist perpetuating the troll in such circumstances.

So if Penn students don't like my posts, they only have themselves to blame. Frankly, I also blame the Penn admissions department: they could solve this problem by admitting smarter students. If they do so, they might even forestall Penn's pending tumble to the bottom of the T14.

cub1014

Bronze

Post by cub1014 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:38 am

rpupkin wrote:
WinterComing wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
cub1014 wrote:

Thank you for the kind words. And, yes, you accurately describe my "point," such as it is.

For the record, I did not set out to be an anti-Penn troll. If you look through my post history, you will find examples of me trolling Harvard, Stanford, Yale (even in this thread), CLS, NYU, Chicago, Boalttt, Cornell, UVA, NU, and others. But Penn is the only school with students who bother to respond with posts (and even PMs!) defending Penn from my blatantly obvious trolling. It's impossible to resist perpetuating the troll in such circumstances.

So if Penn students don't like my posts, they only have themselves to blame. Frankly, I also blame the Penn admissions department: they could solve this problem by admitting smarter students. If they do so, they might even forestall Penn's pending tumble to the bottom of the T14.
Makes sense actually, as I've only noticed the Penn trolling since it is so prevalent. Thanks for providing a valuable service.
Last edited by cub1014 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”